2013 Official Thread + Signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Anyone else heard the rumor we're chasing Elijah Taylor? Not sure how much there is to it and can't see it happening but i for one would love seeing him in Storm colors. A real worker and i'm a big fan.
storm boy !
Squall
Squall

Would love to see him in storm colours

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
storm boy !
Squall
Squall

Looks like his contracted to the end of 2013, and looks like based on the article he wants to stay with the warriors..

Taylor insists he is staying with the Warriors
Last updated 05:00 01/07/2012

AARON LAWTON

In the space of a year, Elijah Taylor has gone from fresh-faced first-grader to certain starter in a Warriors side that has no shortage of playing depth. Aaron Lawton finds out what makes the 22-year-old tick.

Before we get any further – Elijah Taylor will not be playing for the Melbourne Storm next year.

For weeks, a rumour has floated about the Auckland league scene linking the talented two-test Kiwi to the competition frontrunners for next year.

Generally, when a team like the Storm want you, you go.

But with another year to run on his contract at Mt Smart Stadium, Taylor couldn't leave the Warriors' clutches, even if he wanted to.

And, just for the record, he has no plans to leave Auckland.

"I'm very happy here," Taylor says. "I'm enjoying the new coach and enjoying the camaraderie within the team. It's a one-of-a-kind sort of place.

"I was talking to [former Auckland Vulcan] Matt Robinson after the Penrith game and he said it's just not the same there at training.

"There's no Manu Vatuvei cracking jokes and it's all so serious.

"I feel privileged to be here and I'm very honoured to be a part of this club."

For what it's worth, rather than cast his eye further afield when he comes off contract at the end of next year, Taylor is more interested in signing a long-term deal with the Warriors.

"That's what the manager is working on at the moment. Hopefully, I get to stay here," he says.

"But, yes, as of right now, I'm contracted until the end of next year."

When asked about the rumours linking him to Melbourne, Taylor – not one who never appears to be short of a nice soundbite – pauses for a second, before directing the query to his manager.

"It's just a rumour," he says. "At the moment, the Warriors are my only focus for this year and next year and I'd love to stay here for a long time."

Manager Ian Miles comfortably deflects the suggestions, saying if there is interest in Taylor from across the Ditch, it's futile.

"We might be on their map, but they haven't made any overtures yet," he says. "He's at the Warriors until the end of 2013. He's happy with that and I know the Warriors are happy with that. End of story, really."

Regardless of the state of negotiations to extend Taylor's stay in Auckland, there's no doubting that, if the Warriors want to keep him, they'll have to upgrade his pay packet.

The final year of Taylor's contract, 2013, was an option in the club's favour, and given the deal was penned long before he flourished as a first-grader, it's unlikely he's earning the sort of money Sonny Bill Williams would get out of bed for.

Still, as much as he's developed as a player since making his first-grade debut in round four last year, Taylor remains his own harshest critic.

"There are always things to work on. I've said it before, but on attack I know I have to offer a lot more than what I am," he says.

"I'm not doing enough on attack because I'm working a lot harder defensively.

"I just need to improve more in that area and give the boys a decent option so that if they do hit me, I can do something with the football."

That mentality, that desperation to improve with each passing week has been, Taylor admits, both a blessing and a curse during his short career.

Last year, he hardly slept in the buildup to games, and while he was "living the dream" his anxiety meant he had very few of them.

"A lot of people would ask me last year about how much I was enjoying my football," Taylor says.

"I'd sit there, think about it and then have to admit that I wasn't really enjoying it.

"It's hard and, yes, I like winning but this is a tough gig, rugby league, and it's very demanding on your body.

"I'd worry that if I wasn't on my game, I'd be made to look silly out on the field and I know the job's never done."

With an increasing maturity, the backrower's brutal self assessments have softened somewhat this year.

Heading into today's clash against the North Queensland Cowboys in Auckland, Taylor has played all 14 matches in the starting side and finally concedes he's pleased with how he's going.

It all stems back, he says, to actually taking the time to enjoy doing what it is he does for a living.

"I'm enjoying my footy this year," Taylor says.

"I've worked on smelling the flowers a bit more and really learning to chill out and enjoy the company within the team.

"A lot of the boys have said I'm too hard on myself but I've got some high standards that I always want to perform to.

