Jesse Bromwich - Cocaine Allegation

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

First of all I was angry but now I really don't believe any of it....

first of all if the police had evidence against these two they would've been charged straight away like Shaun Kenny dowell and the Sharks CEO the fact they weren't charge makes me believe the dude that was in court was just naming players he had seen to get the them in trouble

Second the alleged evidence of cctv is where...the news had Shaun Kenny dowells cctv footage within an hour of his arrest and the arrest of the Sharks CEO cctv footage came out like 3 hours after it happened yet no footage of these two

Thirdly news reporters are normally on to it and know every detail within two or three hours....I've spoken to a few reporters who have said they know nothing accept this guy in court named them

The whole thing is odd

Innocent till proven guilty and even then if guilty I say give them a suspension monetary fine councilling rehab and make them earn their spot back in the reserves and make them work volunteer for a local junior club (in JBs case not the one his son is at)
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I am sure as it is a Storm player NOTHING will be covered up. What makes me think this is untrue (wait til I see real evidence) is that Bellamy has always said that Jesse has old fashioned values. Suppose like everyone else will have to wait and see. Storm won't cover up anything either in case it blows up in their face if ALLEGATIONS are true
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Here my two cents and without judgement. If he has Jess needs to be a man of integrity and come out quickly with his story of events and say he stuffed up and accept his punishment and then redeem himself nothing good comes from trying to hide the details. If he is no guilty he and the storm need to go after any and all that have put a cloud over his name and his integrity as this happens every year to our club reporting before the facts last year in think it was two of our players in a fight with no facts they report things with no evidence just to get their name out in the lime light the old saying don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. I will be disappointed with my first statement but angry with my second as one has helped this club greatly and may of made an error of judgement but the other is thought out and self promotion of the worst kind.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

This is uncharted territory for the club now. In the last 20 years, we must be the cleanest club in terms of off field player behaviour (especially for players involved with illegal drugs). I can't think of any other player problems to be honest apart from Arana Taumata getting sacked in 2009 for getting into a fight and Rodney Howe busted for steroids way back in 1998.

The Storm must kick the boot into Jesse if he is found guilty. Don't care if he is the best prop in the world or a future captain of the Storm, there should be no tolerance whatsoever for this.

It's funny when you laugh at other club's player indiscretions, and you think surely it would never happen to the Storm.
big jack
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

sallymay wrote:First of all I was angry but now I really don't believe any of it....

first of all if the police had evidence against these two they would've been charged straight away like Shaun Kenny dowell and the Sharks CEO the fact they weren't charge makes me believe the dude that was in court was just naming players he had seen to get the them in trouble

Second the alleged evidence of cctv is where...the news had Shaun Kenny dowells cctv footage within an hour of his arrest and the arrest of the Sharks CEO cctv footage came out like 3 hours after it happened yet no footage of these two

Thirdly news reporters are normally on to it and know every detail within two or three hours....I've spoken to a few reporters who have said they know nothing accept this guy in court named them

The whole thing is odd

Innocent till proven guilty and even then if guilty I say give them a suspension monetary fine councilling rehab and make them earn their spot back in the reserves and make them work volunteer for a local junior club (in JBs case not the one his son is at)

I hope you're right, but I think there's a fair bit of wishful thinking here.

Arresting the players would not be as easy as in the cases of Keogh and SKD - they were both caught with the drugs on them so that's an immediate possession charge. Here, neither player has been caught with drugs and even CCTV footage still carries some element of doubt.

Then there's the matter of process - the alleged crimes we committed in the ACT but the suspects have now flown back (presumably) to Victoria and Queensland. That means if they re to be charged either Federal Police will have to fly to them or the Feds will have to liaise with the state police. They could just decide it's not worth the effort.

Even if they aren't charged, though, there will still be an NRL integrity unit investigation to go through. Unless both players flatly deny the allegations and can convince the NRL this bloke has just put their names out there to take attention off himself (which seems very unlikely) then they're both in trouble.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The allegations weren't by the man who appeared in court - they were by police who allegedly observed CCTV footage of the pair.

This is an interesting one - Barba tested positive to drugs on two separate occasions. The first was kept private, the second led to a ban/ sacking by his club.

The point here being that Barba tested positive to an anonymous test - here we're dealing with allegations of vision aired.

It's likely the NRL will hand Bromwich a 12-game ban (which is normally for a second strike offense) unless he's already had an issue no one knows about.

The real question here is what the Storm's management does. Apparently there were issues getting in touch with him yesterday to hear his side of the story. I've read Dave Donaghy's comments and it sounds like even if the NRL hand him a ban he could face further punishment.
Last edited by riders of the storm on Sun May 07, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mystormboys wrote:I am sure as it is a Storm player NOTHING will be covered up. What makes me think this is untrue (wait til I see real evidence) is that Bellamy has always said that Jesse has old fashioned values. Suppose like everyone else will have to wait and see. Storm won't cover up anything either in case it blows up in their face if ALLEGATIONS are true
Never mind that he is a Storm player.

