Official Injury Updates Thread

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wow… That’s not a good sign.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

yourhero wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:41 pm Wow… That’s not a good sign.
It is what it is.
Last thing we want is a Cordner type situation where he kept coming back too soon and got knocked out quickly.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It is what it is.
Last thing we want is a Cordner type situation where he kept coming back too soon and got knocked out quickly.
And no doubt Paps will be targeted all the time. I'd be very surprised if this doesn't happen again.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... -round-16/

RedZed Injury Report: Round 16
melbournestorm.com.au
Tue 29 Jun 2021

The good news first: our Origin reps reported no injury concerns following Origin II. Still a few guys on the sidelines heading into round 16 - Football Operations Coordinator Ryan Hoffman gives us an update.

Tom Eisenhuth (dislocated elbow)
Sidelined since: Round 15
A stalwart of this injury list, Tom dislocated his elbow during our round 15 match.
"You could see he was in a fair bit of pain, the poor guy," Hoffman said.
"He was alright once they put the elbow back in and he doesn't require surgery.
"He is getting some more scans to determine his time out."

Harry Grant (hamstring strain)
Harry also left the field during our last game with a hamstring issue.
"It's a low grade injury for Harry," Hoffman said. "We expect he will be out for 2-3 weeks."

Reimis Smith (ankle)
It was a horror night for injuries in round 15; our third casualty was Reimis who didn't return to the field after he rolled his ankle while scoring his second try.
"He's touch and go for this week," Hoff said.
"We will re-assess as we get closer."

Brandon Smith (calf)
No need to stress about this one according to Hoff and Cheese himself.
"As Brandon said after the match, there was a bit of grade three carry on," Hoffman said.
"He was taken off more as a precautionary action - he only had a calf cork."

Jesse Bromwich (elbow)
Sidelined since: Round 14
Jesse was rested in round 15 due to an ongoing elbow issue.
"He should be sweet for the Roosters game," Hoff said.

Kenny Bromwich (ribs)
Sidelined since: Round 13
Kenny hasn't played since he copped a big hit in our game against the Titans.
He had his ribs injected with a pain killer last week to see if he could play through his injury but it wasn't effective.
"We expect he will play in round 17," Hoff said.

Ryan Papenhuyzen (concussion)
Sidelined since: Round 10
Paps has returned to full training but the healing process after a concussion isn't linear.
"Although I'd love to give an update about when I'll be back playing, this is just one of those injuries where I'm not able to do that," Paps said in a note shared on Twitter.
"The club has been great, treating this with caution and going above and beyond to provide the best treatment and information for me.
"Missing footy games and not being able to be myself is frustrating for me and the people close to me... hopefully back out there soon."

Max King (achilles)
Sidelined since: January 2021
Max is making slow progress after a number of setbacks during his rehab (following off-season surgery). Still no expected return date yet.

Ryley Jacks (ankle)
Sidelined since: Round 14
Another player who has been in the wars this season, Jacksy injured his ankle during our ISC feeder club clash. Scans confirmed his ankle isn't broken, but he will spend another few weeks on the sidelines.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Frank Ponissi was on SEN this afternoon. Frank said they were hoping for Ryan Papenhuyzen and Harry Grant to both play against Newcastle Knights at AAMI Park on 17 July.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scooter wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:56 pm Frank Ponissi was on SEN this afternoon. Frank said they were hoping for Ryan Papenhuyzen and Harry Grant to both play against Newcastle Knights at AAMI Park on 17 July.
Thanks Scooter . I just listened to the interview ( thanks to the Storm website ) and it all sounded very encouraging. Much more upbeat re Ryan than the CEO was a few days ago.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Harry Grant officially ruled out of Origin 3.
Mstorm1999
Squall
Squall

I think storm need to think seriously if Harry comes back from injury and gets injured again, that would be the 4th time this year his been injured which isn’t good signs at the beginning of someone’s career.

Give him next year and see how things go but if he continues to get injuries next year as well then I think the best option would be to lock up b smith as our long term hooker.