"I think it's the only way to be, the only way to get better anyway."

If he continues to improve at the rate he's been going, the Warriors might want to get out the cheque book or the Storm, amongst others, might come sniffing around again.

- © Fairfax NZ News

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Like I said I can't see it happening especially given hes still contracted but would certainly like it to in future when his contract is up.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Would be a great get
Monsoon
Monsoon

Pass, all the kid does is tackle, he offers nothing in attack, we already have enough back rowers like that.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

So happy Hinchy has signed with us for another four years,he says he was happy to turn down a much bigger offer from crappamatta to stay at Storm,
we are too Hinchy..
tough choice..STORM or crappamatta
Storm or crappamatta
Storm
crappamatta doesnmatta.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Seems to be the what a lot of stars overseas are willing to sacrifice a bit of money to win a championship. Just think. We will be contenders for minimum 4 years, with our big 3. Where are Parra at in 4 years ? LOL.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i think we should pick up a few of the Bradford Bulls

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

from twitter and email

Melbourne storm have re-signed bryan norrie for 2013 and Ben Hampton till 2014

happppyyyy me love benny

Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm sure the re-signing of Norrie will please some people no end....... :lol: I'm fine with it, if nothing else it gives us more depth and i still think he has something to offer the team. Great news about Hampton, he really impresses me that kid.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

2 good signings! norrie doesn't do the highlight reel stuff that supporters want, he just does his job every week. he cops the biggest hits the opposition can give and gets straight up, that's what i like about him
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:from twitter and email

Melbourne storm have re-signed bryan norrie for 2013 and Ben Hampton till 2014

happppyyyy me love benny

despite many wanting Nozza dropped to NSW Cup...it would appear that the Mr Bellamy and the Club have grander plans for the big fella....
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

storm boy ! wrote:
2013 squad is looking good so far! add players you think we should sign/resign to fill in the positions?

1. BILLY SLATER
2. MATT DUFFIE
3. WILL CHAMBERS
4. JUSTIN ONEIL
6. GARETH WIDDOP
7. COOPER CRONK
8. JESSE BROMWICH
9. CAMERON SMITH
10. JASON RYLES
11. KEVIN PROCTOR
12. RYAN HOFFMAN

INTERCHANGE:
14. RYAN HINCHCLIFFE
15. TOHU HARRIS
16. SIOSAIA VAVE
17.Bryan Norrie

18. KURT MANN
19. SISA WAQA
20. KENNY BROMWICH
21. MITCHELL GARBUTT
22. SLADE GRIFFIN
23.Ben Hampton
Players in bold are the new signings
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/n ... 6420440115

NZ warriors player Omar Slaimankhel has become the focus of an NRL bidding war

PAKISTAN-born Afghani Omar Slaimankhel doesn't remember much about the war-torn life he left behind when he was two, but he knows it's a world away from his current high-flying NRL career.
The young Warriors star is the focus of a bidding war by several NRL clubs, with the former Toyota Cup fullback of the year off contract and destined for more first grade action than what can be offered behind the likes of Kevin Locke, Bill Tupou and Manu Vatuvei in Auckland.

"I haven't got anything sorted for next year. I will just take it week by week and it's going good for me at the moment," Slaimankhel said.

The fact Slaimankhel is playing NRL at all is a remarkable story which can be traced back to the brave move by his parents, father Iqbal and mother Marium, to walk more than 100km from their village in Afghanistan to Kalu Khurd in Pakistan.

That is where Omar, one of five sons, was born in 1992. By 1994, the entire family were on their way to New Zealand to start a new life.

He played for the First XV at New Zealand's leading rugby union school, Auckland Grammar, alongside the Warriors' new tryscoring sensation Konrad Hurrell, before being snapped up by league scouts.

"My family is from Afghanistan, so I'm Afghani. I came over to New Zealand very young," he said.

"I don't remember too much . .

I'm just thankful that it happened this way and I'm real thankful for this opportunity."

The opportunity he talks about is his chance to cover for the injury of Vatuvei for the past three NRL games.

At Skilled Park last Saturday, he almost pulled off one of the most spectacular tries this season when with his body in the air and out of bounds he reached around the corner post to ground the ball in the corner, only just collecting the chalk.

lets hope we are one of them cause omg he is a good footy player