Round 3 Storm v Broncos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I am just watching today's Offsiders and Richard Hinds said "there is a little word around that Billy (Slater) will be back Thursday night"
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Jason Ryles said today on foxsports he is 50-50 chance. What do people think about starting him on the bench
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I am guessing that this game was targeted by him for quite a while. If he is lacking a little confidence , a home game with an adoring crowd behind him would be far more attractive than Belmore or NZ. Query even if he starts off the bench. I know there will be those who say that is rubbish , and that once the medical staff say he is ok then he should put his hand up wherever the game is. However he has played one game in 21 months or so, and is a human being with the same doubts we all can have.

As he is a champion of our club, I am very happy to allow him to come back on his terms.

I really hope it is this Thursday.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep given the expected clear conditions and opposition open attack we can afford to carry a back on the bench.
Not sure where he'd be used but it'll be awesome to see him run on.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Anyone know if Jesse will return?
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

The other thing could be if it go pear shape for Billy then he gets one last home game. But I'm hoping it goes reLy well for him as he deserves it for the work he has done to get back.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Honestly, there is no room for him in the starting line up in my opinion. Lets be real, the combinations in place at the moment have been worked on for the best part of a year, they are also the future combinations of the club... Does Billy feature in them? Also, is it in the clubs best interest to shift Munster, or shift Jacks? the future of our club will have to take a back seat.

Would love to see him on the bench in the short term.

I still think the club is going to nurse him, the only reason I can imagine him playing this (and I will put on my conspiracy tin foil hat) is because a lot of the broncos are internationals or origin players that have a long standing history with Slater and the potential for a cheap shot off the ball, working the shoulder in contact,or hits from behind is reduced.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good point Nacho. I can see Blair, McGuire or Sims giving him hell
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Very interested to see how we use him and Munster together. Jacks' had a very minimal role the first two weeks. I guess mainly because of his experience and it was only two weeks. Munster is a much bigger part of our team, how much of that goes away now that he's in a different role?
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

RobbieRoss wrote:However he has played one game in 21 months or so, and is a human being with the same doubts we all can have.
False! Billy Slater is no mere mortal! Like Steve Austin he will come back better than he was before... better, stronger, faster!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sigh
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote:I am just watching today's Offsiders and Richard Hinds said "there is a little word around that Billy (Slater) will be back Thursday night"
Richard Hines is not a rugby league reporter even if the ABC and News profess that he is. I bet that he's wrong.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote:Honestly, there is no room for him in the starting line up in my opinion. Lets be real, the combinations in place at the moment have been worked on for the best part of a year, they are also the future combinations of the club... Does Billy feature in them? Also, is it in the clubs best interest to shift Munster, or shift Jacks? the future of our club will have to take a back seat.
Agreed. Jacks provides that option of dummy half as well which gives Cam the opportunity to get his hands on the ball and organise where appropriate. Billy could also do what Jake Granville did when he played for Wynumm Manly; he was the fullback but played dummy-half.

I would send Slater back to Easts Tigers to get some match fitness. Look at what happened in 2006 when he came back from suspension and had to go and play for North Sydney to prove himself; he got the nonsense out of his game (that one handed carry shit that he used to do drove me lima lima lima duck bananas!) and started showing the form that put him in the company of the great custodians.

I don't care how great he is; no player is bigger than the team and he shouldn't be able to waltz back in at the expense of Munster or Jacks.

I'd still rather he retire to be honest but he wants his 300 games.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lots of noise over at NRL com

At worst he gets named. At best he plays
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm really not enjoying this as much as I thought I would - sorry for the rain on the parade.

Looks confirmed to be named at fullback. Very disheartening for the young player being relegated to easts or the bench.

I really wonder if tactically this is the best move and proving the best long term outcome, how long does billy have left at fullback as opposed to Munster - if he is the next generation why is he being shopped around other positions? Also,Combinations are starting to form, doing this in a game is different to doing it out on the training pitch.

Without doubt he will be the most watched man in australia this weekend . I hope his return feels like he never left and I'm incredibly wrong but we can just wait