Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Itzbek the Purple wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:51 pm
blazza18 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:26 am Just wild to me that our depth at fullback is too good that Drinkwater has gone from going to start round 1 to now possibly being on a completely different team 3 months later. And that we have no one putting Brodie Croft's first grade spot under pressure.

Hmm.
You can add Hynes as another full back option as well. I just wonder that as so much work and games have been put into Croft , to turn around now and say he's not up to it could make put certain people in a bad light?
Understand that in principle...but the Club runs the risk of losing a player that has the very real potential to be as a good player as Munster has become.

Drinkwater will be seriously good imho
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Article saying we could lose Drinky to the Cowboys as early as this weekend. An absolute disaster if true.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lucas wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:26 pm Article saying we could lose Drinky to the Cowboys as early as this weekend. An absolute disaster if true.
:angryfire:

Our Club hasn't had to regret too many playing roster decisions.....but letting Drinkwater go is going to be regarded as a nightmare imho...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

To me the question is would this have happened if Drinkwater never got injured?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:33 pmTo me the question is would this have happened if Drinkwater never got injured?
Good question. I assume not as I don't think he would have relinquished the 1 jersey easily. But at the same time, does the fact that now he has returned from injury and doesn't want to fight to get that #1 jersey back, say something about his work ethic/mental toughness?
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:04 pm
blazza18 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:33 pmTo me the question is would this have happened if Drinkwater never got injured?
Good question. I assume not as I don't think he would have relinquished the 1 jersey easily. But at the same time, does the fact that now he has returned from injury and doesn't want to fight to get that #1 jersey back, say something about his work ethic/mental toughness?
As I said in an earlier post, I am very surprised Drinkwater is not prepared to stay and fight for his spot.

Losing him is very very disappointing. I would have thought he was certain to get a run during the Origin period , and use that opportunity to stake his claim for ongoing selection. He will be a big loss long term.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tbf to Drinkwater he did beat out both those other 2 and was going to start the season. And he's good enough to warrant being in the side much like Hughes was last year after Slater returned.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Craig was asked about Drinkwater in press conference today ( video thereof is on Storm website ). He said an immediate release would only occur if we got someone appropriate in return, which is not currently the case.

Perhaps if they offer to swap Drinkwater with Taumalolo, Morgan, Hess or Jordy , we might be able to reluctantly let the kid go ! ( Clearly I am being facetious. No room in the cap for those players ! )
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

RobbieRoss wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:23 pm Craig was asked about Drinkwater in press conference today ( video thereof is on Storm website ). He said an immediate release would only occur if we got someone appropriate in return, which is not currently the case.

Perhaps if they offer to swap Drinkwater with Taumalolo, Morgan, Hess or Jordy , we might be able to reluctantly let the kid go ! ( Clearly I am being facetious. No room in the cap for those players ! )
I know it wouldn't happen but Javed Bowen would be a good exchange. I think he's the son of Matt?
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Itzbek the Purple wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:36 pm
RobbieRoss wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:23 pm Craig was asked about Drinkwater in press conference today ( video thereof is on Storm website ). He said an immediate release would only occur if we got someone appropriate in return, which is not currently the case.

I know it wouldn't happen but Javed Bowen would be a good exchange. I think he's the son of Matt?
Nephew.
And no, he's not half the player that his uncle was. I'd have Drinkwater over him in a heartbeat.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

blazza18 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:06 pm Tbf to Drinkwater he did beat out both those other 2 and was going to start the season. And he's good enough to warrant being in the side much like Hughes was last year after Slater returned.
What does 'tbf' have to do with it? It's not like Craig isn't picking him while he carves up the QRL. He's been back from injury 1 week.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lucas wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:39 pm
blazza18 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:06 pm Tbf to Drinkwater he did beat out both those other 2 and was going to start the season. And he's good enough to warrant being in the side much like Hughes was last year after Slater returned.
What does 'tbf' have to do with it? It's not like Craig isn't picking him while he carves up the QRL. He's been back from injury 1 week.
I dunno. Just seems strange that he's gone from playing round 1 to wanting out of the club mid season*.

*Allegedly of course.
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Which 'realistic' prop would be available? Jensen? Pere? Bayliss-Brow?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:23 pmCraig was asked about Drinkwater in press conference today ( video thereof is on Storm website ). He said an immediate release would only occur if we got someone appropriate in return, which is not currently the case.
Refreshingly honest answer by Craig. As we have seen with James Roberts, Maloney, virtually all players looking to move on mid-season, the coaches deflect and refuse to answer questions directly.

For once it was nice to get a straight answer, "He wants to go somewhere where he will play first grade. We can't let him go without getting something in return". Not a great situation for us to lose Drinkwater, but happy with the open and frank response.