Qualifying Final: Storm vs Eels

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Haha of course. Random minutes and random times during the game = Bellamy having a definitive role for him. Of course no one else could fill that specific role.
tigerr
Squall
Squall

Wow Broncos almost beat Roosters after playing awful. Just goes to show favourites tag means nothing in a one off game
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Haha of course. Random minutes and random times during the game = Bellamy having a definitive role for him. Of course no one else could fill that specific role.
Yes blazza, as you've proven time and time again you know much better than Bellamy....
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Instead of just the usual "because Bellamy knows more than you bs". Why not have an actual discussion on the reasons why he's playing?

Since origin, we've played two games where the forward pack has essentially been full strength and Smith played the full 80 minutes. Griffin played 26 minutes in one and 8 in the other. 5 runs for 35 metres and 22 tackles, 0 missed. Very good defender, but is that enough impact to warrant playing over any of our other forwards in a win or go home finals game?
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I have often wondered whether Griffin is on the bench as a plan B because the GOAT's sternum needs a bit more maintenance then we the public have heard about.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Itzbek the Purple wrote:I have often wondered whether Griffin is on the bench as a plan B because the GOAT's sternum needs a bit more maintenance then we the public have heard about.
Yeah, fair point... Also as discussed at length previously, with our forwards capable of long, quality minutes, we can afford to carry a smaller 'spark' type player without too much risk.

If Brandon wasn't injured, I'd be begging for him to make the 17 over Griffin.
tigerr
Squall
Squall

This game has me worried. Hope it's not like when the Warriors beat us at Olympic Park when it was 1st v 8th
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote:Instead of just the usual "because Bellamy knows more than you bs". Why not have an actual discussion on the reasons why he's playing?

Since origin, we've played two games where the forward pack has essentially been full strength and Smith played the full 80 minutes. Griffin played 26 minutes in one and 8 in the other. 5 runs for 35 metres and 22 tackles, 0 missed. Very good defender, but is that enough impact to warrant playing over any of our other forwards in a win or go home finals game?
as you say, very good defender but 'little impact'. half of the game is defence, he is in there strengthening the middle when other defenders are tired towards the end of the half/match. How much 'impact' did storm legend Dallas Johnson have. not much on the running meter but massive on defence.
also his service from dummy half people say it is slow, not that I've noticed but I have noticed it is pretty accurate and hits the receiver where he wants it.
tigerr
Squall
Squall

I was reading in the Herald Sun today that Parramatta has beaten us at AAMI in the last two games we have played against them.

They have also won 10 of their last 11.

Not sure how they are paying $5.50
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

coupy73 wrote:also his service from dummy half people say it is slow, not that I've noticed but I have noticed it is pretty accurate and hits the receiver where he wants it.
You haven't noticed the slow service out of dummy half?

He regularly risks being pulled up for a forward pass because by the time he releases the ball, the receiver is almost in front of him.

I hope he comes on and kills it though.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

coupy73 wrote:How much 'impact' did storm legend Dallas Johnson have.
Career:

59.66 Metres per game
34.80 Tackles per game at 94.86% Effectiveness
16 Line Breaks
8 Line Break Assists
5 Try Assists
87 Offloads
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Really comparing an 80 minute lock to a guy who comes off the bench. Hmmm.

Not many small middle forwards going around these days. Wonder how Dallas would be used.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The role Dallas once played is now dead. Lock is now just another prop. A prop with a big motor.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

tigerr wrote:I was reading in the Herald Sun today that Parramatta has beaten us at AAMI in the last two games we have played against them.

They have also won 10 of their last 11.

Not sure how they are paying $5.50
I think both times they beat us we were without origin players????
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We're 1-17