NSW Cup/QLD Cup 2013

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

www.melbournestorm.com.au
For the first time in seven years Easts returned from the Redcliffe peninsula with two competition points following a 24-10 upset over the Dolphins on Sunday afternoon.
The Tigers did it the hard way, coming back from a first half deficit to stun Redcliffe on their home turf and register their first win at Dolphin Oval since 2006.
The result even came as a slight surprise to Easts’ head coach Craig Ingebrigtsen.
“It being only round two, I wasn’t sure if we were quite ready to beat them at this point of the season,” he said after the match.
“But we just kept competing. They (Redcliffe) had a lot of ball and a lot of field position in the opening quarter of the match.
“We turned up on the inside in defence and were continually pressuring all day, so all the little things we worked on during the week, we executed really well today.”
However, the match wasn’t without controversy, with Dolphins halfback Luke Capewell sent from the field towards the end of the first half for an alleged elbow in a scuffle with Easts counterpart Todd Murphy.
Ahead 10-nil at the time, Capewell’s departure appeared to rattle the Dolphins – and they never really recovered.
Easts jagged a momentum-changing try in the 35th minute when winger Michael Thomas pounced on a cross field kick.
The Tigers then went on with the job in the second stanza with two quick strikes breaking the backs of the Dolphins.
Some quick hands from his inside men saw Eddie Tautali dive over in the left hand corner before fullback Corey Thompson got the reward for a sensational personal game with a try off an error from Redcliffe custodian Joe Bond.
Murphy then put his stamp on the game when he grubbered ahead and regathered under the sticks to give his side a 20-10 advantage midway through the second half.
Bond nearly pulled off what would have been a contender for try of the season – the fleet footed fullback weaved through defenders in a 90 metre kick return before eventually being dragged down by some determined Easts cover defence.
The Tigers then finished in style with Thompson putting boot to ball for Tautali’s double.
The Intrust Super Cup victory capped off an impressive day for the Tigers, with the club also claiming the FOGS Cup and Colts fixtures.
“To be honest, that’s the best aspect. As the first grade coach I’m really happy with my team but from a club perspective that’s the thing that pleases me the most,” Ingebrigtsen said.
Easts now travel to Ipswich next Sunday for a showdown in front of the Channel Nine television cameras, while Redcliffe host Tweed Heads, who went down to Wynnum Manly in a high-scoring encounter this round.
Easts Tigers - 24
Tries: Eddie Tautali 2, Corey Thompson, Michael Thomas, Todd Murphy
Goals: Todd Murphy 2
Redcliffe Dolphins - 10
Tries: Liam Georgetown, Luke Capewell
Goals: Liam Georgetown
A good win by Easts. They are on Channel Nine Brisbane on Sunday, which will be replayed on Fox Sports tomorrow week.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

nsw cup rd 4 team list
Sharks: 1. Ben Hampton 2. Alipate Ratini 3. Stewart Mills 4. Maurice Blair 5. Young Tonumaipea 6. Brett Finch 7. Chad Townsend 8. Tim Robinson 9. Pat Politoni 10. Jon Green 11. Kevin Proctor 12. Tupou Sopoaga 13. Tyrone Peachey
Interchange: 14. Rodney Coates 15. Kirisome Auva’a 16. Tony Gigot 17. Junior Roqica 22. Daniel Moroko 25. Penani Manumalealii
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well that's crap cause young got injured last week and is out for a month so he won't be playing
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

qld cup rd 3 team list

also this game is shown live at 2pm sunday on ch9 in qld only

Tigers: 1. Corey Thompson 2. Michael Thomas 3. Shane Neumann (c) 4. Eddie Tautali 5. Ryan Pooley 6. Grant Giess 7. Todd Murphy 8. Matt Zgrajewski 9. Tom Butterfield 10. Mitch Garbutt 11. Tim Glasby 12. Kenny Bromwich 13. Dane Hogan
Interchange: 14. Liam McDonald 15. Lance Morris 16. Leon Panapa 17. Isaac Kaufmann
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

our nsw cup team is also being shown live at 3pm saturday on foxsports 1
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mattystorm1987 wrote:qld cup rd 3 team list

