NSW Cup/QLD Cup 2013

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

NSWCup Illawarra V Sharks live on FoxSports1 @1pm today
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Illawarra V Sharks

Duffie
Finch
McClean
Auva'a
Vave
Weston
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Just over 20mins in, Sharks 6-0

Finch involved in everything. Some great runs, only the 1 kick so far, a couple of great cut-out passes and a try assist.

Vave looking good, as expected.

McClean looking very impressive. The kid's a monster. Not far from wearing a Storm jersey I reckon.

Auva'a starting to inject himself more in this second 20. Another big boy.

Duffie injured knee early when forced into touch in the corner after a beautiful Finch cut-out pass. Not sure how serious, but he won't return to the field. His shoulder seemed fine.

Weston on for Vave after about 25mins
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Jordan McClean 30mins stint

17 tackles, 7 hitups
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Halftime

Sharks 12 - 6

Vave came back on for McClean, so probably a 35min half for him.

Weston running straight and hard. Almost busted over for a try but was held up by a number of defenders.

Final try close to halftime courtesy of some quick hands from Finch to Auva'a to try scorer.

Illawarra scored off a bomb. No Storm players were involved in trying to defuse or stop try.

Overall, a good game. Great goal line defence from both teams. Penalties, 7-3 in favour of Illawarra

All Storm players looking impressive. Finch and Vave should be wearing purple. I'm sure Widdop will do a good enough job for the Sharks
Faider
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Go Storm wrote:Halftime
I'm sure Widdop will do a good enough job for the Sharks
Haha took me a few reads to realize what you said, he would do nicely for the Sharks.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Duffie twisted knee scans on Monday sigh poor guy
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Avuaa responsible for the try no doubt ;) .

Good to see Jordan starting to realise his potential, Ive been one of his biggest supporters since he played SG Ball in 2009.

With a bit of mongrel he can be our version of Gorgeous Goerge Burgess.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks for the update guys :)
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just realised Young didn't play and he wasn't injured last week...maybe he will play with the tigers or maybe first grade
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Had to go out for a while so watching 2nd half now.

55mins it's 22-6.

Finchy's tying 'em up in knots. He's got a great combination working with Auva'a. Another try from a similar worked play as in the first half.

Weston and Vave smashing it up the middle too.

Great ball from Finch to set up 4th try too. Finch's cut out passes and deft kicks into in goal have been greatly missed by Melbourne Storm.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think melbourne storm should buy chad thunsend
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I just watched the game. Final score: Sharks 28 Cutters 12

Sharks Tries: Rociqa, Gardner, Mills, Gigot, Sopoaga
Conversions: Townsend 4/5

I pretty much agree with the comments from Sallymay, Go Storm and Michael :P.

Duffie: Injured knee after about 5 mins. FWIW it didn't look too serious ... I don't think it is season ending (based on my years of medical experience) (which is none)

Finch: Controlled the match as noted above set up a number of line breaks and a couple of tries with his passing. As well as having a good combo with Auva'a also has a good combination with Junior Roqica (shame Roqica is a Sharks player (as opposed to Storm player, although not much room in the second row of either team)).

McLean: Had a 30 minute stint to start with, was sensational in attack and very good in defence. Laid a couple of big hits in the second half. Have we got him signed for next year?

Auva'a: Apart from an early knock on, was very solid. Threw the last pass for Mills' try although Mills made it look better than it was. The pass was a little behind Mills.

Vave: Made a number of big runs. Threw a couple of passes at the line. Should be on the bench in NRL next week v Roosters.

Weston: Came off the bench and was very good in both attack and defence. Threw a number of passes at the line. He made 22 tackles and 14 hit-ups (only know that because Fox Sports interviewed him after the match). I loved these comments from Weston: "I'm honoured to be at the Melbourne Storm ... I've got the best opportunity with the best team in the competition with the best coach."

Some other observations:
- I don't think they could have fitted Young T into that back line with Duffie playing along with Gardner, Stapleton, Wright and Mills. I don't think Young would be in first grade yet.
- Townsend would be a good buy and is a goalkicker as well. Who will be our back up goalkicker for Cam next year?
- With McLean, Vave and Weston all playing well, we have some big boppers in Reserve Grade who seem to be ready to go in terms of first grade. Hopefully this ends Bellamy's 2 bigs and 2 smalls on the bench of the last two weeks.
- I saw nothing today to change my opinion that Weston is a very good buy for the Storm who I think we will re-sign beyond this year and who will provide a level of service to the Storm in future years similar to Bryan Norrie since he has joined us.
- Sharks NSW Cup team have a bye next week, how about we play Finch at number 6 v Roosters even if it is just to give Widdop a rest? Maybe Widdop is a bit stale. (Although I don't think Craig will do this).

Sharks NSW Cup team also scheduled to be on Fox Sports on Saturday 1 June at 3:10pm v North Sydney
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Answer to your question about McLean scooter is No he isn't but he should be

I talked to young at the training thing today and he said pretty much what you said scooter there wasn't room for him in the team but Bellamy has given him the chance to warm up with the storm tomorrow
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Benny Hampton with a beautiful solo try. Broke about 4 tackles.