Melbourne storm HOME game in NZ

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

To be honest I was annoyed but the more I think about it if the storm need to make money to survive in melbourne then so be it....in saying that I'm still asking for my money back as this membership was paid for by my parents and I'm paying them back therefore if I have less to pay with refund I'll feel better about it...and I'm proberly just Jelious I'm not going to NZ for the game
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

nacho wrote:I still cant see the logic in this, such a loss making club looking to maximise income while minimising profit
They decide on Napier, a small Rugby Union obsessed town with around 57,000 people. The cost to get the entire support staff, grounds set up, players, insurances, accommodation etc.. (sure alot will be free through sponsorships) would surely add up compared to a regular match day exp. Then what about Dragons? Are they given anything in return for now being forced to cross the ditch?

Then theres areas such as Geelong or Bendigo with around 178,000 and 82,000 people respectively (Heck! even contemplate Mildura with only 30,000). We have so much potential at our doorstep and the club disregards growing the game even more in our state? I imagine that many fans would be willing to have a bit of a road trip to these regional locations, the economy in those towns would go gangbusters and locals will remember the time that the storm family came to share a match.

The fact that so many of our storm faithful are not able to attend a home game will mean the atmosphere will be lost. The locals will compare it with Hurricane matches (I've been told thats the super 15 team of choice around there) and we cant compare.

Yes, Napier is that size but literally 10 mins (12kms) drive away is Hastings with roughly the same population. 3 hours away is Wellington & other smaller cities roughly 3 - 4 hours away on all sides. It's heartland rugby but also heartland league.

The stadium isn't huge but it WILL be a sell-out because they will come for miles around, even local RU supporters follow their local lad-done-good & the other Kiwis in the team + ALL the kids around here know Cam, Billy & Cooper (and others) - we will hopefully surprise you all with the reception the team (and the Dragons :P ) get. Hurricanes pffft!
I agree that the Melbourne area & bush locations need to be promoted by the Storm taking the game to them - has happened in the past & certain it will happen in the future.
one-eyed
Squall
Squall

It's not so much the cost and losing a home game as it is the way management has done it after draw was announced and memberships payed, how can we believe what they say now?
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Why why why are they saying if storm members want to buy tickets to the game we will get a 10% DISCOUNT why not if you give your membership number you get a ticket its a home game is it not? So if I want to go to the game as a member who already has purchased seats to all home games I need to buy another ticket and get a refund or donate the refund. Their joking right! Just ask for a donation from the members rather than trying to get money by deception guys I would rather that. Tell us the truth about where the club stands and the members will support the club I am sure but not while we are left in the dark. Walk the walk not talk the talk. "We want it to be a members club"
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

if it is done for the good of the club then I am ok with it. I am very excited about the 2015 season and can`t wait for kick off.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Spewing they chose that game to take OS. Was a great opportunity for an AFL/NRL double header.
I will barely use my quad pass membership this year. I just buy one these days to support. I was close to not renewing this year. I will be even closer next year.