Maurice Blair to Penrith?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bourbon Rat wrote:NOBODY is going to 'better themselves' under Gould ::)
Agree...I meant financially
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

if its about money, why wouldnt he stay with the club next year, hopefully another successful year, then after the new tv deal is done he would be worth more in 2013
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chip wrote:Maybe the second year option from Storm was limited in that there was a big IF whether he made the grade or not & its been outplayed by the offer from Penrith. The guy has a 2nd chance to better himself financially & its too good to not consider
With the option being in his favor i have no issue at all him considering the Panthers offer, especially if it's as lucrative as it's been reported as it's his prerogative to do so. As mentioned though i'm just a bit miffed about how/why they made it in his favor and not ours. I'm sure there's a decent reason for it but i'm just a bit curious as to what it would be.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I reckon their expectations were lower rather than higher & in the situation Storm was in last year (i.e. being under the cap) they weren't prepared to commit to 2 yrs like that. As it stands it may have backfired a little for Storm cos he's exceeded expectations but really the ball is in Blair's court. Like I said, hard decision to make for him....he has to know what a reprieve he's been given, that its been down to the training & culture & bellamy that he's come into his own - the question is to me, has he got it enough to be able to make the most of his chances and keep the bar as high as what is set at the Storm, on his own? Or, does he realise this is as good as it gets? Hard decision IMO
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Considering many Penrith fans thought Blair had a KFC / McD addiction,(and considering the apparent chubbing up of GI) here's a couple of timely quotes.
Give thanks for what you are now, and keep fighting for what you want to be tomorrow. ~Fernanda Miramontes-Landeros
Laziness will cause you pain. ~Slogan on T-shirt
Then again staying a Stormer has this benefit 8)
If you surrender to the wind, you can ride it. ~Toni Morrison
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I totally understand why Storm wouldn't want to commit for 2 years given it's always a risk bringing in other clubs discards even with the excellent record we have with turning them around, but by putting a second year option in our favor it's still only committing for the original one year so it wouldn't have made a difference in that respect and had no extra risk, either way he was still here for at least one season. If it didn't turn out we could've easily punted him, if it did (and has) we could've taken up the option for year 2.

Anyway we don't have that luxury for whatever reason so we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Ice wrote:I totally understand why Storm wouldn't want to commit for 2 years given it's always a risk bringing in other clubs discards even with the excellent record we have with turning them around, but by putting a second year option in our favor it's still only committing for the original one year so it wouldn't have made a difference in that respect and had no extra risk, either way he was still here for at least one season. If it didn't turn out we could've easily punted him, if it did (and has) we could've taken up the option for year 2.

Anyway we don't have that luxury for whatever reason so we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
Didn't think about it in that respect but yeah....if he has any sense at all taking up the 2nd year option with Storm is the right decision but as you said we can only wait and see
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I guess it will all come down to whats more important to him, winning a title (or 2 ;) ) or the money. Every player is different and places more importance on one over the other but my view is the money will always be there if you continue to put in the hard yards and perform, titles on the other hand are much harder to come by. Some of the great players of the game might've earned some good coin but they've also left the game without being a premiership winner and i'm sure they'd have done anything to win one. Each to their own though.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Here's hoping Bobby... :occasion7:
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

A Hail Storm just came in saying that he's signed for 2012 with an option for 2013.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I AM ONE VERY VERY VERY HAPPY SUPPORTER

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

absentee wrote:A Hail Storm just came in saying that he's signed for 2012 with an option for 2013.
Not only is he shaping up to be one very good player (and asset for Storm) but I'm thinking he is one intelligent man!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Excellent news, he obviously saw that success was worth more than money though i'm sure he'd have copped a nice little upgrade in the process ;-) I was also very happy to read in the email that Rory signed up for another year as well. He has an excellent work ethic and i'd be very surprised if other clubs (Parra to name one) weren't sniffing around for his services, there's no doubt he'd get plenty more game time in most teams but props to him for committing again.

You'd think if he can't secure a spot next year he might move on after that but he's one of those players you'd wish nothing but the best for like Nathan Friend and hope they go on to bigger and better things if he ever did leave. Personally though i'd be more than happy for him to find a place somewhere in the 17 because he'll rarely if ever let you down.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Agree Ice. Rory seems like a nice kid and a hard worker it's great that he has another year with us

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/m ... 6105153835
Maurice Blair to stay with Melbourne Storm

Russell Gould
July 31, 2011 12:00AM

MELBOURNE Storm has fought off a clandestine approach from Penrith to retain the services of boom centre Maurice Blair for next season.

Cast off by the Panthers after a full season in reserve grade last year, Blair has thrived in Melbourne, scoring a double in last week's win over Brisbane.

Penrith officials tried to woo him back.

But Blair told Storm he would take up the second-year option on his contract.
Great News.