Where To Stay In Melbourne?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If my holidays fget approved, I'm expecting to be down in Melbourne for the opening round, but I have a few questions.

Where are the best (yet not heaps expensive) places to stay down in Melbourne that are nearby to the ground?

Where is the best place to sit at the ground?

Anyone know where I can get a map of Melbourne without having to spend 20-30 bucks for one just for a weekend trip?

Where is it that everyone goes after the games? I know it's been mentioned dozens of times, but my memory is about as useful as my intellignece. (At least that's what I've been told) :)
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hi LR

I've just done a quick check on www.racv.com.au and there's a few places in Richmond but I have no idea what they're like. I know you said not expensive but do you mean like not the Hyatt expensive or not a Best Western expensive. If yes, then you're probably better off at a backpackers or similar. I say Richmond because its probably the closest suburb and you can easily get a tram straight to the ground. Otherwise you're probably looking at the CBD.

As for sitting at the ground. The first game is on a Sunday afternoon and if its sunny you'll get the sun in your eyes in the Eastern Stand. The entertainment faces the Western Stand. You can get a general admission ticket and then upgrade on game day. That's if this is still the same as last year. We won't know what the prices/deals are until we get our memberships.

If you hire a car you usually get a Melways with it. If not, the RACV/NRMA usually have reasonably priced maps available and have members' discounts.

After the game, we go to the social club in the foyer of Vodaphone Arena which is right across the road.

Hope this helps.
PD
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Lord Reynoldson wrote:Anyone know where I can get a map of Melbourne without having to spend 20-30 bucks for one just for a weekend trip?
http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/ They have an Adobe reader format map you can download, that covers the CBD & surrounding suburbs,(including OP) - Their 'tourism service' should be able to give you reliable info on good cheap accomodation.
"We are the puppets and fate the puppeteer
This is not a metaphor, but a truth sincere
On this stage, fate for sometime our moves steer
Into the chest of non-existence, one by one disappear.
"

[i]Omar Khayyam[/i]
PD
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

We even have accomodation with your name on it :lol:
http://www.lordslodge.com.au/
"We are the puppets and fate the puppeteer
This is not a metaphor, but a truth sincere
On this stage, fate for sometime our moves steer
Into the chest of non-existence, one by one disappear.
"

[i]Omar Khayyam[/i]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Lord Reynoldson wrote:Where is the best place to sit at the ground?
Best place to sit depends on personal preference.
Rabble_1
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

jellyhead wrote: After the game, we go to the social club in the foyer of Vodaphone Arena which is right across the road.
There is talk doing the rounds at the moment that Vodaphone won't be our social club this season, it may be the Lexus Centre.
If ants are such busy workers,
how come they find time to go to all the picnics?
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Rabble_1 wrote:
jellyhead wrote: After the game, we go to the social club in the foyer of Vodaphone Arena which is right across the road.
There is talk doing the rounds at the moment that Vodaphone won't be our social club this season, it may be the Lexus Centre.
:shock: OMG I hope that doesn't mean we're going to have to mix it with the Collingwood supporters AAARRRGGGHHH! :shock:
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

jellyhead wrote:
Rabble_1 wrote:
:shock: OMG I hope that doesn't mean we're going to have to mix it with the Collingwood supporters AAARRRGGGHHH! :shock:
Nothing has been agreed upon last I'd heard.
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

jellyhead wrote: I know you said not expensive but do you mean like not the Hyatt expensive or not a Best Western expensive. If yes, then you're probably better off at a backpackers or similar.

As for sitting at the ground. The first game is on a Sunday afternoon and if its sunny you'll get the sun in your eyes in the Eastern Stand. The entertainment faces the Western Stand. You can get a general admission ticket and then upgrade on game day.

If you hire a car you usually get a Melways with it. If not, the RACV/NRMA usually have reasonably priced maps available and have members' discounts.

Hope this helps.
I was thinking like not Hyatt expensive, but I could easily go at a backpackers for a night or two.

Sounds like the way to go with the GA and then upgrade on game day.

I have no idea what a Melways is, but I'm fine for walking everywhere.
PD wrote:We even have accomodation with your name on it :lol:
http://www.lordslodge.com.au/
With a name like that, it must be a top class establishment! :D I actually don't mind the price or location of it. Seems like a pretty damn handy spot to me.

Thanks for your help guys.

With the ground seating, fan-wise, which is generally the loudest and most vocal groups located?

And what about the banner? Any ways for a New South Melbournian to be out there with the other supporters that take the banner out and raise it for the guys to run through? I've often seen things about helping the banner crew out, and if I head down there earlier in the week, I'd even love to help with the making of it. At the moment I'm going down on the Friday or Saturday.

Thanks for your help guys!
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

A Melways is the Melbourne version of Sydway or a Gregorys.

The loudest fans? Not sure but the group that sing the chants sit in the Marcus Bai stand I think or just to the left of it in the Eastern Stand.

The banner making is usually on a Wednesday or Thursday night I think in Oakleigh (eastern suburbs I think - I'm a westie so not 100% on that - I just know its a bloody long way for me to get there by 6pm)!
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

You could still watch or help with the banner as it is attached to the poles about 2hrs prior to the start of the game.

Contact Rabble1 as he was organiseing it last year,.

I hope we will have a banner this year. I havn't been in contact.

I'll probably investigate this closer to the start of the season.

You can get decent cheap accomadation in the outer suburbs that might be worth investigating???
:D
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
JJ
Squall
Squall

Mike_The_Undertaker wrote:You could still watch or help with the banner as it is attached to the poles about 2hrs prior to the start of the game.

You can get decent cheap accomadation in the outer suburbs that might be worth investigating???

Mike, you watch us make it at oakleigh lol
This is just AAS on hes OWN computer!!!!. I can't remember the password of AAS
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

JJ wrote:
Mike_The_Undertaker wrote:You could still watch or help with the banner as it is attached to the poles about 2hrs prior to the start of the game.

Hmmmmmm there seems to be a certain CEO that wants the sack :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It appears that watchers are no longer welcome at Oakleigh :|
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

jellyhead wrote:The banner making is usually on a Wednesday or Thursday night I think in Oakleigh (eastern suburbs I think - I'm a westie so not 100% on that - I just know its a bloody long way for me to get there by 6pm)!
If you can't make it by 6pm you can still help out. I too am a westie and don't get to banner making until about 8:30pm. As much as I like to help out I like to go home and change, cook and eat dinner before heading over to Oakleigh.

All help is welcome as we very rarely finish before 10pm.
JJ
Squall
Squall

Mike_The_Undertaker wrote:
JJ wrote:

Hmmmmmm there seems to be a certain CEO that wants the sack :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It appears that watchers are no longer welcome at Oakleigh :|

but remember a certain CEO can give the Coach a sack. LOL
This is just AAS on hes OWN computer!!!!. I can't remember the password of AAS