Round 7 vs Wests Tigers

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote:Smith deserves to be dropped for that.
lol settle down. While i totally agree it was a ridiculously dumb (and uncharacteristic) brain snap from him he hardly deserves to be dropped for it :lol:

As for the game, geez it won't go down as one of the greats but i'd much rather win ugly than lose pretty any day of the week. Especially after we were 8 points down at half time against a side, no matter how bad they're going in any given season seem to trouble us with their unstructured style of play against our structured style. All in all it was a very good 2 points to get regardless of how we got them.
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The loss of Glasby stuffed up the Storms rotation big time.

Vunivalu looked quite good (much better then Kennar), and should escape punishment for the head high contact due to Tedesco falling into the tackle.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Broncos and Cowboys are the elite teams. Sharks a notch or two below then a bunch of 5-6 teams who'll compete every other week.

We might be 5 and 2 but we're nowhere near good enough to think we're certainties to make the top 8 atm.
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

Its a long way to the end of the season.
I totally understand the frustration everyone would of been having through this game. Me included.
But I still enjoyed the match, it had everything you want in a game, crowd, drama and a real contest and more. Sure it was riddled with brain explosions and enough errors to hate the game for life, but win or lose you gotta be a Storm fan through thick and thin.
We are just needing many more consecutive games holding the same if only the majority of the same 17 each week to get the players trusting and knowing each others plays, to help correct and learn from one another. Even if I disagree with players being out of position, as long as they are all getting use to each other and improving.
Melbourne Storm has a good mix of young and old, experience players need to scare the crap out of the the younger players for making ridiculous penalties and so forth.
And experience players need to execute better, so either train and practice more eg. Passing and kicking extras before and after training.
I don't have all the answers. But they can only get better.
[align=]You don't take a taser to a gun fight! :lol:[/align]
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Does anyone know how Glasby is?
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: atm.
Exactly, atm being the operative term. You say that Broncos, Cows are the elite teams with the Sharks a notch or 2 below and 'atm' which might be right, yet you say at the same time we're nowhere near good enough to think we're certainties to make the 8 like it's all set in stone and nothing will change at such an early stage in the season. Are you saying they can't drop off and we or other teams can't get better over the next 3 months? Surely not.

If someone offered me 5-2 at the start of the season i'd have taken it in a heartbeat and even more so if they told me we'd be playing nowhere near our best and one of our losses came against a side only a notch or two below the top tier teams 'atm'. I'm sure even the biggest whingers and naysayers would've taken it as well...
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well done to Suilasi Vunivalu on a very solid debut. I am glad his error towards the end didn't cost us the win.

Cam's goal kicking almost cost us. Only other real option I can think of is Cam Munster or is that putting too much pressure on him? Only others I can think of are Tohu who is ok but not sure you want him as full time kicker and Cronk who has shown in past he is average goal kicker from the tee.

Most of forwards were good today, I like energy and impact from NAS from bench I think he has turned into our fall guy with refs a la Mick Crocker style. A couple of penalties against him (including high tackle just after half time) were just rubbish. Although the trip was poor by NAS.

Lucky that Vunivalu was placed on report some time down track and not at time otherwise we wouldn't have been in the position for him to score his second.

Agree with others needed some support players when two or three breaks were made.

Happy to take win particularly with makeshift backline. Although with injuries this could be semi-permanent.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:
blazza18 wrote: atm.
Exactly, atm being the operative term. You say that Broncos, Cows are the elite teams with the Sharks a notch or 2 below and 'atm' which might be right, yet you say at the same time we're nowhere near good enough to think we're certainties to make the 8 like it's all set in stone and nothing will change at such an early stage in the season. Are you saying they can't drop off and we or other teams can't get better over the next 3 months? Surely not.

If someone offered me 5-2 at the start of the season i'd have taken it in a heartbeat and even more so if they told me we'd be playing nowhere near our best and one of our losses came against a side only a notch or two below the top tier teams 'atm'. I'm sure even the biggest whingers and naysayers would've taken it as well...
I said atm for us. There's no evidence of us being anything more than what we are. We struggle to score points and continually have lapses in defence where those good teams can take advantage of. This isn't our old teams where we just flick a switch and we're good again.

Those other three teams are clearly better than us. Specifically the first two have proven so for over 12 months. Sharks are close, just not on the top level yet.

You can talk yourself into us being 5-2 as a good thing if you want. I see it as fools gold.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The team...confusing

Some players....confusing

My tipping....confusing

I do wanna say a big congrats to the Storm behind the scenes crew for getting Sulis parents here on time for the game

Suli found out Thursday night and storm booked flights for them only to find out they needed visas to get into the country...I have since heard the storm ppl flew to Canberra to pick up emergency visas for his parents to come to Sydney to watch him play....how cool is that
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wow that's awesome Sally.
Well done to those involved.
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

Great story Sally, the Storm Staffers went beyond call of duty with Vunivalu's Family. Great that the Storm do that for players that debut :-)
I've always seen him as a future star (either code) he played great even when he had injured his leg, he still gave it his all.
Glad like the rest of you here that his error in extra time didn't cost them the game.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks for sharing that story Sallymay. Great work by Storm to go to Canberra to get emergency visas.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The only thing professional about that performance was the fouling.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's the first time he's ever done it and that is literally - it was Kennar's first penalty conceded in 8 fg games.
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

Brain explosions all over the field.
Hopefully Bellamy can get that through to them to cut the nonsense out. Play hard but fair I say.