Official Injury Updates Thread

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So Albert and Ryley drop out of the 21..maybe Jesse is back
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So initial speculation after the Knights game is that Cameron Smith suffered a Grade 2 AC Joint injury. I didn't know exactly what that meant, so had a bit of a read this morning.

https://sma.org.au/resources-advice/inj ... nt-injury/
Sports Medicine Australia wrote:A grade 2 injury will involve complete rupture of the acromioclavicular ligament and partial tear of the coracoclavicular ligament. This tearing allows the clavicle to move upward, and as a result the bump on the shoulder is more pronounced. Pain is more severe and movement of the shoulder is restricted. Return to play – minimum 4-6 weeks.
Looks to be a frustrating type injury. You have to give it time for the ligament to heal adequately, or it will just tear again.

---

NRL Physio has Tweeted that Grade 2 AC Joint injury typically sees NRL players return in 2-4 weeks.

Surely Smithy gets a scan today to confirm extent of the issue. Ideally it's only Grade 1 and he can get a needle, pad it up and play again in a week or so. But if his shoulder was noticibly popping up at the joint, grade 2 is likely.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

AC Injuries are a real bastard. Annoying, painful and restrictive. (Is this the voice of experience? Oh yes.)
It needs to be managed properly or will only get worse.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Rothfield tonight on 360 said Frank P told him late today it is low grade AC, no surgery, 2 weeks off- but if it was a final next week he would play. So that is good news.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'm sure CAm will go above an beyond in his rehab
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The team sheet will be interesting this afternoon. I wonder if there is any chance that Smith is named...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... -round-13/

Football Operations Coordinator Ryan Hoffman has the latest on injured players as we head into Round 13 of the Telstra Premiership.

Scans have confirmed a low grade AC injury for captain Cameron Smith.
"We will monitor him over the next week or two," Hoffy said.

Centre Justin Olam was a late out ahead of our round 12 match.
"That was precautionary more than anything, he injured his ankle at training so we rested him," Hoffy said.
"He should be right to go next week."

Paul Momirovski had surgery on his finger last week and is expected to spend a long stint on the sidelines.
"(Paul) looks like he’ll be out for 12 weeks," Hoffman said.
"It's a weird one, you don't often see a long term finger injury, it's unlucky.

"Brenko Lee also had surgery on his broken hand and he looks to be back hopefully in the next two to three weeks."

Tui Kamikamica is on the long road to recovery following his back surgery.
"Tui is improving now, he's doing a lot better after surgery," Hoffy said.
"He's up and moving which is great and we are seeing some progress, but we don’t really have a timeline for his return.

"Max King is slowly getting into full training after he hurt his achilles.
"We will monitor him over the next week and increase his workload. TBA.

"Jahrome Hughes is fine, he just had a corky in the hip (on Sunday)."

Marion Seve will be out for at least a week after suffering a head cut during Sunday's match.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I heard momovski went back to Sydney not sure if that’s true or not
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:58 pm I heard momovski went back to Sydney not sure if that’s true or not
That's OK with me.....but we'll have Harry back then thank you !
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Storm Spirit wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:59 pm
sallymay wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:58 pm I heard momovski went back to Sydney not sure if that’s true or not
That's OK with me.....but we'll have Harry back then thank you !
I'm not sure if this is the place or even if the information is correct but according to NRL.com, https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/07/sto ... th-tigers/ no one is standing in the way of Harry Grant, assuming he returns from injury in time, of playing against his original side. Very good of the Storm, very interesting how other clubs are dealing with the same scenario with some of them not allowing the player to play against their original side. Panthers for one, how insecure these teams must be.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Bullucked wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:56 pm ...according to NRL.com, https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/07/sto ... th-tigers/ no one is standing in the way of Harry Grant, assuming he returns from injury in time, of playing against his original side. Very good of the Storm, very interesting how other clubs are dealing with the same scenario with some of them not allowing the player to play against their original side. Panthers for one, how insecure these teams must be.
Storm and the Tigpies, at least, seem to have grasped the player loan concept in the spirit that it is used in European Soccer. Well done to the clubs.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So Munster is out with a knee injury again possibly 2 weeks

Interesting to hear from Bellamy the Cam Smith didn’t even go to the game today and Bellamy said he didn’t know when he would be back
Kya
Squall
Squall

I think it’s more than likely that Smith plays this week. Typical cloak and daggers from Storm about Smith injury.

I think you’ll find the reason Smith wasn’t there today was because the moment Storm play a Sydney team or travel to Sydney, they are required to go back to the harsher Apollo stage 2 restrictions.
( essentially non stop modified quarantine
I.e can’t leave resort, confined to training and limited resort facilities with no interaction with outside, confined to their rooms when not training or group activity)

They had been allowed a bit more freedom while they were playing Queensland teams and before Qld closed their borders again. Basically as of yesterday they are in a rolling quarantine period until restrictions are eased .

Smith and Finucane (not sure if he was at game) will more than likely head into that bubble today. Remember that Smith has 3 kids he enrolled at school up there for term 3 & 4 and therefore will unlikely see them for a bit due to the harsher restrictions Storm will now face for the rest of the year.

Just for clarification Nsw and Qld had different restriction levels the last few weeks due to the changes in outbreaks . All Players /staff are still in bubble but the only way NSW teams were allowed to fly into Qld was if they agreed to go back to stage 2 restrictions. Qld clubs were able to enjoy a bit more freedom but now face same restrictions.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Kya wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:37 am I think it’s more than likely that Smith plays this week. Typical cloak and daggers from Storm about Smith injury.

I think you’ll find the reason Smith wasn’t there today was because the moment Storm play a Sydney team or travel to Sydney, they are required to go back to the harsher Apollo stage 2 restrictions.
I.e can’t leave resort, confined to training and limited resort facilities with no interaction with outside, confined to their rooms when not training or group activity)

They had been allowed a bit more freedom while they were playing Queensland teams and before Qld closed their borders again. Basically as of yesterday they are in a rolling quarantine period until restrictions are eased .

Smith and Finucane (not sure if he was at game) will more than likely head into that bubble today. Remember that Smith has 3 kids he enrolled at school up there for term 3 & 4 and therefore will unlikely see them for a bit due to the harsher restrictions Storm will now face for the rest of the year.

Just for clarification Nsw and Qld had different restriction levels the last few weeks due to the changes in outbreaks . All Players /staff are still in bubble but the only way NSW teams were allowed to fly into Qld was if they agreed to go back to stage 2 restrictions. Qld clubs were able to enjoy a bit more freedom but now face same restrictions.
I agree too. Not only this but the NRL Physio said two weeks out for an injury like Smith's is actually just one game really and referred to similar cases in the NRL.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Kya wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:37 am I think it’s more than likely that Smith plays this week. Typical cloak and daggers from Storm about Smith injury.

Many thanks for that clarification.