World Club Challenge

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Storm Spirit wrote:*lima lima lima duck* the world cup challenge...we survive to win NRL Grand Finals.....that is ALL that matters.

The sooner every player at Melbourne Storm realises that is ALL the membership base cares about...the better
I'd argue that. For a lot of us the Shield is actually more important than the Trophy.

The JJ Guiltinan Shield is for the team that was most consistent across 26 rounds - win that and you are the best team all year.
The Provan Summons trophy is for the best team on the day, sure it's nice and I party as hard as anyone when we win one - but as we have seen, if you have a bad day (2008), or things don't quite go right on the day (2016) you can fall short. Then there's games that you are just reffed out of (Paul Simpkins you cockwomble)!
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote:
Storm Spirit wrote:*lima lima lima duck* the world cup challenge...we survive to win NRL Grand Finals.....that is ALL that matters.

The sooner every player at Melbourne Storm realises that is ALL the membership base cares about...the better
I'd argue that. For a lot of us the Shield is actually more important than the Trophy.

The JJ Guiltinan Shield is for the team that was most consistent across 26 rounds - win that and you are the best team all year.
The Provan Summons trophy is for the best team on the day, sure it's nice and I party as hard as anyone when we win one - but as we have seen, if you have a bad day (2008), or things don't quite go right on the day (2016) you can fall short. Then there's games that you are just reffed out of (Paul Simpkins you cockwomble)!
Fully understand the logic behind holding up the 26 round JJ Giltinan shield as the pinnacle...

maybe I should have said winning the GF was important many...myself included.

Under the current system, unless Storm make and win the GF they aren't recognized officially by the NRL as having achieved much...all the fanfare is for the GF.

Don't get me wrong...i actually agree with you TC...winning the comp over 26 rounds and being crowned champions is a much better reflection of the strength of a team
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Storm Spirit wrote:
TC wrote:

Fully understand the logic behind holding up the 26 round JJ Giltinan shield as the pinnacle...

maybe I should have said winning the GF was important many...myself included.

Under the current system, unless Storm make and win the GF they aren't recognized officially by the NRL as having achieved much...all the fanfare is for the GF.

Don't get me wrong...i actually agree with you TC...winning the comp over 26 rounds and being crowned champions is a much better reflection of the strength of a team
That's cool, and don't think I don't think winning Premierships is important - I certainly do. I proudly keep and wear my collection of Premiership T-shirts (including 2007 and 2009) ;D
I agree that the media (in particular) and lots of fans think a season is a failure unless you win on the last day of the year. And I know that when I played footy I didn't count a season as a real success unless we won the grand final. (I didn't have many "successful" seasons :( )
It wasn't until I played in touch comps with no finals but promotion/relegation that I really started to see the value in being best over a season, not just good enough and then best on one day.
Freeze
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

World Club Challenge could still be on according to Phil Rothfield from The Daily Telegraph.

"VICS UP TO CHALLENGE
RUGBY league’s World Club Challenge may not only be saved but could return to Australia in January.

The match looked set to be abandoned because no leading NRL clubs, including premiers Melbourne Storm, were prepared to travel to England to play Super League champions Leeds.

Clubs felt the trip was too onerous on players who will have played and travelled extensively during the World Cup which does not finish until December. But NRL head of strategy Dave Silverton has opened negotiations to bring Leeds to Australia before the start of next season to play at AAMI Park in Melbourne.

If the event were to go ahead, it would attract millions of tourism dollars to Victoria.

It would be a coup for the Victorians who would be able to showcase their champion rugby league team to the rest of the world."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... c059467d39
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Please just don't make it February 4!
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I hope it happens. I like the wcc
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Freeze wrote:World Club Challenge could still be on according to Phil Rothfield from The Daily Telegraph.

"VICS UP TO CHALLENGE
RUGBY league’s World Club Challenge may not only be saved but could return to Australia in January.

The match looked set to be abandoned because no leading NRL clubs, including premiers Melbourne Storm, were prepared to travel to England to play Super League champions Leeds.

Clubs felt the trip was too onerous on players who will have played and travelled extensively during the World Cup which does not finish until December. But NRL head of strategy Dave Silverton has opened negotiations to bring Leeds to Australia before the start of next season to play at AAMI Park in Melbourne.

If the event were to go ahead, it would attract millions of tourism dollars to Victoria.

It would be a coup for the Victorians who would be able to showcase their champion rugby league team to the rest of the world."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... c059467d39
Needs to happen. Should have happened in 2013.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

It would be great to be World Champions again.

Especially against our particular nemis - Leeds

There is something to being World Champions

and if we can play it at AAMI

I reckon we can get 30,000 there all screaming for the Storm and over a million watching on Channel 9s No 1 channel.

It would help sell the Melbourne Storm to the current people in Melbourne who are still just getting interested in the Storm NOW
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I like the idea of the World Club Challenge but it's basically just a glorified pre-season match. When you factor in the travel and the disruption that has - nah. If Leeds and Super League want it to go ahead they can come here.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron wrote:It would be great to be World Champions again.

Especially against our particular nemis - Leeds

There is something to being World Champions

and if we can play it at AAMI

I reckon we can get 30,000 there all screaming for the Storm and over a million watching on Channel 9s No 1 channel.

It would help sell the Melbourne Storm to the current people in Melbourne who are still just getting interested in the Storm NOW
I hate Leeds... but I DESPISE Wigan! Although they did beat Cronulla last year and I found myself quietly pleased about that.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

absentee wrote:I like the idea of the World Club Challenge but it's basically just a glorified pre-season match. When you factor in the travel and the disruption that has - nah. If Leeds and Super League want it to go ahead they can come here.
I agree the SL champs should come here because I would like to see it played here.

Glorified pre season game? Not so much. I doubt the players would agree with you on that.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

LESStar58 wrote:
absentee wrote:I like the idea of the World Club Challenge but it's basically just a glorified pre-season match. When you factor in the travel and the disruption that has - nah. If Leeds and Super League want it to go ahead they can come here.
I agree the SL champs should come here because I would like to see it played here.

Glorified pre season game? Not so much. I doubt the players would agree with you on that.
I'm not sure about that. I guarantee Bellamy would.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I would love us to play Leeds again. We would smash em.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

anyone heard if we are going or Leeds are coming here, or is all still as clear as mud?
Storm2016
Squall
Squall

hopefully its going ahead.

Id love to see it here, i think on the weekend of Feb 16-17 given Billy and Cam only return on Feb 1 and we are locked into the NQ game the next week.

Zero chance of us going over there i reckon, only goes ahead if they come here, which hopefully will happen