Vale Bourbon Rat (George Fairclough)

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

So sad to hear of the sudden passing of George Fairclough aka Bourbon Rat. A friend who will be sadly missed at our home games with his smile, humour and smuggled contraband. Deepest sympathy to George's family and friends at this time. Rest in Peace our friend.
Brian
Squall
Squall

With a heavy heart do i write this

George was a friend whom we befriended at the Storms ever first home game.We met in the old betting ring affectionately known as the Social Club.
He was hard to miss as he wore those huge sunglasses with the storm logo on the lenses. George lived and breathed The Storm and league in general.
His knowledge was second to none about our great game.If it was not the Storm then it was Wigan (wigin) He made what seems like thousands of friends at the Storm ,from supporters to the players back in those infant years and even to present day.
George was one of the first members of the now defunct MSSC and on the message board back then he was known as Paper Dragon.
He turned his hand at one point in creating animated gifs and banners relating to the Melbourne Storm.
As turtle said We will miss you and your positive outlook on life and Rugby League.\

Condolences to the Fairclough family

Rest in Peace old mate
Brian
Squall
Squall

Old pic of George and his gang...On the fence at the Graveyard

Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Really enjoyed Bourbon Rat's posts on The Bai Stand. Condolences to George's family. RIP Bourbon Rat.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Yes terribly sad news RIP - condolences to the family
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Very sad news indeed. RIP
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sorry for your loss. RIP.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

"a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy"

A lovely bloke, friendly to everyone with (as Brian said) a great knowledge of the game and a wicked wit. His passing is our loss, but I'm glad I had the chance to know him.

Cheers Ratty
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Saddened to hear about his passing. Although I only conversed with him virtually through this forum he seemed like such a kind-hearted person.
RIP Bourbon Rat.
I did always smile when I saw that username. Very clever.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I am so sad to hear of Bourbs passing. He was always friendly and I am so glad he was Purple through and through. Bourbs designed the first Bai Stand footy tipping trophy sig for Kingy to proudly display for the year. He will be sadly missed.
I know you will be watching from up there and cheering for our CHAMPION TEAM.
R.I.P. Bourbs
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So sad to hear. Big part of these forums.
Hope its not insensitive me asking the reason he's left us?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

only from what I heard and I don't want to really gossip but it looks like to me it might've been a heart attack or something like that if it wasn't then I apologise to his family
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Sally it wasn't a heart attack but a brain embolism. Thankfully it happened in his sleep.
We gave Ratty a good send off yesterday with many tears, laughs, drinks raised and a very loud "party popper ring" in honour of George at his wake.

First game next year will be hard when he's not in his usual seat but his hat will be there on that seat and there WILL be poppers popped!!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I am sorry to hear that

That will be amazing...I will being thinking of his family Game 1
Graham Las Darrington
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I was one of George's British friends . He helped develop my interest in Storm and became a good pal in the process. The world of rugby league is poorer for his passing. George's wit, kindness and enthusiasm were among his many strengths. I am saddened by his loss but proud that he was my friend. Goodbye dear Bourbon Rat. RIP George.