Latest Update on Tawera

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
NZ Storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

foxsports.com.au wrote:FORMER Kiwi rugby league forward Tawera Nikau has targeted a return to sporting competition next month as a paraplegic athlete.

Nikau, who had his right leg amputated below the knee after a motorcycle accident last July, is in training for the Eve Rimmer Games, in Tauranga on March 18-21.

He said today that he has been preparing for some of the field events, including the discus, shot put and javelin, and an ambition further down the track is to compete in the Paralympics.

While Nikau mentioned the Athens Games in September, a Paralympics New Zealand official said he would not have enough time to be a serious contender for the team, due to be named next month.

Whatever happens, Nikau is pleased to have a sporting goal in front of him once more.

While he still feels some pain in his body now and then, "physically and mentally, I'm fine".

"It's really good to have something to train for," he said.

"When I was playing football, I was really focused and it's good to be back in that mode again."

He said he did a bit of athletics during his school days and his best discipline then was middle distance running.

"I also used to do the high jump and stuff like that. I like all sport really."

Nikau, who played 19 Tests for New Zealand between 1990 and 1997 and was a NRL premiership winner with Melbourne in 1999, is still strongly involved with league.

He is coach of the Waikato-based WaiCoa Bay Stallions, who make their debut in the Bartercard Cup this season, and said his disability didn't pose too many problems.

"Obviously I can't run and tackle like I would like to do," he said.

"But I can still demonstrate a lot of the skills and stuff that we do, and at the moment things are going pretty well."

The accident that shattered Nikau's leg happened near the North Island township of Ohinewai, in the Waikato, when his 1450cc Harley Davidson clipped a four-wheel-drive vehicle going the other way.

He said his machine has been repaired and he will definitely be riding it on the road again.

Great to see T is doing well 8)
Silkin
Squall
Squall

Go T
Don't Leave it to Fate
She's a Fickle Bitch
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

on ya BIG "T"

ill be cheering him on..for sure...always have :wink: