Storm vs Bulldogs Rd 16

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

We had trouble scoring today because the Bulldogs defence was so good and the two players who score are a leading try scorers are out. How would Kelly have help today? How do you know if Craig would have picked him to play? The fact Kelly was let go means Craig could not see him in Storm's future.

We has a bad day due to a nmuber of factors not going are way, the Bulldogs had a better day. Sometimes this happens.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Never mind the result of tonight's game. Has anybody else noticed this is the 4th week in a row we have been on the wrong end of attrocious one-sided refereeing?
I know we're always up against it in this department, but since the warriors game it seems the refs are unable to award us a penalty, get many calls against us wrong, and penalize the crap out of us.

Different refs, same dodgy calls V warriors, tigers, eagles, and dogs.
This has probably cost us 4 competition points so far. So it is a noteworthy trend, and more than a little concerning leading up to September.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
J-Storm
Squall
Squall

http://media.foxsports.com.au/match-cen ... RL20121605

We had more possession.We missed more tackles.We won the penalty count. Therefore we jus' got outplayed. For people looking for excuses, look at some of the efforts of some of our big names. A certain #7 in particular.

As for the Luke Kelly excuse, he did SFA for Parramatta on Sat night. He'll fit right in there. He has only ever been an average player who looked better from the young guys he played with in that winning U20s team...
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I am going to call it the curse of the bye,as this has happened to us so many times in previous years and now twice this season,we have an opportunity to take 4 point into a bye and never do,we lost to the Sharks going into a bye and now the bulldogs.
Having said all that though lets take a look at the game,apart from the fact that Hamstead should have awarded the try to Ryan Hinchcliffe which would have made us 10 all..the doggies defence was impeccable today and they should be proud of themselves,because they stopped the most lethal attacking team in the comp .And apart from the no try,we had wave after wave at them on their own try line BECAUSE the refs were doing their job,but more so ..so were the doggies and we couldn't get through.
I thought Widdop had a great game at full back and Cam as usual was suberb,Cooper seemd lost without Billy,as does Matt Duffie,and that combination has fallen apart for now,and will only get restructured when Billy comes back,all the other guys just seem to be playing there normal game,Sika Manu wasn't on as I would have liked him to be either,but all in all we just got outplayed by a very good side.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

J-Storm I dispute those stats.

The Bulldogs players were allowed to hold us down in every tackle for an eternity. It was impossible for us to get a quick play of the ball. Not to mention Ennis' constant niggle in the ruck, for which he was only penalized the once I believe (which would be a record low for the most penalized player in the comp I'd suggest).
The penalty count may have evened up in the 2nd half when the dogs were repeatedly off-side as we attacked their line. On these occasions it was early in the tackle count so may have been more of an opportunity for them to re-group than an advantage to us. By the 3rd repeated offence surely this should've been interpreted as a professional foul and somebody sent from the field.
I'm certain we'd have been playing with 12 men had we done the same at our end. As with Barba bring allowed to play the ball after being trapped in the end goal, and our no try. I think the video ref got their 2nd try correct btw, but I do wonder if the same call would've been made at the other end.

What they need is a stat for the % of tackles deemed to be dominant and the time taken to release from such tackles. This stat we would be miles behind in.

Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Go Storm wrote:J-Storm I dispute those stats.

The Bulldogs players were allowed to hold us down in every tackle for an eternity. It was impossible for us to get a quick play of the ball. Not to mention Ennis' constant niggle in the ruck, for which he was only penalized the once I believe (which would be a record low for the most penalized player in the comp I'd suggest).
The penalty count may have evened up in the 2nd half when the dogs were repeatedly off-side as we attacked their line. On these occasions it was early in the tackle count so may have been more of an opportunity for them to re-group than an advantage to us. By the 3rd repeated offence surely this should've been interpreted as a professional foul and somebody sent from the field.
I'm certain we'd have been playing with 12 men had we done the same at our end. As with Barba bring allowed to play the ball after being trapped in the end goal, and our no try. I think the video ref got their 2nd try correct btw, but I do wonder if the same call would've been made at the other end.

What they need is a stat for the % of tackles deemed to be dominant and the time taken to release from such tackles. This stat we would be miles behind in.

Didn't watch the game as I was looking for a way to watch manly live (which I succeeded at, no thanks to channel nein) but I feel your pain

This is the failure of the 2 refs system, with the 2 refs having different interpretations of each rule, the sooner we lose it the better

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

the system is fine, it's the training of and quality of reffing that causes the issues
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Was it the correct decision to deny Ryan Hinchcliffe a try for obstruction? Can you explain the ruling please?

No, we believe that this decision was wrong. Ryles, who was in front of the ball, tried to get out of the way and his impact had no effect on the scoring of the try.

Ryan Hichcliffe should have been awarded the try according to Raper. So nice to give us the try 24 hours after the event. When are the refs going to rule in our favour during a game?
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote:the system is fine, it's the training of and quality of reffing that causes the issues
I disagree,i believe both referees have different interpretations of the rules and therefore on side can easily
be penalized for something the other team has been doing all game,the system is bullshit and has to go,Checcin
is EASILY the worst at this malarkey

How else would you attribute Melbourne having whistles blown against left right and centre when the dogs
lie all over players,lie all over the ruck? What has the melbourne player done in this time? Held down and looked at the ref
momentarily while letting his players get onside LIKE EVERY FIRST GRADE FOOTBALLER DOES!!! Fullbacks on the other
hand risk professional fouls almost every time they make a tackle,all of them are the absolute slowest while their team
runs onside

We already look like the Kart-racing of rugby league world,i'd love for us to poach each and every super league
official and piss our current ones off bar Hayne and Archer who are miles ahead of the other clowns in pink and
have the tried trusted and true officialdom of 1 Ref 2 Touchies and 1 VR
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hmm ? Think we only ever 'acquired' two SL officials ? And almost every fan & coach in super league threw a celebratory party to mark the event :lol:
Russel Smith proved most unpopular as both an on field & later vid official.
Whilst the 'other one' lived up to the title he earned & deserved in Super League.
Ashley the Klown :twisted:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I believe 2 refs is the right thing as you need eyes on both sides of the ruck, they need to educate the refs on the correct rulings and bring them in line with each other. Other sports don't have trouble doing this and so it obviously can work!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Was at the game. Good crowd - really fun, everyone was there for the football and lots of friendly banter between Dogs and Storm fans.

I never thought we were going to win it. The warmup was flat, and the guys walked out onto the ground like they were attending a funeral - seldom have I seen a less enthusiastic display.

The refs did us no favours, but we didn't do ourselves any either. The score could easily have been 10-10 at one point, but honestly the outcome represented the game. Storm's attacking options were poor and the defence was well below par. We scrambled well, but the dogs made way to many easy metres up the middle.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mattpoet wrote:I believe 2 refs is the right thing as you need eyes on both sides of the ruck, they need to educate the refs on the correct rulings and bring them in line with each other. Other sports don't have trouble doing this and so it obviously can work!
Don't need two refs. Need touch judges to actually do their job properly.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

TC wrote:
Mattpoet wrote:I believe 2 refs is the right thing as you need eyes on both sides of the ruck, they need to educate the refs on the correct rulings and bring them in line with each other. Other sports don't have trouble doing this and so it obviously can work!
Don't need two refs. Need touch judges to actually do their job properly.
LOL!!! Morris was in!!!

But seriously,the sideline needs to be turned into a foul line (Such as in tenpin bowling)
and the VR looks it over when the buzzer goes off

Touch judges havent done anything since Checcin handed Manly a game against Newcastle
in which Joey Johns got suspended for calling Checcin "Man of the match"
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

they'll never do that to the sideline, too expensive and couldn't have regional games like mackay due to it being to hard to export the tchnology