Billy set to announce retirement

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Phillip Island Storm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Channel Nine just announced Billys retirement
Phillip Island Storm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I feel so privileged to have lived at a time to have watched one of the true great legends of our great game. We are going to miss this once in a lifetime player.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Phillip Island Storm wrote:Channel Nine just announced Billys retirement
No, that is not correct. Channel Nein have run an article (with no supporting evidence) saying that they expect Billy to announce his retirement in the next few days.

Big difference.

Let's just wait and see before we go into panic mode shall we?
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

TC wrote:
Phillip Island Storm wrote:Channel Nine just announced Billys retirement
No, that is not correct. Channel Nein have run an article (with no supporting evidence) saying that they expect Billy to announce his retirement in the next few days.

Big difference.

Let's just wait and see before we go into panic mode shall we?

Gilbert Gardiner from HS is reporting that it will be announced on Wednesday. This guy if you can call it is a credible journo - so have a feeling this is correct
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

He and his family have a special story on Thursday Night's NRL Footy show. They filmed is the other day, so some of the video will already be leaked, so it might be talked about in that special. Seeing Channel nine pays him he would give them the details.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Presser called for 1pm today, SAY IT AINT SO!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I pass AAMI every morning on foot to work and today was by far the busiest day in terms of players and officials getting to the club early, it's brewing
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

My favourite ever player...

When this really sinks in, it will hurt. How lucky have we been to have this bloke at our club?

These legends can't play forever though and on the positive side - we are well placed as a club. Jahrome Hughes is a star and Munster has come of age.

Last edited by yourhero on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Look it's probably true.

I'm going to miss him but with Munster, Hughes and then rookie backup of Papenhuyzen we could hardly be better placed for life without the great man.

Hopefully we can send him out with another premiership under his belt. He deserves it.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I can't be sad because he's going out on top. What an absolute champion of our game and would surely be in the conversations for immortal status in a few years since he's changed the way the fullback position is played.

To many Melbourne people unfamiliar with rugby league Billy Slater IS the Melbourne Storm with his career highlight reel unmatched by anyone in purple including GOAT.

So proud of him for everything he's accomplished. What a wonderful example he's set for all the young storm players to follow.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Danger D wrote:I can't be sad because he's going out on top. What an absolute champion of our game and would surely be in the conversations for immortal status in a few years since he's changed the way the fullback position is played.

To many Melbourne people unfamiliar with rugby league Billy Slater IS the Melbourne Storm with his career highlight reel unmatched by anyone in purple including GOAT.

So proud of him for everything he's accomplished. What a wonderful example he's set for all the young storm players to follow.
WELL SAID
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think we'll look back at last season and wonder how he did it. I'm still amazed that a player in his 30's coming off serious injuries and no football for basically two years can still come in an be one of the best players in an elite sport. It was legendary imo.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:I think we'll look back at last season and wonder how he did it. I'm still amazed that a player in his 30's coming off serious injuries and no football for basically two years can still come in an be one of the best players in an elite sport. It was legendary imo.
100%. One of Rugby League's greatest ever comeback stories. If not the greatest.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:I think we'll look back at last season and wonder how he did it. I'm still amazed that a player in his 30's coming off serious injuries and no football for basically two years can still come in an be one of the best players in an elite sport. It was legendary imo.
well said...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mystormboys wrote:
Danger D wrote:I can't be sad because he's going out on top. What an absolute champion of our game and would surely be in the conversations for immortal status in a few years since he's changed the way the fullback position is played.

WELL SAID
+ 1....
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time