Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:Triple M are reporting that Proctor has been linked to the Titans despite having two years to run on his current deal.
This (from over a month ago) is now looking quite possible. Proctor has even commented on it himself saying that he is weighing up his options.

I appreciate all that Proctor has done in the purple jersey but think this is a good move. We overpaid for him at his last contract renewal. He should look after his family and we should use those funds to lock up some youth.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

More noise about him leaving. Only in the nrl can players be rumoured to be leaving for weeks and nothing be official. It really is a joke.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Official announcement from the club. Proctor is gone. Thanks for all the years in purple Proc.

Proctor to Return Home

Melbourne Storm has today granted Kevin Proctor a release from the final two years of his contract.

The Club has reluctantly agreed to release Proctor in order to allow him to relocate his young family back to the Gold Coast where he grew up.

The 27-year-old will join the Titans in an opportunity that will allow him to start building towards the end of his career and life after football.

He departs Melbourne as one of the Club’s greatest servants.

Proctor has played 179 games in the purple jersey, scoring 28 tries and developing a lethal right edge combination with halfback Cooper Cronk and centre Will Chambers.

The New Zealand International also sits sixth on Storm’s all time games played list after making his NRL debut in 2008.

Proctor played in Storm’s 2009 NYC Premiership as well as the 2012 NRL Premiership side, both alongside fellow Kiwi and great mate Jesse Bromwich.

The second rower brought intensity, desire and passion to every game he played for Melbourne over the past nine seasons. He has also played an instrumental role as part of the Club’s Emerging Leaders group.

The Club will now look to the likes of exciting youngsters Felise Kaufusi, Joe Stimson and Vincent Leuluai to fill the sizeable void.

Football Director Frank Ponissi said Proctor would be sorely missed at the Club.

“KP has been a massive part of our football club over the last nine years,” Ponissi said.

“He set an example for the rest of the playing group with his work ethic and relentless approach to seeing this Club succeed. He has been a mainstay of our line-up, having only missed 10 games since the start of 2011.

“KP is extremely popular with our staff and playing group and the influence he has had on our younger players will no doubt help them step in to fill his position within the team.

“While we would have loved to have seen him play the remainder of his career in the purple jersey, we understand the opportunity for both him and his young family to return home to the Gold Coast.

“We wish both Kevin, his partner Leesa and their daughters the best of luck for the next chapter of their lives, they will always be welcome here as a part of the Storm family.”

Proctor said he was thankful for all the Club had done for him.

“I’d like to thank Melbourne Storm for everything they’ve done for my family and I during my time at the Club, particularly Craig, the players and staff.

“A special thanks to the Storm members and fans, I’ve felt nothing but love from everyone since I played my first game.

“To leave Storm was an incredibly tough decision, I have some great memories and made some lifelong friends, my family and I are excited for what lies ahead.”
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

That is disappointing . I feel we could adequately cover for our other departures ( aside from Marieke ) but KP will leave a big hole. Do people think Joe Stimson might be the one to step up?
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not pissed off about KP leaving - but I am a bit sad about it. I remember him as a lanky kid on stage at the jim beam after party being pumped up as our first academy player or something. He has definitely served his time with us and has been incredibly reliable. Probably in the clubs best interest as well, to start blooding someone else - tough call to make for everyone.

Hopefully KP has absolute blinders with the Tits - except against us! He would know every detail about how cronk works on our right edge. Tits got a great pick up.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It'll be kenny i would have thought or nas
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agreed. I think Kenny will get first crack.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I like Kenny off the bench. I'd give Kaufusi a chance there.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How i think we'll run out in round 1:

1.slater
2.vunivalu
3.chambers
4.blair
5.tonumaipea
6.munster
7.cronk
8.j.bromwich
9.smith
10.mclean
11.k.bromwich
12.harris
13.finucane
14.welch
15.glasby
16.kaufusi
17.asofa-solomona
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I reckon that might be the lineup , Mattpoet. Assuming Billy comes up, I think the spots up for grabs are left wing ( maybe Curtis Scott will get the nod ahead of Young T ) and the last bench spot - will Craig opt for the big bench or inject a Hampton-like half/hooker ( Brodie Croft ? ) .
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If he goes the utility it may be griffin as he can defend the middle
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It seems silly to chase Hastings (who has massive problems) when Croft and Drinkwater are here, not too mention Jacks.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Exactly. Also, according to a few, he fails the "no dickheads policy" by some way... Not the club for someone looking to stroke their own ego.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kevin Locke just signed with the Falcons...6 degrees of separation with the storm
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Reports out today that Kearney is doing his best to lure Tohu to the Warriors. Tohu to make a decision before the NRL season kicks off.

Has to be our number 1 priority. He embodies everything that makes a great RL player...
- Hard working
- Consistent
- Respectful
- Puts the team first in everything he does

And on top of all that, is probably the most articulate NZ RL player I have ever heard from. He says all the right things, obviously understands the game and has picked up some wonderful attributes from Smithy.

Captain material. He's also one of my absolute favourite players and I'd be gutted if we lost him.