Greg Inglis to Brisbane

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Why we're not letting Quinn go is beyond me. Duffie and O'Neill will hold down the wings with Chase and GI in the centres. Quinn's a waste of 300k to have.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Freshy wrote: Why we're not letting Quinn go is beyond me. Duffie and O'Neill will hold down the wings with Chase and GI in the centres. Quinn's a waste of 300k to have.
could only be that Storm couldn't find a taker for him or his salary.

If Storm had to cover 150k it wouldn't be worth letting him go.

Let's be honest...he ain't going to command more than 150k now .....anywhere.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Storm Spirit wrote:
Freshy wrote: Why we're not letting Quinn go is beyond me. Duffie and O'Neill will hold down the wings with Chase and GI in the centres. Quinn's a waste of 300k to have.

Thats true, but if he'd gone to ESL Storm wouldnt have to cover his difference inside our cap. I maybe wrong but. Its just a pity considering he may spend most of his time either coming off the bench or NSW Cup and when you consider his price, its a bit too much to take haha  ;-)
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Freshy wrote:
Storm Spirit wrote:

Thats true, but if he'd gone to ESL Storm wouldnt have to cover his difference inside our cap. I maybe wrong but. Its just a pity considering he may spend most of his time either coming off the bench or NSW Cup and when you consider his price, its a bit too much to take haha  ;-)
I didn't think that Storm had to cover any salary if a player went to ESL either........however then I heard that the Storm are paying a "small amount" of the carry over salary for Hoffy to leave and go to ESL.

It was in the little paper (gutter rag) a few week back...so it could just be a load of absolute garbage like most things they write.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Storm Spirit wrote:
Freshy wrote:
Storm Spirit wrote: could only be that Storm couldn't find a taker for him or his salary.

I didn't think that Storm had to cover any salary if a player went to ESL either........however then I heard that the Storm are paying a "small amount" of the carry over salary for Hoffy to leave and go to ESL.

It was in the little paper (gutter rag) a few week back...so it could just be a load of absolute garbage like most things they write.

Ahh damn it I hope thats not the case! Then again if it was the daily telecrap then I wouldnt believe a word they say!
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

We paid for Dallas to go OS, so Im not surprised with paying Hoffy, but I don't expect it to be much.  Storm did break a contract with him.
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in
Monsoon
Monsoon

;D ;D ;D

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 5902751794

Broncos, Titans give up on chase for Greg Inglis as star stays loyal to Melbourne Storm

Matt Marshall and Peter Badel

August 09, 2010 12:01AM

MELBOURNE are poised to officially trumpet the retention of superstar Greg Inglis as early as this afternoon.

Titans managing director Michael Searle last night all but ruled the Gold Coast out of the race for the Test ace, saying Inglis's loyalty to the Storm would likely see him stay put.It is believed the Broncos have until noon today to make a last-ditch bid to secure Inglis but are doubtful to do so after chief executive Bruno Cullen declared yesterday: "It is likely he (Inglis) will stay in Melbourne."Brisbane would need to substantially increase their current offer, requiring the Storm to pick up a $410,000 shortfall over two years, to blow Melbourne out of the water.But with the six-time premiers showing no sign they are prepared to depart from their hardline "final offer" stance, the Storm are set to keep their man. Cullen conceded yesterday Melbourne had all but won the battle to secure Inglis, with the Storm prepared to shed more talent to retain the Test superstar.Inglis has previously told Broncos players he would happily join them at Red Hill in 2011 but Brisbane's inferior offer ? up to $300,000 short of the Titans' reported offer ? was a major sticking point. Inglis is also extremely loyal and would struggle walking away from the club that has nurtured him since he was a teenager."Indigenous kids like Greg are traditionally very loyal," said Searle, who entertained Inglis at a barbecue during his club's heart-to-heart pitch to secure Inglis seven days ago."Greg's heart and loyalty are in Melbourne, given the opportunity the club has given him over the past nine years."Storm powerbrokers have completed talks with NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert. The Courier-Mail understands the club would need to off-load as little as one more player to accommodate Inglis under next year's cap, with Dane Nielsen and Sika  Manu in the firing line."Melbourne hold all the aces at the moment. They can say 'you're contracted to us for two years and we can fit you into the cap, so you're staying'," Cullen said. "It's now looking likely, I won't say highly likely, but it's looking likely that he might stay in Melbourne."We haven't had any further talks with Greg. I'm pretty sure there will be a result by Tuesday."Figures obtained show the Storm have the fiscal scope under the $4.2 million salary cap to retain Inglis and thus keep their Fab Four, which includes Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk, intact.Inglis had expressed a desire to move north to live with his fiancee Sally Robinson, who works in Brisbane, but the centre is also comfortable maintaining the long-distance relationship. 

