Prelim final vs Cowboys

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Might as well get this one going nice and early. No real surprises we got the Cows but probably a bit surprising with the ease they won by. Not sure how to gauge the win really, while the Cows were excellent no doubt, especially their forwards, Cronulla were absolutely disgusting in every facet of the game whether it be their completion rate, missed tackles, dropped balls etc they were just terrible.

While i'd have liked them to have a much more bruising encounter they didn't and here we are. There's no way in how our big fellas will let theirs have their own way and you can bet the brains trust will already have a plan to nullify the Influence of Thurston as much as possible. Bellyache is the absolute master of singling out the oppositions main threat and it more often than not works. Stop JT and you go a long way to stopping the Cows.

As long as we come out ready and alert after our week off and play the footy we have been in recent weeks there's no reason why we can't make it to the big dance. Bring it on.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've been surprised at how little talk there has been about Koroibete, McLean and Glasby being injured after last week. Specially Marika's. Hopefully all three will play. Not sure if our depth will be good enough to beat North Queensland otherwise.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gladsby trained with the rest of the team today as normal. McLean, Weston and, to my surprise, Jesse all began their training doing a bit of rehab/or preventative work with their hammies/knees just running, changing direction etc..

However, Marika was not seen at the open training session (at least on the field that is)
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This was an injury report from last Thursday which basically says they expect them all to play. Marika is obviously the biggest concern of them all given stitches/cuts heal when they heal and can't really do much to make them heal any faster like you can doing rehab on other injuries.

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... njury.html
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

McLean left the training field early. most likely to have more treatment. Marika would have to wait until the stiches are out, that is 8-10 days and seeing is was a deep cut I would have thought 10 days minimum, he still 6 days before we play
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The utter shite-ness of the Sharks flattered the Cowboys. They could not hold the ball to save themselves and some of their contact - in a semi final - was abysmal. The effort on Michael Morgan where he burst through two Sharks defenders 5 out, was embarrassing.

Having said that, probably the most impressive component of their win, was some of the online defence.

Our attack will need to be sharp.
We need to put pressure on Thurston all night.
When JT is kicking, rush from marker.
When JT is taking the line on, push from inside.
Get in Scott, Taumololo and Tamou's face.
Pepper Feldt and Winterstein with high balls. Particularly to Duffie's side.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'll begin my post with a good, however definitely unsurprising piece of news - Gus has once again tipped against us.

Anyway, I've got a good feeling about this weekend obviously contingent on the aforementioned boys sufficiently recovering to play the QF qualifier in an acceptable condition. Good news it only looks like Marika who is genuinely questionable. Although, McLean's a walking injury and it feels like at any moment he's going to aggravate something.

I really do feel like conquering ourselves rather than the 'mountain' we face this week that needs most of the attention. We've been knocked out playing at AAMI Park two consecutive years and I strongly believe some of that is down to individual preparation.

Everyone, make sure you try and enjoy the week the most you can! I know a large band of nerves will hit me around the middle of the week and won't abate till after the game on Saturday but I wouldn't want it any other way. This team is doing me proud once again. Two to go.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inglis#3 wrote:I'll begin my post with a good, however definitely unsurprising piece of news - Gus has once again tipped against us.

I really do feel like conquering ourselves rather than the 'mountain' we face this week that needs most of the attention. We've been knocked out playing at AAMI Park two consecutive years and I strongly believe some of that is down to individual preparation.

Gus has pipped against us? Well we're absolute morals then ;) I know what you mean about conquering ourselves not to mention bowing out in straight sets at AAMI, having said that in the last couple of years come finals time we sort of limped into the finals (though we beat the Broncs in rd 26 last year) and just had nothing in the tank when we got there.

This year we're going in with great form beating the other 3 sides still in it in consecutive weeks and 2 of those on their own dung heap. If that doesn't give the boys a massive boost of confidence and belief, especially the younger fellas then nothing will. Add to that the younger boys who played in the last 1 or 2 years finals are a bit older and wiser now not to mention all of them will be stinging about our meek finals exits of late, especially at home and will have a massive point to prove.

I could be wrong but i just think we're much better placed and in much better form than in recent years. I think we know if we play to our strengths (and are allowed to) we're more than capable of beating anyone as we've shown in the last 3 weeks.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

At least I will have a team to barrack for in the GF regardless of which way this game goes.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

We need that slow melbourne chant going like the 2012 prelim, that was incredible
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

NevilleB wrote:We need that slow melbourne chant going like the 2012 prelim, that was incredible
I wonder how that even happened. It's not like it's a chant you ever really hear. That was one of those special moments and I hope we get a repeat of it Saturday night.

People don't expect us to win and supposedly if we're any chance we need to hope the referees don't crack down on our disgraceful wrestling tactics which are destroying the game. So yeah. Seriously though, at our best we can beat anyone and I'm confident we'll turn up with the right attitude.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've been so confident of us going all the way but now its changed. Not so sure now.
If Marika is ruled out I'll be expecting a loss
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

NQ fave on the tote.
Melbourne longest odds to win the Prem.
I say, let's go all the way then!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote:I've been so confident of us going all the way but now its changed. Not so sure now.
If Marika is ruled out I'll be expecting a loss
Maybe just a combo of a few nerves starting to kick in the closer the game gets and the constant anti Storm Sydney agenda with next to none of the 'experts' and pretty much most RL fans of other clubs giving us any chance this week. While i'm sure there's some who genuinely think the Cows will beat us i'm every bit as sure there's many more tipping purely on their hatred for all things Storm and who they want to win. not actually who they think will win. I think we've all been guilty of doing the same thing once or twice :lol:

From what i've seen/read this week the boys seem quietly confident and have a bit of a spring in their step and i'm sure they're more than happy to have everyone writing us off and go in as underdogs. While i'm certainly not calling us morals to win at the same time i'm also confident we'll get the job done and go through to the GF. Just have a bit of faith and remember in the last 3 games we've beaten the 3 teams still left fighting it out ;)
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Win, lose or draw the game on Saturday I'll be proud of the boys. Just over a month ago I was thinking that if we scraped into the finals we wouldn't bother any of the other teams. Since then the boys got on top of the Cowboys, Broncos and Roosters and irrespective of the outcome on the weekend I think they showed that even without Billy we're among the top four teams in the comp. Well done to everyone at Storm HQ.