Round 23 - Raiders vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Melbourne Storm v Canberra Raiders
Monday 15 August, 7pm
Canberra Stadium

1. Cameron Munster
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. William Chambers
4. Cheyse Blair
5. Marika Koroibete
6. Blake Green
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith ©
10. Tim Glasby
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Tohu Harris
13. Dale Finucane

14. Kenny Bromwich
15. Christian Welch
16. Felise Kaufusi
17. Nelson Asofa-Solomona

Queensland Cup

Sunshine Coast v Capras

Sunday 14 August 1:40pm
Sunshine Coast Stadium

Ryan Morgan
Curtis Scott
Tony Tumusa
Richie Kennar
Mark Nicholls
Joe Stimson
Jake Turpin
Charlie Galo
Ben Hampton

Easts Tigers v Wynnum
Sunday 14 August 3pm
Kougari Oval

Slade Griffin
Jeremy Hawkins
Brodie Croft
Young Tonumaipea
Matt White
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Should be a great game and a real test to see exactly where we are at. The Raiders have been flying in recent weeks and IMO the comp's form team... and most dangerous.

There are whispers that McLean may be back but if there is any doubt I'm sure they will rest him.

Blake Austin may or may not play pending how his injured shoulder pulls up. If he doesn't that will be a big blow for them.

Will be interesting to see what our team looks like an hour before kick-off and if there are any late withdrawals/players being rested.

Either way, I'll be at the game and really looking forward to it!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Raiders have been hitting their straps the last month while we've been doing just enough to get over the line. An away game in cold conditions with a short turnaround the following week, we're ripe for a belting this week I reckon.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I don't know if there is any correlation but ever since chambers came back we have been playing like we have the last 3 years rather than that brillant middle patch of the year we had when he wasn't there
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

It is the reason
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

As great as the Raiders have been traveling and as compared to us just traveling in recent weeks i'm quietly confident we can/will get the win. That's IF we bring anywhere near our A game which we more often than not do against better opposition.

Also agree there could be some merit in the Chambers theory as well, he's been decidedly ordinary since his return. I know he has plenty of credits for past performances but surely he's running very low on those. That said i'd love nothing more than him to come out and brain them this week as i have nothing against him personally and he's such a damaging player when he's playing near his optimum.

I just want the best players in the team that are playing the very best football (especially given finals are just around the corner) and anyone with even a quarter of a brain can clearly see he's been well below par since his return. At this time of the year we can't afford any passengers.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote:It is the reason
Yeeoowwhhh... BIG CALL.

All I can say is that I hope you are coaching our First Grade team in 2017 and 2018.

That clown running the show at present needs to be replaced.

Imagine only having Storm on the top of table after 22 rounds in 2016...he knows jack shit about rugby league and what makes a successful team and what certain players bring by way of structure.

Should I have a lazy hunji on you for coach of the year in 2017 ?
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Correlation does not equal causation.

Blaming one player - an outside back at that - for the entirety of teams current problems is absurd.

Yes, he is not playing at his best. Anyone would think he hasn't played for a number of weeks... But we need Chambers fit, firing and in form for the finals as he is without question, our best centre.

People have very short memories. Not too long ago Chambers was carrying our backline and single handedly winning us games when the rest of the team weren't at their best.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:Correlation does not equal causation.

Blaming one player - an outside back at that - for the entirety of teams current problems is absurd.

Yes, he is not playing at his best. Anyone would think he hasn't played for a number of weeks... But we need Chambers fit, firing and in form for the finals as he is without question, our best centre.

People have very short memories. Not too long ago Chambers was carrying our backline and single handedly winning us games when the rest of the team weren't at their best.
This.

By the length of the straight.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:People have very short memories. Not too long ago Chambers was carrying our backline and single handedly winning us games when the rest of the team weren't at their best.

THIS =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Im annoyed at him too but not blaming him for the whole game or all the errors made just when it's obvious he could've passed ect
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chambers could fix a lot of his problems by running straighter. Saw a few times last game that he's more than willing to pass but he gives Suli absolutely no room whenever there was a chance.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Chambers could fix a lot of his problems by running straighter. Saw a few times last game that he's more than willing to pass but he gives Suli absolutely no room whenever there was a chance.
I agree with this. Chambers has had great success in the past skipping to the outside and/or cutting back in close to the sideline. When it comes off, he looks like a genius. When it doesn't, he has cut off any room for his winger to do anything.

Time and confidence will do wonders. I have no doubt he will get back to his devastating best.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Maybe Chambers needs his own discussion thread? It's been a talking point for the last couple of games and has maybe shifted the focus from some of our other players.
I'm looking forward to the Raiders game but don't really like our chances given how well they have been playing. Rapana and Leilua are going to be a real headache to defend on our left side. Also Hodgson has been doing really well at rake and it's going to be up to our forwards to win the battle in the ruck to stop any forward momentum for him up the middle.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chambers has still been a rock in defense. Easily our best defensive back since returning from catching a cold with the raa raas. Morgan and Blair both very good defensive three quarters as well.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think the real danger this week won't be with Chambers and Suli, it'll be with Blair and Marika defending the aerial attack of Rapana and the power of Leilua.
Blair will really have to make good contact first up and not tempt Marika to come in because Leilua has a wicked offload.