As much as I want Harry to be our long term hooker you can’t look past these injuries so early on in someone’s career especially if he comes back and then gets injured again, hopefully it’s just an unlucky year and he stays on the field and fit next year!
Trainb
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Mstorm1999 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:15 pm I think storm need to think seriously if Harry comes back from injury and gets injured again, that would be the 4th time this year his been injured which isn’t good signs at the beginning of someone’s career.

Give him next year and see how things go but if he continues to get injuries next year as well then I think the best option would be to lock up b smith as our long term hooker.

As much as I want Harry to be our long term hooker you can’t look past these injuries so early on in someone’s career especially if he comes back and then gets injured again, hopefully it’s just an unlucky year and he stays on the field and fit next year!
The guy is made of glass (see other thread)
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We clearly need a minimum age on here
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... -round-19/

Round 19 Injury Update
Paps - Back this week! Finally! Needs to get through this week with a bit more contact.
Grant - Not in the team training just yet, but is doing some running. Expected back against Manly in Round 21.
Eisenhuth - Back in full training with controlled contact. Expected back against Manly in Round 21.
Jennings - PCL, will be out 4-6 weeks.
Jacks - Rehab work away from the team. Not in the Storm team bubble and based in Brisbane. Can be called into the bubble if required.
Lee - Rehab work away from the team. Not in the Storm team bubble and based in Brisbane. Can be called into the bubble if required.
King - Sent back home for the rest of the year (Hunter Valley).

Felise, Dale and Munster being rested after Origin and the ridiculous back and forward travel from MEL->BRI->MEL->BRI. I suggest Dale would have missed through concussion anyway.

No update provided on Tyson Smoothy, but I imagine he isn't too far away.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mstorm1999 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:15 pm I think storm need to think seriously if Harry comes back from injury and gets injured again, that would be the 4th time this year his been injured which isn’t good signs at the beginning of someone’s career.

James Tedesco used to be very injury prone in his first years in the league. I hear he went on to have a pretty decent career.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:37 amJames Tedesco used to be very injury prone in his first years in the league. I hear he went on to have a pretty decent career.
But that seems like a pretty big anomaly. For every James Tedesco or Benji Marshall story, there is 100 guys that fade off and are lost to the game.

Having said that, I don't think Harry will drop off or continue to have injury issues. I think he is still destined for great success in Rugby League. Harry also doesn't from my knowledge, have a history serious injuries (ACLs, Shoulder reco's, etc). It has been meniscus, medial and hamstring dramas and mostly limited to the past year.

Just as a point of conversation though, since Round 12 of last year (and including this week), Harry has played 12 out of a possible 25 NRL games (48%). Brandon has played 24 out of a possible 28 (86%) in the same period. If anything, 12 months ago I would have guessed the other way around, just with the way Brandon plays throwing his body into every contact.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:52 am https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... -round-19/

Round 19 Injury Update
Paps - Back this week! Finally! Needs to get through this week with a bit more contact.
Grant - Not in the team training just yet, but is doing some running. Expected back against Manly in Round 21.
Eisenhuth - Back in full training with controlled contact. Expected back against Manly in Round 21.
Jennings - PCL, will be out 4-6 weeks.
Jacks - Rehab work away from the team. Not in the Storm team bubble and based in Brisbane. Can be called into the bubble if required.
Lee - Rehab work away from the team. Not in the Storm team bubble and based in Brisbane. Can be called into the bubble if required.
King - Sent back home for the rest of the year (Hunter Valley).

Felise, Dale and Munster being rested after Origin and the ridiculous back and forward travel from MEL->BRI->MEL->BRI. I suggest Dale would have missed through concussion anyway.

No update provided on Tyson Smoothy, but I imagine he isn't too far away.

Tyson has been named in the Falcons ISC squad …I believe cause he is on a development contract he isn’t in the bubble like Ryley and Brenko …currently living on the SC and playing ISC this week