Round 6 - Storm vs Knights

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Danger D wrote:Watching the Bunnies / Roosters game last night highlighted how valuable a good dummy half runner can be. Both Damien Cook and Victor Radley were electric after their forwards got them a quick play of the ball.
If only we had someone in our squad who could do something similar...
Absolutely agree, can take it further too. Look at the 2 teams at the top of the ladder undefeated, both have hookers who are great runners. And look at us, Smith hasn’t run much (I’m sure his injury played a part in him not running) but once he started running against the Tigers, we looked so much better. Brandon Smith should come onto the bench in place of Stimson aswell imo
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think the lack of running comes down to a shortage of support runners. Previously a run would have been capped off with a pass to Cronk or slater. Now we’ve got the one option, out attack is trying to go around teams instead of through them
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I wonder if Stimsons' selection was aided by the fact that he's also a goal kicker as well. It's just C Smith is not taking any where the amount of goal kicks that he used to as well as no B.Croft and I always thought that Munster's goal kicking is a bit hit and miss.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Itzbek the Purple wrote:I wonder if Stimsons' selection was aided by the fact that he's also a goal kicker as well. It's just C Smith is not taking any where the amount of goal kicks that he used to as well as no B.Croft and I always thought that Munster's goal kicking is a bit hit and miss.
Great observation. Hadn't thought of that at all. I'm assuming Munster takes goal kicking duties if Stimson isn't on?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

You guys are bold thinking we'll kick conversions tonight.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I feel confident enough to say if we actually hang on to the ball for once, it's entirely possible!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

You have to score tries before you get to attempt conversions...

Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

That is an indisputable fact but my reasoning ( although nowhere is insightful as Cameron's) is thus: a. We all agree that our kicking game and game management has .... sucked. I believe this is one of the many reasons Croft is out, b. Game management is nowhere as good as it was last year for obvious reasons. This has been highlighted regularly on this forum as well as TV but look at the second half of last week where GOAT took over that role as game manager and we were much better. I have enough confidence in the Coaching Staff that they will have worked on rectifying those issues. Game management being so important, I believe that C Smith will be playing the full 80 which as a side effect this means that B Smith wont get the chance he deserves until those two issues are rectified.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

On the other hand, playing Brandon Smith does give Cameron Smith the opportunity to jump into first/second receiver and have an even bigger influence on game management at certain points of the game. Not necessarily to take that role away from the young halves that are there, more to lead by example and take some of the pressure off.

Either way I think Brandon should be in the 17.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

They should play Brandon Smith and give him 20 minutes at the back end of each half to hit the opposition with pace.

On attack as soon as we pass the half way line, Brandon Smith should take the ball out of dummy half and run 10 metres. Get tackled. Brandon should get up immediately (the way the game is being reffed helps this) and Cameron Smith should be behind him to play the ball immediately.

That is how you get speed into your sets and get more one on one with the defence.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A Sunshine Coast reporter thinks Stimson will play for the Falcons this weekend. Wonder if that means Smith will play?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brandon Smith is in.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1. Billy Slater
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Young Tonumaipea
4. Curtis Scott
5. Josh Addo-Carr