Bellamy has Friend waiting to help

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

NATHAN Friend doesn't live on the bread line, but there are weeks when the Melbourne Storm hooker isn't far away.

The former brickie labourer from Toowoomba has been part of Storm's full-time squad for three seasons.

He earns the equivalent of the NRL's minimum wage and he need never worry about the trappings of wealth of some of his more high-profile teammates.

It is a tough slog for a player whose predicament has nothing to do with lack of ability.

As shown by his starring performance for Storm in Saturday night's trial match against Brisbane on the Gold Coast, Friend could easily start at most NRL clubs.

Unfortunately for the 23-year-old opportunities to shine have been few and far between as he battles for game time behind Queensland State-of-Origin hooker Cameron Smith.

"It's hard. Cameron and I came down to Melbourne together but he sort of got the jump on me," Friend said.

"He is obviously a great player, but all I can do is my best and hope that (coach) Craig (Bellamy) can find a spot for me there somewhere."

Friend hopes to snare a bench spot this season, but his best chance of playing with the top team is when Smith heads away on Origin duty.

The remainder of the time he is resigned to playing Queensland Cup for Storm's feeder side Norths Devils.

It is a situation Friend has learned to accept, but it doesn't sit easily with Bellamy, who during the off-season took the astonishing step of offering Friend's services to rival NRL clubs.

"I just know Friendy deserves better than what we can offer him," Bellamy said yesterday.

"If he could find a club where he could get a bit more game time he could play regular first grade. He is a tremendous little player, but he has a real tough task ahead of him trying to unseat Cameron Smith.

"It is a great luxury for our club to have him around at Origin time and I really admire how he goes about things.

"But on a personal level it is a real shame that no one would take him on, because he is a great kid and he is having to play for next to nothing in Melbourne."

Over the past three years the pair have formed a strong bond, and while his first-grade opportunities have been limited, Friend does not regret his move to Melbourne.

"I have a lot of respect for Craig and I appreciate what he has done for me," Friend said.

"I think he has helped me develop over the past few years and it is because of him I am ready to play first grade.

"All I need now is the chance.

"Ideally I'd love to stay at Melbourne, but if I have to go elsewhere to get my career going then I don't think anyone would hold it against me. I can't sit on the backburner forever."

heraldsun.com.au

that sucks for friend.... :cry: he is a really good player...but smith is just too good...bit like teh situation with cronk and hill luckily for cronk he could prolly fit in somewhere else aswell.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

yeah, luckily for cronk, he and hill can switch between lock and 5/8. I guess with no other team willing to take up Nathan Friend, in a way it might be a blessing for us. Hopefully he can slot in the backrow or something as an additional option.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

That's surprising that no one would want such a quality hooker as Nathan Friend... there's no doubt he'd be our number 9 if Smithy wasn't there
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'd of thought Cronk would be the number 9, but Friend would find a place on the bench.
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Nah Cronk would be 6 with Hill 13 ;)
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bellamy's shown a reluctancy to put Hill at lock.
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Yeah - maybe the 13 jumper doesn't fit Hilly anymore!
The way the NRL is at the moment, whoever wears the number 6 and 13 are no big deal, as long as they give the halfback the space he needs and plays the right passes. On a basic level most teams attack one side with the lock, the other with the five-eighth.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

thing is we need hill there close to the play...sure he can stuff up every now and then..but he is a really good player...and need him at 13 or 6....

Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

must... resist.. taking a jab... at... scott hill...

AAAARRGHH!!!
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

LOL

I'm resisting too...
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I wish Craig would play Geyer at Five-Eigth again :? , the man isn't a winger! I think with Cronk now, we have arguably got the greatest depth in the halves in the NRL :D
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2995/mattgeyer0xw.jpg[/img][/url]
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

thinga87 wrote:LOL

I'm resisting too...
I'm not. :twisted:
Unless Hill plays a level above his recent form, I'd like to see Coops in the Storm number 6 sooner rather than later.
Scott's almost as big as Kirk. Bulk him up a little and stick him in as a ball playing back rower (a similar role to Andy Farrell or T ) and get Cronk into 5/8 ASAP.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

thinga87 wrote:LOL

I'm resisting too...
Hey man where'd you get that banner from with the boys wearing the new jersey's?
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I didn't recognise Friend playing on the weekend. Sure, he had the head gear, but man has he slimmed down. He just looked like a shorter Dallas Johnson.
*Champagne football*