also this game is shown live at 2pm sunday on ch9 in qld only

Tigers: 1. Corey Thompson 2. Michael Thomas 3. Shane Neumann (c) 4. Eddie Tautali 5. Ryan Pooley 6. Grant Giess 7. Todd Murphy 8. Matt Zgrajewski 9. Tom Butterfield 10. Mitch Garbutt 11. Tim Glasby 12. Kenny Bromwich 13. Dane Hogan
Interchange: 14. Liam McDonald 15. Lance Morris 16. Leon Panapa 17. Isaac Kaufmann
The Fox Sports TV Guide is showing the Qld Cup at 5pm today, so I assume this match will also be on Fox Sports next Wed.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Sisa Waqa is back! Taking Young T's spot on the wing. Hoping he is back in first grade soon, could easily take Duffie's spot.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

watching waqa in nsw cup right now, he has some passing skills, underrated aspect of his game imo
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Impressed with the Storm boys efforts. Finch is a class above and the others all looked good. Shame Hampton didn't get much playing time.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nice double by moors

final score cronulla 32 (moors 2, feki 2, mills, ratini tries, townsend 4/6 goals) def newtown 24

finch looked good as did waqa, blair and moors and auva'a showed nice glimpses. hampton lacked opportunities to shine.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Here is my take on how the Storm boys went in the NSW Cup game:

Sisa Waqa: Sisa gave what you expect from Sisa. A number of good runs early in the tackle count and two or three bone crunching tackles which forced Newtown backwards. As Mattpoet alluded to threw the last pass before a couple of Feki's tries. Something I was interested about was that Sisa played the first 30 minutes on the wing (no surprise there) and then played the last 50 minutes at centre. I don't remember Sisa making a mistake. His return can only be good for the Storm increasing competition in the outside backs.

Maurice Blair: Made three very good short side runs for line breaks. One which resulted in a try on the next tackle and one that should have. Blair also threw a beautiful inside ball to set up a Nathan Gardner line break. Played centre for the first 30 minutes then moved into the second row.

Brett Finch: Was a bit quiet in the first 20 or 25 minutes, after that his passing game was sensational. He put a number of players through gaps and set up one try on the last tackle where he threw the ball back down the short side after Sisa passed it from dummy half and a couple of passes later Sis put Feki over. Finch played the first 65 minutes at five eighth and the last 15 at hooker. Threw an awesome pass to help Junior Moors score his second. Finchy made one embarrassing mistake in the first half where he tried to trap a kick off wiht his foot and the ball bounced under his foot and went dead for a goal line dropout.

Junior Moors: Junior was very, very good. Made a number of barnstorming runs including a couple of good offloads. One of his offloads fortunately found Tim Robinson on the bounce and Moors wrapped around behind Robinson before scoring just wide of the sticks. His second try was a barnstorming run onto Finchy's pass from 5 or 10 metres out and barged his way over the line. He was solid in defence.

Kirisome Auva'a: Made two or three good runs and was solid in defence.

Ben Hampton: Unfortunately started on the bench and only came on with about 15 minutes to go. Limited opportunities.

Moving away from the Storm boys for a minute. How good was Alipate Ratini's try? The "other" Fijian winger had about a millimetre of space to work in about 20 metres out and he just flew down the sideline.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Great summary Scooter. I was really surprised at how well Bobby Blair looked. Would not look out of place in the centres atm. Finch is Finch and was all class. Moors also really impressive. Also can't believe Sisa is back already. Great bloody news.

Really bummed that Hampton didn't get much of a run.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

i only caught the last 30 mins of the game while i was at work. but blair and moors stood out to me, moors must really want to get back into storm side and when he does i hope he plays with that aggression and confidence.
finch also showed his class and utility value, i dont know why he is still in NSW cup unless its a fitness issue so he is match fit during origin time and then goes to the bench for the rest of the year
sisa looked good for a first run, but you could tell he was looking after his hand in defense. he will be ready to go in 2-3 weeks
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Garbutt with some lazy defence leading to Ipswich's first try.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

garbutt is playing big minutes but is rubbish today, wait just smashed someone in defense.
glasby was very strong early on, but havent noticed him for a while now
k brom has done a couple of good things but i expect him to star at this level and isnt, he should play lock IMO