Is our recruiting letting us down?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

mattystorm1987 wrote:well when I spoke to bellamy a few years back I asked him about cam n he told me that cam was contracted to the raiders in 2001 n he come up through the raiders system..
Check anywhere you like online & you might find there is NOTHING to back up that claim.
Mayhaps our 'former Canberra boy' coach was yanking someones chain.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

ok fair enough never really looked into it just took his word for it.. sucks to be them if it is true, let the best player in the game go for woolford.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

regardless, he's never played fg for anybody else
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

woolford over CAMMY hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah that is why they will always be a mediocre club.No eye for talent
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The word is that Blair wants to come back. If that happens then our recruiting sure as shit is letting us down! Don't need him. Harris and Proctor offer more than he ever did!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

LESStar58 wrote:The word is that Blair wants to come back. If that happens then our recruiting sure as shit is letting us down! Don't need him. Harris and Proctor offer more than he ever did!
Yeah, just saw that too and my heart skipped a beat. Please no!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Please don't do it Storm. It's like we're trying to bring the entire band back together (Hoffy, Chambers, Finchy and now possibly Adam Blair). Even though Hoffy and Chambers have been great for us since coming back last year and Finchy was really only recruited to eventually get into a coaching role - enough is enough! When is it going to end with the club bringing back relics of the past? If we sign Adam, then I reckon our recruiting is really starting to become unadventurous. Why don't we bring back Matt Orford, Scott Hill, Matt King, Ben Cross, Antonio Kafusi, Matt Geyer and Steve Turner. Seriously, it's time to move on.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hoffy was always coming back. He went to ease with salary cap pressure and to help the club. This guy bleeds purple and he would never have gone and played with another club so he went overseas. It also gave him and his wife a chance to see the world. It was part of the deal that Storm would bring him back.

Finch says he wanted to come back because he loved Melbourne and they would help with his life outside football.

With Chambers I think it was a bit no one else wanted him and no one else was willing to come to Melbourne. Strom needed another back and Chambers need a football team. It just worked.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

glennb wrote:Hoffy was always coming back. He went to ease with salary cap pressure and to help the club. This guy bleeds purple and he would never have gone and played with another club so he went overseas. It also gave him and his wife a chance to see the world. It was part of the deal that Storm would bring him back.

Finch says he wanted to come back because he loved Melbourne and they would help with his life outside football.

With Chambers I think it was a bit no one else wanted him and no one else was willing to come to Melbourne. Strom needed another back and Chambers need a football team. It just worked.
I'm not saying that we shouldn't have bought back Hoffy and Chambers (who as I said have been better players for us than when they were before they left the club) and maybe even Finchy - but that is all we need. What I'm saying is that we don't need anymore former Storm players from the salary cap scandal era (especially one that hasn't played to his potential since about 2010 in Adam Blair). We really have moved on from that era and we need to look to the future.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

mattstormy wrote:We really have moved on from that era and we need to look to the future.
:thumbleft: =D> :thumbright:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree with you mattstormy. I know others might not agree with me, but I was never a really big Blair fan. He played four great games in the 2009 final series then it all stopped.
Last edited by glennb on Wed May 29, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think his peak form for the finals of 2009 was to do with his first move into the back row. It worked for a while but he slowly became lazy and didn't want to run the ball up hard like he did when he played in the front row.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

he doesn't run enough or with enough purpose. wouldn't mind if we could get gi back though lol
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

We have the best recruitment department in the country and it shows with the amount of talent we have in our junior ranks.

20's players such as Matt McGahan, Kurt Mann, Denny Solomona, Richie Kennar, Pride Peterson-Robati, Cade Umaga, Dean Britt and Matt Lodge will all be certain first grade starters in years to come. Those names alone shows you how well placed our future is.

Rugby league strongholds such as Penrith and Parramatta are blessed to have such an abundance of talent at their disposal and really don't have to look far for the next Michael Jennings or Jarryd Hayne. We on the other hand aren't as lucky and being in an AFL dominated state has meant our recruitment department has had to search far and wide to replenish our playing stocks. From Auckland rugby union to country NSW, far north Queensland and most recently Fiji rugby union, we have found ourselves enough talent to ensure we remain competitive long after the big 3 move on.

As a club we have always built our squad from within and that will never change and neither should it. So whilst people suggest buying this player and that player from other clubs, keep a few things in mind.

1) To pull on a Storm jumper, you must first buy in to our culture. Not every individual is cut out for it and it separates the boys from the men. If you adopt the club ethos then you will reap the rewards, just look at how guys like Norrie and Ryles have managed to re-invent themselves.

2) Price tags for established first graders are inflated for our club as players want to be compensated for changing lifestyles and surroundings. In that sense we are similar to the Warriors who have to pay "overs" to recruit Aussies. So why overpay when you can produce your own junior for half the cost?

Relying on our juniors has won us 3 premierships and the current crop of O'Neill, Fonua, Duffie, Chambers, Hampton, Bromwich, McLean, Proctor, Tonumaipea, Auva'a and Harris have the potential to lead us to more glory. Sure a few of these guys are up and down lately, but thats expected when your 22-23 years old. They are rarely scratching the surface of their potential and when they do the results will be scary.

As for bringing in old heads like Blair, it's a great idea if it were to happen. Whilst you can never have enough young guns, the need for experience and harden seasoned professionals is just as crucial. There's a fine balance and we have always seemed to find that perfect point.

The club makes the player, not the other way around.

So those who question our recruiting need to take a step back and assess the situation without purple glasses on.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I can see your point about our U20s players coming through (they are quality players and a number of them should be given a chance in first grade for us), but the recruiting I'm talking about is buying players who are mid 20s and over from other clubs to help out the young players and play five or more years at the club.

Over the last few years, we have bought experienced props who are in their late 20s and early-mid 30s and that is about it (most have all retired and Jason Ryles is retiring at the end of this year, while Bryan Norrie will probably go to Super League).

While everyone can bag Anthony Quinn all they want, he was actually the last experienced outside back we bought to the club and gave us terrific service for six years and turned out to be a 100+ game player for the club (also he will probably be in the team of 20 years when it is announced in 2017 I reckon). All the rest had very minimal first grade experience or some like Luke MacDougall or Beau Champion (and also what Junior Sa'u will probably be) had played a number of first grade games but left the Storm after 1 year. We have had the opportunity to buy more bagain basement outside backs over the years but we have wasted those opportunities.

As I mentioned a couple of posts above, we should not keep looking back in the past to bring back players who played with us predominantly in the 2006-10 era. Hoffy, Chambers and Finchy are enough (Hoffy was always going to come back, Chambers was a perfect fit for us after Beau Champion left and Finchy coming back was mainly to get into a coaching role and he came back at a bargain price). What I can't understand is why Adam Blair's name is being mentioned as a possible comeback to the club. We got rid of him because he turned into a lazy player and his asking price was ridiculous (the Tigpies paid extreme overs for him and now they have an expensive lemon).

Hopefully at the end of the year and with a few players coming off contract at other clubs, we can sign some decent but underrated players (especially outside backs) for 2014.