2019 Trials

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bring on a Tino debut!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Excited to see what Tino can do. We need someone to force their way into the pack and light a fuse under the rest of them.

Hope for Hughes' sack he doesn't lose his spot because of all these knocks.

Roy Ward dropped this in his match report after the Warriors game and I don't think it was by accident -
Questions about Drinkwater's lack of size and his command of the defence remain after some fierce hits from the Warriors but Hughes and Papenhuyzen face similar queries and Drinkwater's ability to attack the line looks attractive.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:20 am
Hope for Hughes' sack he doesn't lose his spot because of all these knocks.
How many knocks to his sack were there? :lol: :lol: :lol:
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Haha hopefully not many.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2019/02 ... l-v-storm/

Star recruits Jordan Kahu, Nene Macdonald and Josh McGuire have been named to make their first appearance in Cowboys colours in the club’s second and final pre-season trial against the Melbourne Storm at Mackay’s BB Print Stadium on Saturday evening.

Along with the three newcomers, North Queensland Toyota Cowboys head coach Paul Green will unleash a number of other big guns who were rested during the club’s first trial against the Gold Coast Titans last weekend.

Kahu has been named at fullback for his first Cowboys hit-out less than two weeks after joining the club.

Exciting wing duo Macdonald and Kyle Feldt are joined by centres Ben Hampton and Justin O’Neill.

Michael Morgan will make his long-awaited injury return at halfback and Te Maire Martin retains his No.6 jersey after a strong performance against the Titans.

After wearing his famed No.13 jersey against the Titans, Tongan superstar Jason Taumalolo moves to the second row for the club’s second trial, with McGuire to start the game at lock.

Matt Scott and Jordan McLean retain their front-row spots as does hooker Jake Granville with second-rower Coen Hess rounding out the forward pack.

Gavin Cooper and John Asiata will make their 2019 debuts from the interchange and are joined by forwards Mitch Dunn and Scott Bolton, centre Tom Opacic and half Jake Clifford.

Saturday’s game kicks off at 7pm.

Cowboys team to play Storm:

1. Jordan Kahu
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Justin O’Neill
4. Ben Hampton
5. Nene Macdonald
6. Te Maire Martin
7. Michael Morgan
8. Matt Scott
9. Jake Granville
10. Jordan McLean
11. Jason Taumalolo
12. Coen Hess
13. Josh McGuire

14. John Asiata
15. Gavin Cooper
16. Mitch Dunn
17. Scott Bolton

18. Tom Opacic
19. Jake Clifford
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Cowboys have named a strong team. The fact that they only named 19 players indicates that they are treating it as a more serious hitout than us and trying to somewhat replicate NRL conditions.

The additions of Kahu, Macdonald and McGuire are big. Questions remain over their centre pairing and halves. I imagine the Storm will target both edges if we can hold onto the ball for more than 7 seconds per set...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Late Mail - Cowboys Trial

Sandor Earl has been promoted to the starting side for our trial against the Cowboys on Saturday night, replacing Josh Addo-Carr who will miss the game for personal reasons.

Prop Christian Welch is out with a virus and will be replaced in the run-on 13 by Tui Kamikamica, while second-rower Joe Stimson has also been withdrawn due to back soreness and will be replaced on the extended interchange bench by Kelma Tuilagi.

A crowd of around 8000 is expected to flock to BB Print Stadium tomorrow night for the sold-out pre-season clash.

Head coach Craig Bellamy said the trial was an opportunity to build on last week's game against the Warriors.

"This is our last trial so hopefully we progress a little on what we did last week," he said.

"(During trial games) we put into practice everything we need to perfect before the season proper.

"We have lost a few players late but we had a fair sized squad so we will cover those guys and hopefully they are good for round one."

Melbourne Storm v North Queensland Cowboys

Saturday, 2 March
BB Print Stadium Mackay
Kick-off at 7.30pm (QLD time)

1. Scott Drinkwater
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Marion Seve
4. Curtis Scott
5. Sandor Earl
6. Cameron Munster
7. Brodie Croft
8. Tui Kamikamica
9. Cameron Smith
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenny Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

14. Brandon Smith
15. Tom Eisenhuth
16. Kelma Tuilagi
17. Jesse Bromwich

18. Tino Fa’Asuamaleaui
20. Ryan Papenhuyzen
22. Billy Walters
23. Justin Olam
24. Cheyse Blair
25. Patrick Kaufusi
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Albert Vete?
Bartos
Squall
Squall

Is tonight's game at 8pm Victorian time or 9pm?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kick-off is 7:30pm QLD time. So 8:30pm VIC time.
Bartos
Squall
Squall

Cheers
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not sure how much he'll deserve it but pretty sure Earl's gonna be playing first grade this season. Too good of a redemption story for it not too.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:29 pm Not sure how much he'll deserve it but pretty sure Earl's gonna be playing first grade this season. Too good of a redemption story for it not too.
Not sure how though Blazza ?

Is Bellamy seriously gonna leave out Suli, Foxx, Curtis or Will without a reason ?

If Sandor Earl's pressure for a position makes Will Chambers pull his head in and return to his form of 2015 - 2016 then I'm ok with that.

Not saying you're wrong...just can't see how it will happen unless someone's form drops off majorly.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Origin or injury I'd have thought
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I would leave out Chambers. I know I am in the minority on this, but I think as a player he is a waste of space. Just my opinion. Not trying to start a war of words with anyone, just what I think.