2013 Official Thread + Signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wouldnt count Webster, Smith or Widdop as Ive seen some claim
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I agree with Michael P that Webster, Smith and Widdop do not classify as true “Born & Bred Players”

Smith was born in New Zealand and played some junior rugby league at Altona Roosters but was picked up by the Storm from the Runaway Bay side on the Gold coast and made his debut in round 23, 2004.
So "Neither Born or Bred”

To date, Jake Webster is the only Melbourne-born player to play with the Melbourne Storm. He was born in Moonee Ponds but moved to Queensland before ever player any junior rugby league. He made his debut in round 16, 2006. So “Born” but not “Bred”

The first player to come through any semblance of the Victorian system however was Widdop, starting in the juniors at the age of 16, with the following pathways, Altona Roosters, Bayside School Arrive Alive Cup, Victoria U18, Melbourne Storm U18 Academy, Inaugural Under 20s team and then 1st Grade. So “Semi Bred but not Born”

Now, it depends on your definition of “Born & Bred”, but my take on this is, that to be a truly classified a "Born & Bred" Victorian player, that player should be obviously born in Victoria but must also have come through all the junior rugby league levels working up and into the Storm Development, progressing through the various development squads. I am not aware that we have such a player ready to step up to 1st Grade this year or next that as actually done that!!

Your Thoughts!!!!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That was what I meant. I assume he is eligible for Australia too which is the main problem I see with the other three, Smith and Webster have played for New Zealand and Widdop for England, how can they be Victorian but identify themselves as non-Australians?
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Mattpoet wrote:That was what I meant. I assume he is eligible for Australia too which is the main problem I see with the other three, Smith and Webster have played for New Zealand and Widdop for England, how can they be Victorian but identify themselves as non-Australians?
I think you will find it's the media and the club doing the classifying and making all the claims and not the players themselves.

Evan Fonua Mahe can not be classified has a truly “Born & Bred” player because he lived and played in Canberra and played for the ACT U18’s for 2 years before coming back to Melbourne in 2009. So "Born but not Bred"
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jake was Born in Moonee Ponds thats funny....
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

My understanding is that Fonua went to Canberra because there was no pathway to the NRL in Victoria at the time but came back when we got SG Ball
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Widdop managed it without the SG Ball! Mahe chased his dream outside of Victoria and the Melbourne Development net.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

they each took the path that they thought best i suppose
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Can anybody tell me if I'm right in thinking that Blair, Kostjasyn and possibly Norrie have options in their favour to stay with us for next year?
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Even though Mahe spent a couple of years in the ACT, given he learnt started rugby league here, has played the vast majority of his league here from 9 year old, as well as represented Victoria in the under 15's and under 18's i think it's fair to say he's well and truly a born and bred Melbourne boy.

As for all the others mentioned i also don't agree that they're born and bred. As far as i'm concerned we haven't had any yet.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:Can anybody tell me if I'm right in thinking that Blair, Kostjasyn and possibly Norrie have options in their favour to stay with us for next year?
They all have options Matt and i take it they're in our favor given we just used it to keep Sisa.

Maurice Blair re-signs with Storm

AAP Sat, Jul 30, 2011 - 8:46 PM

Melbourne centre Maurice Blair has signed a one-year extension with the ladder leading NRL club. The 26-year-old former Penrith Panther has been a surprise packet in 2011 since making his debut for the Storm against Brisbane in round nine. Blair's deal include's an additional one year option.

The Storm are also celebrating the re-signings of key players Bryan Norrie, Rory Kostjasyn and Sisa Waqa. All three have extended their contract for another season with an additional optional year, adding significant depth to the Storm squad for 2012.
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Nothing wrong with the pathways players take Matt, I am just stating some facts in relation to the "Born & Bred" debate we are having.

We have already had the first develpoed player out of the Victorian system to play 1st Grade in Widdop. But what I wanted to find out is do we have anyone close to the true "Born & Bred" player as per my earlier explanation of what I beleive to be a Born & Bred player

BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Which club did Mahe play from 9 year old?

Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Don't worry mate, I wasn't taking any offense. No idea which local club Mahe is from though, just know he only went to the Raiders for 2 years in his mid teens.

Fairly sure that Young Tonumaipea is from Craigieburn (same as me) though if that helps.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

BigG wrote:Which club did Mahe play from 9 year old?

Mahe is from the Waverley Panthers...The greatest club in Melbourne :D haha