Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

bushman wrote:
By all means fell free to enlighten us because I can only coment on what we all see.
[/quote]

Its not my place to enlighten anyone about what's happening but I do think as fans, we assume a lot sometimes - and I wasn't having a go at you either....I thought you raised a lot of good points.

The club have top-notch training/ rehab facilities which the guys get to use (and pay for) and the Storm player/ support programmes both on and off the field would be as good as any in the country, even if it has been decimated a bit in the past couple of years. Every player remarks it is a privilege and great opportunity to play for Storm and be part of this system. A coach that knows his stuff and 3 of the elite players in the NRL to learn off…what could be better?

Unfortunately (like all clubs) there are priorities when it comes to retention and that of course spills over into what positions/ players are of most value to keep around. Can’t argue with that as the Storm has some of the greatest who have delivered, are still delivering! But it does mean others have to weigh up at which point the advantage scale starts to slip down the other side for them personally.

For some this might be about money - or at least having your next few years secured (rather than a promise in a year or two) and for some it might be about other things that are not always obvious to fans, or a combination of all. For some it might be the challenge of stepping outside the Storm system and building something new.

If you consider that the first thing Storm look for in a recruit is character it stands to reason to me that the ones leaving aren’t making decisions lightly, they are making values-based choices. The talk about what a player owes the club doesn’t take into account how much work a player does and what he sacrifices day in and day out to be part of it. Fair enough if you think they get more back than they give - at one time I thought so too.
A great coach like CB brings out what is already there and usually accepts that at some point it will be used elsewhere. When that time comes for a player there are a lot of things to consider, it’s a brave decision.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Well said Chip!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chip wrote:
bushman wrote:
By all means fell free to enlighten us because I can only coment on what we all see.
Its not my place to enlighten anyone about what's happening but I do think as fans, we assume a lot sometimes - and I wasn't having a go at you either....I thought you raised a lot of good points.

The club have top-notch training/ rehab facilities which the guys get to use (and pay for) and the Storm player/ support programmes both on and off the field would be as good as any in the country, even if it has been decimated a bit in the past couple of years. Every player remarks it is a privilege and great opportunity to play for Storm and be part of this system. A coach that knows his stuff and 3 of the elite players in the NRL to learn off…what could be better?

Unfortunately (like all clubs) there are priorities when it comes to retention and that of course spills over into what positions/ players are of most value to keep around. Can’t argue with that as the Storm has some of the greatest who have delivered, are still delivering! But it does mean others have to weigh up at which point the advantage scale starts to slip down the other side for them personally.

For some this might be about money - or at least having your next few years secured (rather than a promise in a year or two) and for some it might be about other things that are not always obvious to fans, or a combination of all. For some it might be the challenge of stepping outside the Storm system and building something new.

If you consider that the first thing Storm look for in a recruit is character it stands to reason to me that the ones leaving aren’t making decisions lightly, they are making values-based choices. The talk about what a player owes the club doesn’t take into account how much work a player does and what he sacrifices day in and day out to be part of it. Fair enough if you think they get more back than they give - at one time I thought so too.
A great coach like CB brings out what is already there and usually accepts that at some point it will be used elsewhere. When that time comes for a player there are a lot of things to consider, it’s a brave decision.[/quote]

Yep...get all that. Of course players have rights to do whatever they want to in their eyes

but Jordy Mac has been WELL looked after by the Club from a Member/supporter perspective.

I would have thought he might have repaid that faith to the Club with a higher degree of return loyalty.

Just my opinion.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote:
Chip wrote:
bushman wrote:

A great coach like CB brings out what is already there and usually accepts that at some point it will be used elsewhere. When that time comes for a player there are a lot of things to consider, it’s a brave decision.

Yep...get all that. Of course players have rights to do whatever they want to in their eyes

but Jordy Mac has been WELL looked after by the Club from a Member/supporter perspective.

I would have thought he might have repaid that faith to the Club with a higher degree of return loyalty.

Just my opinion.[/quote]

yes but members / supporters dont look after his young wife or 2 children under 3 at 2 am on a sat night when daddy is interstate or in nz ...maybe its the family aspect he is going for where her family is or his
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

surely you cant be serious.....
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I agree with sallymay here. There are a lot of things to consider when players choose where to play. They have a very limited time in the game so players do what they believe is best for them and their family. Family always comes first.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Deadpool wrote: They have a very limited time in the game .
That's exactly why they should stay with an exceptional Club like Storm.

Plenty of time for family after their exceptionally short careers are finished.

Just my opinion. Others won't agree. That's fine.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A quick browse on his instagram shows that he is all about fishing, being outdoors, going on his boat etc... things that scream Nrth QLD life. The dude just wants to be happy, close to his fam and play soome league.

Melbourne is drizzle and city life, probably not exactly his thing
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

nacho wrote:A quick browse on his instagram shows that he is all about fishing, being outdoors, going on his boat etc... things that scream Nrth QLD life. The dude just wants to be happy, close to his fam and play soome league.

Melbourne is drizzle and city life, probably not exactly his thing
His best mate will likely be Scott Bolton due to those interests.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

His best mate is Ben Hampton.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

In the Sydney papers we are set to resign Finucane, Welch and Kaufusi
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hope that's true
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

glennb wrote:In the Sydney papers we are set to resign Finucane, Welch and Kaufusi
Please don't yell at me it is "re-sign" not "resign" - my heart jumps into my mouth everytime I see it - I always think the worse
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Lachlan Timm likely to get a contract with his form for the Falcons.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

There is a few in the Falcons squad I'd give contracts too

Interesting to note Linc Port arrived in Melbourne yesterday and is training down here for the week...I wonder if that comes with a new contract as well