2017 Grand Final: Storm Vs Cowboys

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just caught the replay after getting home... Some brilliant performances in that GF. Slater is a deserved CCM winner but I would have given it to Smith. Unbelievable how good this bloke is.

His kick pressure was as good as it has been in years. Really put the Cows kickers under pressure and made sure our back three had loads of time.

Cam's defence was also huge. Stopped Taumololo in his tracks numerous times, some stinging shots and kick chase was superb... 40 tackles, zero missed (although kick pressure obviously a factor in Martin's try) and a try assist to boot.

And his running game... Wow... More metres than Taumololo and second most of any forward in the game (behind Jesse).
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How was JAC not awarded an 8 point try for Feldt's feet first challenge when he scored his 2nd try?
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

SunshineCoastStormer wrote:Amazing win to cap an amazing year.

Clearly the no1 side this year and if anyone can grumble about penalties in the final it was us - Ceccin missed a stack of not squares and high shots but who cares.

Smith was the standout for me but in a team game I'm not really bothered. All 17 were brilliant.

Massive credit to Bellamy for building one heck of an Empire..

Best wishes to all the departing guys - Harris (also immense), Maclean, Griffin and The magical little fella Cronk. What a way to go out...
He also missed the shoulder charge on Billy by Winterstein just before Suli knocked on. Cronk taken out late after a kick... even Gus and Sterlo said it was a penalty FFS!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

tigerr wrote:Predictions please:

Will Cronk play on? Who for?

Will Slater play on? How many seasons?
If Cronk plays for a Sydney club I'm okay with it provided it isn't the Bullfilth.

Slater will play game 300, Origin at the MCG and retire at the end of 2018.
big_m
Squall
Squall

Been reading this board for a long time and wanted to chip in some thoughts after yesterday. Im from the uk but lived in melbourne from 2005 to 2010. Was a member at the old stadium and went to the grand final vs the eels.

Tohu: absolutely love this guy. Anyone think he will go back on his contract and stay? Lots of young guys on the left edge and even though he isnt old himself he gives us experience and tremendous ability in there.

Finucane: has become one of my favourite players in the team. Loved how he picked cam off the deck in the second half - properly scooped him off the floor when he must have been shattered himself.

Cronk: i reckon he will play on next year in sydney. As long as its not manly im not that fussed. Shame he couldnt have stayed in melb one more year as id back us to repeat if he stayed.

NAS: need to start upping his minutes a bit. He was only on for 20 in the GF and went for just under 100m. Defenses cant stop him.

Bill: sure he will go around next year. I was one of those early this season that was questioning whether he should be back but he proved me wrong 100%.

Telecast: the 9 team have gone from being clearly biased to a complete embarrassment for the sport. In the eels game you would have got a better call from drunk eels fans in the leagues club. If the NRL is serious about growing the game they need to end the amateur commentary.
tigerr
Squall
Squall

Does anyone know if Roy and HG did a broadcast on the final? Link?

Cheers
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How good was that? From the amount of purple at the airport Sunday morning and yesterday to the game itself.

I was standing after the game thinking about the Clive Churchill and had no idea who won. I was a little bit surprised that Billy won it. The good thing was any of about 5 or 6 players could have won it Smith, Harris, Munster, Addo-Carr, Chambers.

How well did Kaufusi play this year? His defence on Taumololo was important. Curtis Scott's defence was brilliant too.

Great to see Finucane get his premiership at his 4th attempt.

How about Slade Griffin? As soon as he stepped onto the field with about 11 minutes to go he was essentially a premiership player.
tigerr
Squall
Squall

Noticed Craig Bellamy sitting next to Slade on the victory stage and chatting to him. You can tell he really cares for the guy
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

After flying home last night... work today is a struggle!!!
I thought at half time my man Tohu was clearly best on ground. His second half wasn't as insanely good, but he certainly didn't go backwards. For me it was Smith, Harris and then a tie between Slater, Kafusi and Finucane. The fact we are discussing how many could have won it shows why we were the side we were this year.
What a ride! What a journey! What a game and what a Club we all love!
We've been honestly privileged with the run we've had, and to watch the big 3 set up that last try one last time was poetic. (How good was the ball from Tohu!!!!!!!!)

Spent yesterday afternoon in a bar on Darling Harbour drinking a few beers watching the replay with a Cowboys fan that happened to be on the table next to us - I love that we can do that in our sport!

UP THE MIGHTY STORM!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
tigerr
Squall
Squall

Disappointing article by Paul Kent in today's paper rubbishing suggestions that this is a great team.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Great article on smh site about the pre-game jersey presentation
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote:Just caught the replay after getting home... Some brilliant performances in that GF. Slater is a deserved CCM winner but I would have given it to Smith. Unbelievable how good this bloke is.

His kick pressure was as good as it has been in years. Really put the Cows kickers under pressure and made sure our back three had loads of time.

Cam's defence was also huge. Stopped Taumololo in his tracks numerous times, some stinging shots and kick chase was superb... 40 tackles, zero missed (although kick pressure obviously a factor in Martin's try) and a try assist to boot.

And his running game... Wow... More metres than Taumololo and second most of any forward in the game (behind Jesse).
Agree 100% yourhero. It's a shame that he couldn't add CCM to his impressive year which would include Dally M, SOO, Premiership and most likely World Cup. Very happy for Billy but I think Cam had the better individual performance on the day.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

tigerr wrote:Disappointing article by Paul Kent in today's paper rubbishing suggestions that this is a great team.
If you read it, he doesn't say it isn't a great team, just that in his opinion it's not the greatest. I disagree with his reasoning that greatness hinges on the number of internationals in your side though. He claims that Brisbane in 1998 with 11 internationals made them the greatest.

We have 11, probably soon to be 12 once Jordy and Munster plus probably Nelson play in the world cup so I don't get how he makes that point.
Slater (Aus), Vunivalu (Fiji), Chambers (Aus), Cronk (Aus), J.Bromwich (NZ), Smith (Aus), Kaufusi (Tonga), Harris (NZ), K.Bromwich (NZ)
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Really think having two of the all time best players trumps everything. And our third banana is not bad either.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

A shame David Kidwell wont pick Jesse due to his and Kevin Proctors' indiscretions after the Anzac Day test.