lets move 3 home games nexst year to telstra dome

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Not that i support going back to TD in any way but Victory apparently got 25,000 plus to their game there on Sunday. Will be interesting to see if that continues...
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hailstorm wrote: Not that i support going back to TD in any way but Victory apparently got 25,000 plus to their game there on Sunday. Will be interesting to see if that continues...
Only until the 1st loss,then it starts to drop off
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Ron Supwood
Squall
Squall

I do not support a move back to Docklands. The Melbourne Victory have a much larger member base than Storm. They also have closed the gates and locked out people which apart from the first home game 1998 has never been a Storm problem. I cannot fathom how a bigger stadium will draw bigger crowds. It will not happen. When we moved to Docklands we lost supporters and vice a versa when we moved back to Olympic.

The Docklands has better parking, toilet facilities, seating, food outlets and you name it is better than Olympic Park. My seat was on the 50 metre line (Great view) with the Access One Bar 30 metres away. Olympic Park was built for the 1956 Olympics and is fundementally the same now.

Having said that the spiritual home of Rugby League in Melbourne is Olympic Park (with its crap facilities)and given there are no benefits I can see for shifting the games apart from a perceived idea we will draw 30,000 plus crowds. History suggests this will not happen.
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Stormwarning I wasn't talking about football I was talking about Soccer
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mikey wrote: Stormwarning I wasn't talking about football I was talking about Soccer
LOL, it's one in the same mate ;)

Football, League, Union and footy the 4 codes in this country and don't the AFL hate it now they are being referred to in the media as footy.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Mikey wrote: Stormwarning I wasn't talking about football I was talking about Soccer
PLEASE
Do NOT get him started on the term
FOOTBALL
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

To late ;)  :lol: :lol:

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

I've been reading this thread with much amusement  :lol:
I totally agree that moving 'a couple' of Storm games to Telstra Dome is silly - not just because of people not liking the venue or getting bigger crowds there, but because there are massive logistical reasons!
Does anyone realise that ticketing for OP & Telstra are totally different?  OP has Ticketek while Telstra has Ticketmaster.  Having been at Storm (this is where things have NOT changed  ;-)) during both the move to Colonial & back to OP I can say this with full knowledge.  Membership cards and corporate tickets have totally different bar codes and each venues scanners are set up differently.
The case is not just to move the game, it's the corporate areas as well, different staffing - Telstra staff have no idea how our games are run or what members/corporates are entitled to and believe me, even telling people 10 times doesn't always get the message through. 
Please don't try to tell me that for only a 'couple' of games it would be ok, it won't unless the club are willing to create heaps of extra work for themselves in addition to the general running of the regular season.
If Storm were to do something like this it would be a massive undertaking by the club and a great deal of work behind the scenes. 

The other thing to think about is that if you moved a game to Telstra and did NOT get the crowds expected, the monetary loss to the club would be enormous.

Off the cuff suggestions are great - if they are viable - in this case they're not.
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Ron Supwood
Squall
Squall

Tigger wrote: does anyone realise that ticketing for OP & Telstra are totally different?  OP has Ticketek while Telstra has Ticketmaster.  Having been at Storm (this is where things have NOT changed  ;-)) during both the move to Colonial & back to OP I can say this with full knowledge.  Membership cards and corporate tickets have totally different bar codes and each venues scanners are set up differently.
The SOCCER people seem to have overcome the problem. I believe they have only moved 4 games.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

And the workload for the admin staff would be massive.
But don't forget they have a better relationship with Telstra management than Storm obviously did, we got shafted from day one!  Soccer doesn't interfere with most of the the AFL season (AFL being the real boss of Telstra Dome)
Ron Supwood
Squall
Squall

Tigger wrote: And the workload for the admin staff would be massive.
But don't forget they have a better relationship with Telstra management than Storm obviously did, we got shafted from day one!  Soccer doesn't interfere with most of the the AFL season (AFL being the real boss of Telstra Dome)
Fully understand.
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

for the sake of confussion on here lets just refer to the game as Soccer
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Football is any game where you put boot to ball, anytime, anyhow  :D

Footy is normally the way most aussies (not so much into the other football  ;-)) refer to AFL (in Victoria, WA, SA & NT) and RL (in the northern states)

It's ALL football  ;D ;-)
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Does anyone know how much corporate members the Victory have. Looking at some of the footage there doesn't seem that much.