:( :( :(

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 5902745345

Cowboys' lasso circles Storm trio as Inglis retention would free up others
Matt Marshall
August 09, 2010 12:01AM

THE Cowboys could be the surprise winners should Greg Inglis elect to snub Queensland rivals the Brisbane Broncos and Gold Coast Titans today.

With Inglis tipped to announce he is staying with the Storm, the Cowboys are poised to launch lucrative bids for potential Melbourne evictees Sika Manu, Adam Blair and Kevin Proctor.Should Inglis remain at the club until at least 2012 on his current $660,000-per-season deal, it would ensure the Craig Bellamy-coached club begins to rebuild their shattered empire with the "Fab Four", also comprising Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk, intact.While the Storm plan to limit the fallout from their decision to keep Inglis, rival clubs remain adamant Melbourne will need to offload several NRL regulars to ensure they fit under next year's salary cap. Kiwi Test forward Manu and backline stars Dane Nielsen and Anthony Quinn are the players most likely to receive a forced eviction notice.But the Cowboys, seeking to further bolster their 2011 forward stocks, may opt to chase fellow Kiwi Test star Blair and boom forward Proctor, in addition to No.1 target Manu.North Queensland remains in the hunt to secure ex-Storm lock Dallas Johnson while they have already signed Bronco brothers Ashton and Tariq Sims and backline trio Brent Tate, Antonio Winterstein and Kalifa Faifai-Loa.Cowboys executive director Peter Parr yesterday made no secret of his club's desire to chase Manu, Blair and Proctor."If Greg Inglis stays in Melbourne and it meant a couple of their prominent forwards became available, we'd certainly be interested in having conversations with their managers about their interest in coming here," Parr said.North Queensland have long had an interest in Manu, but have been forced into contingency plans while the Storm developed their salary cap management strategy.Topliners Brett Finch, Ryan Hoffman, Jeff Lima, Aiden Tolman, Brett White and mid-season Bulldogs recruit Ryan Tandy have already confirmed they will leave the Storm.Inglis's likely commitment would leave Melbourne currently with just five players for their 2011 roster, outside their "Fab Four", who boast in excess of 50 NRL games.If Blair and Quinn were to move on, that number would dip to three.

Yay!
???
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Take Proctor but Not Sika or Blair. If our guys leave, I would love to see them end up at the Cowboys.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Does anyone know if its official that the roster for next year will be announced?
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

We could use some quality props,our toyota cup kids arent up to scratch in that department,we have the backline coverage and depth   
but front row is needing more depth,with Perry and Tasi leaving,compounding the loss of JWH and Hall,our front row stocks are
heavily depleted
"Absolutely trained to the minute"
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

It's still all papertalk atm, but I think the end is in sight..

Yay. :D

Cooper is the one I am very worried about...those rumours are just getting stronger.

Sika and Neilson are next on my wish list to stay if at all possible, but if we are to lose players, I would rather them go to the Cowboys than to the Broncos or Titans and especially to Parrascum.
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

In the two Courier Mail articles posted by 1999, by the same journalist I might add, we have to release one player to keep GI in the first article, but several players in the second one!!  The same journalsit, the same paper, the same day!!

Another example of fine journalism?  No, as has been posted before in this thread, another example of haven't got a clue, but I'm going to get paid for the article!!