He is a rugby league player. He will be judged more openly in the court of public opinion for this reason alone.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bushman wrote:Here my two cents and without judgement. If he has Jess needs to be a man of integrity and come out quickly with his story of events and say he stuffed up and accept his punishment and then redeem himself nothing good comes from trying to hide the details. If he is no guilty he and the storm need to go after any and all that have put a cloud over his name and his integrity as this happens every year to our club reporting before the facts last year in think it was two of our players in a fight with no facts they report things with no evidence just to get their name out in the lime light the old saying don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. I will be disappointed with my first statement but angry with my second as one has helped this club greatly and may of made an error of judgement but the other is thought out and self promotion of the worst kind.
I met Wendell Sailor a few years ago when he published his book and he was the nicest, most sincere human being I've been fortunate to meet.

It was just after the Knights final in 2013 and we were talking about the ball Slater dropped that lead to a Knights try and he said "we all make mistakes. Read my book. I'm living proof of that."

Something tells me Jesse is the same and i think he will man up. Smith and Bellamy will hammer home to him just how much he has hurt the club and his family.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:First of all I was angry but now I really don't believe any of it....

The whole thing is odd

There's only one way to know for sure; drug test him.
Rina
Squall
Squall

I find this hard to admit because Jesse is my fav at the storm - but, if true, snorting in public is really cocky. I'd like to know whether this is something he's done before. If so, and the club has had some insight - holy hell.

It's also not a good look to be unreachable to your club after this hits the media. Doesn't really display ownership of mistakes. He'll have to though. Test him and if he's positive he'll have to face whatever the NRL AND the club throws at him. All nice now he's already signed on for the next couple of years. Both him and Kev don't have negotiations and contract extensions to worry about.

How long does cocaine stay in the system? These guys better not be hiding until theres no evidence.

Very disappointed in him.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

As fans we expect SO much from our players. How many of us could take the physical punishment, all the other expectations, for a limited time in a career? The argument is they are well rewarded for it all & they get to do what we would all love to do - play the game we love, etc etc....I don't agree. How many of us experience the pain these guys face day in and day out, from training, game day and time away from family in our everyday life? Not many of us. Not to mention horrendous physical injuries (and in some cases, life-threatening ones). Give them a break! And on top of that the fans (and the NRL) want to add pressure by reducing interchanges, change rules to quicken the game, make it more of a spectacle for the public...without a thought to how it affects these guys we expect to turn up EVERY time! and provide us with not only entertainment but wins! And premierships!
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

How many of us have a number of surgeries within a 1, 2 3, - 10 year span (if we're lucky) in the course of our careers? Come on, tell me now...
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally, totally anti-drugs of any kind, and am not making any excuses, but for you or me to think of a punishment for these guys is ridiculous...role models or not, walk a mile in their shoes
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Alrighty official statement is out..... What an idiot
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chip wrote:As fans we expect SO much from our players. How many of us could take the physical punishment, all the other expectations, for a limited time in a career? The argument is they are well rewarded for it all & they get to do what we would all love to do - play the game we love, etc etc....I don't agree. How many of us experience the pain these guys face day in and day out, from training, game day and time away from family in our everyday life? Not many of us. Not to mention horrendous physical injuries (and in some cases, life-threatening ones). Give them a break! And on top of that the fans (and the NRL) want to add pressure by reducing interchanges, change rules to quicken the game, make it more of a spectacle for the public...without a thought to how it affects these guys we expect to turn up EVERY time! and provide us with not only entertainment but wins! And premierships!
They know what they are getting themselves into and should be prepared to act according to the club, league and fan expectations. If they can't handle the heat - get out of the kitchen. They are not employed by the club to act like a rockstar, drink as much as possible, black out and take illicit drugs.

They get the best access to treatments, support ect there's no way in hell there's any justification that "their job is hard" can make up for this.

I wish a reporter would do some more investigating into cocaine use in the league. I'd put my house on it that there's several in each team that do it when they go out. Everyone loves the euphoria of drinking but the physical effects are hard to mask. cocaine will give you a buzz and no hangover or bad skin folds. This let's some people have their cake and eat it too!

I think they've gotten a bloody good result all things considered , especially when theres players like barba who copped it. Also, if you our my employer found out we took illicit drugs I think HR would call a meeting so quick our head would spin.

I've got to say I always thought that JB was carving out this mentor type role in our club, giving the young kiwi lads something to aspire to, a very stoic and strong figure, similar to what someone like Kidwell did. He's worked hard at that and I think his poor choices will have a permenant effect.

It's also alarming that as soon as JB and KP are reunited they act like idiots. Makes me think, is this the first time they've done it or first time they've been caught?