Munster to Fullback in 2019?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/camer ... 21cf59799f

Cameron Munster opens up on how much he wants the Storm No.1 jersey after Slater retires

Courier Mail
17th Dec 2018

Storm and Queensland sensation Cameron Munster has admitted his desire to play at fullback for the Storm is so great that he’d be willing to give up his Queensland No.6 jumper.

In a wide-ranging exclusive interview with The Courier Mail’s Peter Badel, Munster opened up about the toughest month of his life, revealing he received threats after his grand final shocker and was left heartbroken by the tragic suicide of a footballing friend.

Speaking about his on-field desires, Munster said he was keen to replace the retired Billy Slater as Melbourne fullback – even if it could cost him his Queensland No. 6 jumper.

“Fullback has always been my favourite spot, it’s all I wanted to do,” he said.

“I didn’t expect myself to adapt so easily to the five-eighth role.

“It’s a discussion that me and ‘Bellyache’ (coach Bellamy) have had and what is best for the team.

“My ambition is to wear the Storm No. 1 jumper and if it means I lose the Queensland and Australian five-eighth jumpers, well that’s something I have to face up to.”
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The story also has an embedded video of his brilliant intercept try for the Capras.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Personally, I think the team benefits more overall with Munster at 6 and Hughes at 1. You can't begrudge a player though who wants to play in their preferred position.

Looking forward to seeing how pre-season pans out.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I’d love to see Cam at FB and drinkwater at 6 Croft at 7...I know I’m dreaming I’m not sold on Hughes yet
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Honestly I don’t think he’ll be given up his rep jumpers if he moves back to fullback anyway. Just think, the other two players that were in the running for the fullback spot were Valentine Holmes and Kalyn Ponga, Holmes is gone to the NFL and Ponga is moving to 5/8 anyway. He’d have a fight to get the Australia #1 with Tedesco but even if he doesn’t get that I could still see him at 5/8 for Australia (it’s not like there are a whole heap of other better options) or even centre or wing or at very least a bench spot
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think the team would have better balance with him at fullback but it also depends on who the halves are as well. I love both Hughes and Drinkwater. Hughes has earned the right to be in the team. He has a strong running game and wont do much wrong. I also think Drinkwater being a halfback until only the last year or two is a huge thing not talked about at all. I'm unsure why he was moved away from there if the long term outlook of the team was taken under consideration. He has actual ball playing and kicking ability that Hughes doesn't quite bring to the team right now.

Croft's development might help decide on his halves partner. The way he adapts to more responsibility will be key for us this season.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/origi ... e457d124fa

Cameron Munster has made it clear that he wants the Maroons No.1 jersey in 2019
AAP
19th Dec 2018

The battle for the 2019 Queensland No.1 jersey is already heating up, with Maroons five-eighth Cameron Munster declaring he wants the job next year.

Melbourne playmaker Munster has already made his intentions clear he aims to replace Billy Slater as Storm fullback in the 2019 NRL season following the Queensland great’s retirement this season.

But Munster has raised eyebrows by claiming he also wants to fill the Maroons fullback vacancy created by Slater’s exit, putting him on a collision course with hot favourite Kalyn Ponga.

Newcastle’s Ponga appeared first in line for the job following Cronulla flyer Valentine Holmes’ shock NFL defection in the off-season.

However, Munster wants to be considered for the Queensland fullback role next year, even if it costs him his Maroons No. 6 jersey.

“A lot of people thought that Kalyn Ponga or Val would be the Queensland fullback next year but if I was to be considered as well, that would be great,” Munster told Former Origin Greats website.

“I know that it could cost me a State of Origin jumper, but I’m not a selfish player, I’ll play for the Maroons wherever they want me.

“If Kevvie (Queensland coach Kevin Walters) chose me at five-eighth, of course that would be an honour.”

Munster said he had already told Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy he wanted the Storm No. 1 gig in 2019.

The recently re-signed Storm playmaker is also hoping to be considered as a future Melbourne and Queensland captain after a year of redemption.

Munster has reversed his fortunes after facing a career crossroads just 12 months ago when he was sent home from Kangaroos camp during the 2017 World Cup.

“I’m pretty lucky to be surrounded by some great leaders at the Storm. Cameron Smith is probably the best captain you can ever have, but I feel in the next phase of my career leadership and captaincy is definitely a goal of mine,” Munster said.

“I’m in no rush. When Cam retires, Jesse Bromwich is here as well and he’s captained his country, so we’re not short of leaders.

“But I’d like to think as I get older I can take some stuff from those guys and one day grow into a leader at this club.

“I’ve had to learn the hard way at times off the field, but I feel I’ve grown up a lot this season.”
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not sure how Munster is on a collision course with Ponga given that Ponga will supposedly switch to 5/8 fulltime in 2019...

Good to read that he has leadership ambitions. He needs to exhibit those qualities for an extended period though.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Although Munster at FB would be great I think losing an effective, big body defender from the line and possibly a good young fullback would hurt more.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Munster is good enough to play whatever position he wants. Hughes at 6 is a fine alternative. I see him more likely to break the line thanks to his speed and agility but it will be a bigger ask for him to deliver on the defensive end.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote:Munster is good enough to play whatever position he wants. Hughes at 6 is a fine alternative. I see him more likely to break the line thanks to his speed and agility but it will be a bigger ask for him to deliver on the defensive end.

Finchy was a MONSTER tackler.....

Hughes could easily learn to do the same with the right coaching.

I really believe Hughes could be a great 6.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Well said Storm Spirit. In many cases defence is an attitude and there are many cases of smaller guys who are good defenders because they put their bodies on the line.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

We won a comp with MG at 5/8.
Now I love the bloke dearly, but I think Hughes is already at least as good in the 6 and there's plenty of room to improve.
Munster showed a couple of years back just how good a fullback he could be.

Just my 2 cents.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We’d have the most inexperienced starting halves combo in the league. I guess it’s a long season and I should have a bit more faith.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I’m not going to say defence is overrated for halves but a team can get away with it if the player is good enough with the ball. And I feel like Hughes to 6 doesn’t make sense because Munster is already better there and we get a worse ball player next to Croft that way.