I'll wait until the Storm make the announcement thank you.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Freshy wrote: Take Proctor but Not Sika or Blair. If our guys leave, I would love to see them end up at the Cowboys.
Definately keep Sika if possible but im happy with how Proctor has been going lately and at the cost and attitude displayed would rather keep him then Adam. And considering they excel in the same role one will stay, one will go. Also like Nielsen but really with Stanley taking one center spot and O'Niell, Duffie, Chisholm and possibly Quinn vying for 2 spots and Nielsen being the player most toher teams would want the decision is easy.

...also I think this article best illustrates why it was such a long process and where Gregs head and heart we're at
Greg Inglis is likely to remain with Melbourne for a different salary cap reason

Dan Koch, Margie McDonald From: The Australian August 09, 2010 12:00AM

THE Broncos were last night clinging to a flicker of hope of securing the prized signature of Melbourne's star centre Greg Inglis.

But they know only a drastic change of heart will see him leave the Storm in the off-season.

With several clubs and dozens of players in a holding pattern awaiting his decision, Inglis is scheduled to meet Melbourne officials today. He is expected to reaffirm his desire to remain at the club.

Such a commitment would be a stunning about-face, given it was Inglis who contacted the Broncos about the possibility of a move north after his fiancee, Sally Robinson, was offered a lucrative events management job in Brisbane.

However, it is understood Inglis was struggling with the prospect of leaving his teammates and friends at the Storm at the end of the darkest period in the club's history.

That sense of loyalty, along with Melbourne's reluctance to pick-up more than a third of his $610,000 contract if he left, appears to have combined to scuttle Inglis's flirtation with Brisbane.

But Broncos chief Bruno Cullen still holds some hope.

"The latest is it's now looking likely -- I won't say highly likely -- that he might stay in Melbourne," Cullen told ABC Radio.

"We haven't been involved with this for a long time. The last couple of weeks have been taken up with Melbourne's new CEO taking his place in the organisation and looking over what's happened and what needs to happen to get under the cap, and working closely with Ian Schubert in that regard.

"It's come to the fore this weekend -- just Friday and Saturday -- that even if Greg goes and comes to the Broncos or even the Titans, there's a matter of him still being on their (Storm) cap for an amount of money."

Using the money made available following the loss of Israel Folau to the AFL, Brisbane tabled a non-negotiable $400,000-a-year deal to Inglis last month.

Having initially rejected the deal, Inglis reopened discussions after the Deloitte investigation into Storm's salary cap breaches revealed the club needed to shed $1.3 million worth of talent before next season.

At that time the Titans entered the fray, but despite comfortably topping the Broncos' offer never considered themselves a serious chance of signing the Test centre.

However, for the Brisbane deal to be finalised, Melbourne had to agree to pay and include on its salary cap the difference between his current contract and the money offered by the Broncos, a notion the Storm is unwilling to entertain.

"So Melbourne is saying, 'If he's going to go and he's still going to be on our cap then we're better off keeping him'," Cullen said.

"That hasn't played out yet, and I won't reveal the private conversation I had with Ron Gauci yesterday, but I know we'll do our best -- both clubs -- to tie it all up tomorrow because it's been very frustrating for all parties, including other players at the club.

"I haven't spoken to Greg himself but I do know it's becoming a very strong option that if his club has to carry him on the cap and lose him, they're better off maybe losing one or two others."

Inglis's decision will spark a flood of activity.

Should he stay, Kiwi Test forward Adam Blair and promising centre Dane Nielsen would almost certainly be squeezed out.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5902761222
Last edited by Noa Nadruku on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Haha I like how the article says "promising" centre Dane Nielsen. Dangers 25 turning 26, if he hasnt reached his potential by now then he never will. At his age and for the position he plays, he should be peaking.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Don't stress about Manu guys... I have reliably heard he is not only staying, but actually re-signed for 2 years.  Why it hasn't been announced I don't know.
Hopefully official confirmation comes soon
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]