Signings, Re-Signings and Releases

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Thanks Fampa&Rose - thought it was just me and wasn't game to say but I too have no idea - i have been just trying to enjoy the season
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

orford is meeting with his manager tonight to decide his future
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yeah... he'll make an announcement before this weekend's game too ay? :roll:
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Insomniac wrote:yeah... he'll make an announcement before this weekend's game too ay? :roll:
dont know...if it clears his mind..and allows him to play better then i sure hope so.

Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Does this mean there will be an announcement onight or tomorrow or on his future?

:faroah:
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

surely you know better than that ;)
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'll keep an eye out in the papers in August for an announcement then, shall I? ;)

:faroah:
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
girvie
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Danny Weidler just said something about releasing Jamie Feeney next year to free up cash. I dont think they should. He has played well this year.
www.mightybears.com

www.northsydneybears.com.au
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

yeah wielder siad the club would look at letting chan and feeny go to fit ross or orford in.

if the club let feeney go...ill deadset be pissed right off!

Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'll add this ftom today's Sydney Morning Herald

Bell's manager, Wade Fenton, said last night Bell was very close to deciding on his future. Speculation centred on Manly as favourites.

Orford and Bell are good friends and are regarded as likely - but not certain - to go to the same club, but Mimis was adamant that suggestions Orford had already committed himself to a club were wrong.

"I flew to Melbourne today and I'm having dinner with Matt tonight so we can map things out and get a clearer read on it," Mimis said yesterday.

"This whole process has taken lots of twists and turns, but contrary to all of the rumours and back pages out there Matt has not made an agreement with any club.

"I would describe it as an even-money bet between Melbourne, Manly and Souths and I'll be meeting with [Storm] chief executive Brain Waldron tomorrow. Matt has always wanted to stay at Melbourne if possible and, if we were able to move a bit closer with the terms, it wouldn't be a shock if he stayed."

Melbourne are rated as favourites to get Ross, but Mimis, who also manages him, said negotiations were continuing not only with the Storm, but also Souths and Cronulla.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/stuar ... 95184.html
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Sky News just said that Ben Ross is likely to go to Sharks and not Storm.
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

The latest on contract talks:
One week into trading season, the NRL 'meat market' has hit overdrive with reports plentiful speculating the destination of some of the 'most eligible bachelors' of the competition.

The highest profile names currently available to discuss terms with rival clubs for 2006 moves include Bulldogs and New South Wales five-eighth Braith Anasta, Melbourne halfback Matt Orford, his Storm teammate in centre Steven Bell and Penrith's Queensland front rower, Ben Ross.

Anasta (pictured, above) has been pushed out of the defending Premiers due to 2006 salary cap considerations, following their re-signings of Willie Mason, Sonny Bill Williams, Mark O'Meley and Andrew Ryan.

South Sydney, his junior club, have definitely made the most attractive financial offer for his services, however in terms of prospects; the offer from the three-time grand-finalist Roosters is increasingly seeming to be the winning bid for his services.

Anasta has come out and praised the Roosters' coach Ricky Stuart overnight, stating he is "the best I've played under" following their Origin series victory.

Also the lure of guaranteed finals football, something he cannot be assured at Souths, seems to have the force for the star five-eighth to pick Bondi as his destination for 2006 and beyond.

Matt Orford (pictured, right) is still wanted by the Melbourne Storm, but bids from South Sydney and most recently Manly will stretch the Southern club's resolve.

Souths have offered Orford a four-year deal worth close to 500,000 dollars-a-season, while Melbourne's deal is for three years worth close to 450,000 a year, with Manly's offer being slightly less than the Storm's, but for the same duration.

Should Orford decide that he wants to return to his partner's and family's home in New South Wales, his choice will be brought down to Souths and Manly.

Although the Rabbitohs' offer is financially superior, Manly is currently sitting in the top four and already possesses players of quality like Ben Kennedy, Steven Menzies, Anthony Watmough, Brett Stewart, Michael Monaghan and Brent Kite.

Their current roster is expected to have them at slight favourites over the Bunnies, who are hoping to build a new squad - an act that just may seem too far from completion for the 27-year-old Orford.

Melbourne chief executive Brian Wauldron has been granted another meeting with Orford's management on Friday, and if that is for George Mimis to alert Orford's employer that his client is on his way out of Melbourne or to further discuss conditions is unknown.

But a decision looks likely very shortly, with Melbourne as slight favourites because they are the incumbents, but only slightly ahead of the New South Wales duo of Manly and South Sydney. The Peninsula club appears to hold the aces should Orford decide to switch states.

Orford's Melbourne teammate Steven Bell (pictured, left) is the next most wanted player on the open market. Although a late bloomer at 29, he is the best outside back available, and seems likely to follow his current club number seven to whichever club he chooses.

On thing for sure is that Bell will definitely depart Melbourne regardless of Orford's decision. If Orford stays, Bell will pick Manly, who are offering only slightly less than South Sydney for his services but more for the dollar in terms of prospects.

If Orford chooses Manly, Bell's decision will be made easier but he is likely to follow the City halfback should he choose South Sydney.

Penrith have released one of the best props in the Origin series just passed, with Ben Ross (pictured, right) attracting plenty of wannabe suitors.

Melbourne are leading the chase and will most certainly nab his signature if Orford leaves the club. South Sydney are again chasing the big unit's services, while Cronulla have entered the fray as they attempt to cover for the impending retirement of Jason Stevens, who is on big money.

Sources in Melbourne have revealed coach Craig Bellamy was chasing Ross last season, and was again quick to enter the race for his signature once learning of his availability.

The Storm might attract Ross most, as he will lead a line that will most certainly push for finals football for the next couple of seasons.

Other movement on the market suggests Gold Coast-bound winger Brian Carney may move to the Newcastle Knights, while waiting for the 2007 inclusion into the NRL of his new team.

Also, Cowboys' fringe prop Jaiman Lowe is almost certain to move to South Sydney, assuring the struggling club of at east one off-season signing.

In the last few days, Cronulla's Keith Galloway has moved to the Wests Tigers, the Broncos Thomas Learoyd-Lahrs has moved to Canberra as well as young Bulldogs' prop Trevor Thurling. Cronulla has replaced Galloway by signing another Bronco on the move in Darren Mapp.
We're definitely the center of attention.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Souths offer is only 50k more then Storm and Manly's is less, I think Orford will stay,
he'd be stupid to go elsewhere.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

simo wrote:Souths offer is only 50k more then Storm and Manly's is less, I think Orford will stay,
he'd be stupid to go elsewhere.
stay with the storm? :shock:

steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think he'll stay too, and it will be announced at tomorrow nights game!!! What a night it will be then!
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]