Cronk to leave

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

According to Sunday's papers Cronk is retiring after the World Cup, getting married and moving to Sydney. He is not going to honour the second year of his contract. He has told the club and coach. They hope he changes his mind but are not going to stand in his way.

If this is true why sign for two years he was dating he when he signed. Why can't she live here for a year? Why are the club not stopping here, we seem to be only club that do not have a problem with players wanting leave for family even when they have a contract.

Knowing Storm luck he will end up playing for another team
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Honestly, cutting it short over living arrangements with his Mrs is a bit rich - I think this is a massive spin by journos taking a pinch of the truth and seeing what they can spin from it.

Coops is said to be the ultimate professional in all aspects of his life. I do not think this behaviour really aligns with anything he stands for.

However... women make men do straaaaange things.

IF Coops leaves, and the salary cap is increased next year.... we are going on a shopping spree!
Storm2016
Squall
Squall

So if this is true we could be looking at no cronk, no slater, no Harris, no mclean, no Finucane for 2018.

That would have to be 2 mil plus, probably closer to 3 mil to spend on players.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Only reason I can think of is Coops has a job lined up at Fox. I've never worked with my partner but I'm guessing it could be too much.
If he does then good on him. Doesn't matter how great the man is, women will always be their downfall I suppose.
Kya
Squall
Squall

Must admit not sure how much credence I give to anything Buzz Rothfield writes BUT if it were true, it's a bit weak. The Club let him stay in Sydney half a week, she stays here every second week & they spend the entire off season living wherever suits them.

Seems very out of character for Cronk who speaks about honouring contracts and his word etc
If he has lost the passion for the game than fair enough but otherwise look at other world class athletes who travel non stop year round and are married (Sydney is a 1.1/2hr plane ride away ffs)
Sincerly hope its a beat up, but am very grateful for his service if it is the end.

You'd have to think if Jmac goes, we would keep Dale but must say disappointed if JMac leaves. Club have stood by him for a bloody long time even before the McKinnon incident when he was injury prone and doing nothing.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Think it's funny that the headline has "COULD" in it.

I find it hard to believe someone like Phil Rothfield would have any inside knowledge of what is going on at our club too. So I call bs.

Had a good laugh reading these at the end of the article.
His decision to quit will throw the NRL halfback market into a frenzy. The Storm has no long-term plans for a halfback.
However, there is a massive wrap on boom on their Holden Cup halfback Brodie Croft, who has emerged from junior rugby union ranks as one of the hottest rookies in the NYC.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cooper is private Tara is private

how the f**k could anyone know this
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

What is Rothfield's agenda?

If he does retire, Croft comes straight in.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I read the article once and don't want to give them another click but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single source quoted - not even a vague one. The Daily Telegraph is fake news.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Its a sensationalised piece by the alcoholic old git Buzz.

It's bullshit. Lol @ his comment that Greenberg knows because they are "close". Hopefully its only a matter of time before he's caught in a brothel again and is positio is untenable.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

ALX22 wrote:What is Rothfield's agenda? .
To somehow remain relevant.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kya wrote:You'd have to think if Jmac goes, we would keep Dale but must say disappointed if JMac leaves. Club have stood by him for a bloody long time even before the McKinnon incident when he was injury prone and doing nothing.
Yep. The club did a great job with their duty of care.

But it means nothing if he gets a better offer. If McKinnon sues him he's going to need to have that extra coin.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

absentee wrote:I read the article once and don't want to give them another click but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single source quoted - not even a vague one. The Daily Telegraph is fake news.
I would like to personally welcome the President of the United States of America Mr Donald Trump (aka Mr fake news) to the Bai Stand.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

I wouldn't be surprised if he does leave, but I would be very surprised if plays for anyone else.
It seems he is grooming himself for a media career post footy and he does pretty well in front of the camera.
To be honest, if I was dating Tara Rushton, I'd pretty much do anything she said too.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

tugga wrote:To be honest, if I was dating Tara Rushton, I'd pretty much do anything she said too.
:lol: I'm with you there!