another trial for the storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

the Melbourne Storm coaching staff have decided to add another pre-season trial match to the schedule.

The Storm will play Central Comets in Rockhampton on February 5th before the Brisbane Broncos game at Carrara and the North Queensland Cowboys in Cairns.

The Rockhampton hit-out will be a chance for several young players to impress the coach Craig Bellamy who returns from Tri-Nation duties early December.

storm site
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

It sucks that there are no Victorian trials for the second year in a row.
cheriebee
Squall
Squall

yeah it does suck big time that there is no trial games in Vic next year, but there was one in Wagga this year, and last year in Morwell.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

What is the date of the Cairns game?
Im heading up there for that if the timing's right.
Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

The Rocky game will be just a bit too far for me to get to. From the sounds of it it will be mostly Norths players along with the new signings anyway.

The Cairns game is on the 25th I think. It's a Friday night game anyway.
*Champagne football*
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

You Victorians will obviously think it's unfair, but for us out of state Storm supporters, it could be our only chance to see our team in the flesh for the entire season - so I think it's a great idea to branch out of Victoria and get some exposure and interest in the Storm and their players during the preseason - bring it on I say! :wink:
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

here here.. :D

Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Insomniac wrote:You Victorians will obviously think it's unfair, but for us out of state Storm supporters, it could be our only chance to see our team in the flesh for the entire season - so I think it's a great idea to branch out of Victoria and get some exposure and interest in the Storm and their players during the preseason - bring it on I say! :wink:
I for one think it's more important for the Storm to grow by exposing more Victorians to rugby league matches.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

yeah thats important...but...maybe they can play half of them in VIC and others in QLD and NSW

PD
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

KINGY wrote:yeah thats important...but...maybe they can play half of them in VIC and others in QLD and NSW
:sign5: They already play half a season in NSW

I can see the logic in the QLD ttrial games for the coaching staff,but it does leave a fertile field for all those "Storm are moving to QLD" merchants dontchya think ?
"We are the puppets and fate the puppeteer
This is not a metaphor, but a truth sincere
On this stage, fate for sometime our moves steer
Into the chest of non-existence, one by one disappear.
"

[i]Omar Khayyam[/i]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

yeah they play half the season in NSW but im talkin bout the trials....and msot of the staduims are like 3 hours from me..so i cant get to them...so if they played more trials round here...tehn i could see them more...

Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surandy wrote:I for one think it's more important for the Storm to grow by exposing more Victorians to rugby league matches.
Spoken like a true Victorian! :lol:

If you could have seen the support for the Storm that grew from their Toowoomba trial against Brisbane last year, thanks largely to Kirk sponsoring a bus load of support from his small QLD hometown, I think you may disagree (almost :wink: ). Broncos supporters were not happy with their team for not hanging around after the game, and were turning to the Storm players for autographs and photos.
The Storm have all season to expose Victorians to rugby league, but only a few weeks to not only get outside support, but to trial the young QLDers from the Devils in their own 'backyard', without having to fly them to Melbourne for trials.

Like I said, for some of us it's our only chance to see and mingle with our Storm - believe me, if I were asked to give up trial games to see all of the home games, I wouldn't be complaining!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The difference is though that down here it is about exposing people to what has always been regarded a foreign game. It isn't just about gaining support for the club, but for the game of Rugby League, and then that support should hopefully transfer onto the Storm.

I understand we have supporters interstate who don't get to see the boys play much, but as a club in its early stages, creating a core of support in the home state is crucial!!!!!
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

i see a parallel between the arguments that Storm needs to build home support before reaching out interstate and how the NRL needs a stronger NSW support before expanding.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thunderstruck wrote:i see a parallel between the arguments that Storm needs to build home support before reaching out interstate and how the NRL needs a stronger NSW support before expanding.
I get what you are saying but I don't think it's quite the same.

NSW & Qld have had 96 years to develop and grow the game. They currently have considerable exposure to rugby league through the NRL, NSWRL, QRL and CRL.

Victoria on the other hand has Melbourne Storm...................and a very distant second we have the MRL & VRL.

I am not saying all of Storm's trial matches should be in Victoria, but I believe there should be one trial game played in regional Victoria every year.