Sunday's game live on Channel nine

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

What a wonderful atmosphere on the hill yesterday.
Got treated just fine and shared some good banter. Heard the word 'cheats' about 1000 times, but not once was it directed at any of the supporters.
In the end, they were abusing their own players, especially Farrah and Ryan (gee they hate Ryan).
Cold beer in cans, lovely sunshine and a Storm win.
Was a wonderful day and I would strongly encourage anyone who hasn't done Leichardt to do it, even if Storm aren't playing.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

absentee wrote:86,000 viewers in Melbourne. The Storm did better in Melbourne than the Swans did in Sydney.
Wow - a great result, and proof that if Channel 9 pull their fingers out, treat their viewers with respect - that all can benefit.

This is the third live game - and the third increase - this season. I believe the previous figures were something like 35k, 50k, and now 86k. That's pretty healthy, and who knows where it may level out at in time.

What would be good is if Channel 9 put our blockbuster home games against Broncos and Dragons live against the gate. I would be very confident that we would draw 25k plus to the ground, and get great exposure on the box too.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Just looked ahead to next Sunday and they've let us down dismally. Ok, its a FoxSports telecast from NZ so 9 can't show it live. But the only league is at 12:20 and its the Knights V Roosters game.
I have Foxtel so I'm sweet. But just putting it out there.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Show em Howe
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Exactly how have we been let down badly because the game is being shown live at 12pm on Fox?
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

"Exactly how have we been let down badly because the game is being shown live at 12pm on Fox?"

Do you struggle to read and comprehend English? It was stated in my post. But just for you I'll explain again.

You see not everybody has a subscription to Foxtel so they rely on free-to-air tv (ie ch9) to watch Storm games. This Sunday ch9 cannot show the game live as it is a FoxSports telecast. They can show it delayed after about 3hrs of kickoff. Instead they've chosen to not show it at all. And to really rub it in they're showing the Knights V Roosters game instead, at midnight.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Heard the word 'cheats' about 1000 times, but not once was it directed at any of the supporters.

I got this pharse used towards me at Origin 1 this year. Someone needs to tell me how are we cheats this year. Someone said to me just recently that Storm is probably the only team under the cap this season!
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

glennb wrote:Heard the word 'cheats' about 1000 times, but not once was it directed at any of the supporters.

I got this pharse used towards me at Origin 1 this year. Someone needs to tell me how are we cheats this year. Someone said to me just recently that Storm is probably the only team under the cap this season!
To be honest, I expected it and it was fine. When there was good banter, I conveniently reminded them that they are the actual salary cap cheats at the moment and not us. That shut a few of them up, but I said it in a way that wouldn't cause a riot.
It was all good.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Go Storm wrote:This Sunday ch9 cannot show the game live as it is a FoxSports telecast. They can show it delayed after about 3hrs of kickoff. Instead they've chosen to not show it at all. And to really rub it in they're showing the Knights V Roosters game instead, at midnight.
That's not how it works. Channel Nine can only show the games they have the rights to - Friday nights and 3pm Sunday. When have you ever seen Nine show a replay of a Fox Sports game? Hopefully with the next TV rights deal we get something similar to AFL fans outside of Victoria - all games free to air (ie. all Swans games shown live on digital free to air). Then I'm sure we'll see some real growth.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

absentee wrote:86,000 viewers in Melbourne. The Storm did better in Melbourne than the Swans did in Sydney.
Really good ratings, thats what happens when the game's advertised in advance and on a regular basis. Having said that it will probably be the last game Ch.9 will show live for the year.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

absentee wrote:
Go Storm wrote:This Sunday ch9 cannot show the game live as it is a FoxSports telecast. They can show it delayed after about 3hrs of kickoff. Instead they've chosen to not show it at all. And to really rub it in they're showing the Knights V Roosters game instead, at midnight.
That's not how it works. Channel Nine can only show the games they have the rights to - Friday nights and 3pm Sunday. When have you ever seen Nine show a replay of a Fox Sports game? Hopefully with the next TV rights deal we get something similar to AFL fans outside of Victoria - all games free to air (ie. all Swans games shown live on digital free to air). Then I'm sure we'll see some real growth.
Are they not allowed to show a FoxSports broadcast (as Fox show ch9 broadcasts) or is it simply they choose to show their own so as to not have to purchase the replay from Fox and then promote different commentators/Fox logos/watermarks, etc?
I would suggest its a fiscal decision, otherwise it's quite a basterdised contract they've entered into where one party has all rights and the other limited rights.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Go Storm wrote:
absentee wrote:
Are they not allowed to show a FoxSports broadcast (as Fox show ch9 broadcasts) or is it simply they choose to show their own so as to not have to purchase the replay from Fox and then promote different commentators/Fox logos/watermarks, etc?
I would suggest its a fiscal decision, otherwise it's quite a basterdised contract they've entered into where one party has all rights and the other limited rights.
No. Fox Sports can show replays of Channel Nine games but it doesn't go the other way. That's just how it works. Put simply, Nine gets to choose the best games of each round (the games they think will get them the highest ratings) for their timeslots and Fox Sports gets the rest. The current AFL deal is the same.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

absentee wrote:
Go Storm wrote:
absentee wrote:That's not how it works. Channel Nine can only show the games they have the rights to - Friday nights and 3pm Sunday. When have you ever seen Nine show a replay of a Fox Sports game? Hopefully with the next TV rights deal we get something similar to AFL fans outside of Victoria - all games free to air (ie. all Swans games shown live on digital free to air). Then I'm sure we'll see some real growth.
No. Fox Sports can show replays of Channel Nine games but it doesn't go the other way. That's just how it works. Put simply, Nine gets to choose the best games of each round (the games they think will get them the highest ratings) for their timeslots and Fox Sports gets the rest. The current AFL deal is the same.
Incorrect as far as I'm aware - CH9 could show FOX games on delay if they wished, but I'm sure it requires CH9 to purchase a shared rights licence for each event - they have the option but it is their choice not to do so.

Prior to the introduction of two FNF games, when the Broncos didn't have a mortgage on CH9 games, they could be seen on Saturdays live via FOX and then delayed on CH9/WIN in SE QLD. I'm pretty sure the Knights may have had a similar arrangement. In SE QLD at least, this seems to have been scrapped since the Titans were introduced, as the SE QLD monopoly for the Broncos is now over. So if they aren't going to do it for the Broncos any more, they sure as shit ain't going to do it for us!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

If A Blair goes to the pussies does he get the job of getting the cow pats off the leichart ground before the game starts. When are the pussies going to move into this century with a decent ground. WHO really wants to STAND on a hill and watch a game of rugby league, NOT ME thats fior sure,