hostplus coming back to sponsor again....

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

well they had to wait until this year, if they'd jumped back on board last year, giddyup would've said they were supporting terrorism
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I kind of expected this. I figured something was up when the Host Plus CEO was at last year's season launch. I guess it was only a matter of time before they returned as a sponsor. I'm okay with it. I can understand based on their industry why they would have wanted to distance themselves in the first place. It was, however, disappointing that they walked within the first 24 hours. You'd think the long history between the Storm and Host Plus would have meant something - they could have at least taken a few weeks to evaluate their position. If after that time they still wanted to discontinue their sponsorship - fine. At least it wouldn't have been a knee-jerk reaction.

Returning as the coaches sponsor is an odd one, though. We've never had that before, but I guess it's more of a common thing in the AFL. It could work out quite well for us - plus, it leaves more options for other potential sponsors in the future. I wonder how much a deal like that is worth. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this deal is just a way for Host Plus to ease their way back into the club. I imagine the fans and members would be much more negative had Host Plus returned as back sponsor straight away. If we don't fill that position this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see Host Plus add that to their sponsorship package. Hopefully by then, by-gones will be by-gones and the fans will be more accepting. I like the Host Plus logo, anyway. Fits well with our branding.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if it was ME Bank coming back instead of Host Plus. Worse, I bet.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What is Jaycos role this year? Still back of shorts?

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

LESStar58 wrote:What is Jaycos role this year? Still back of shorts?
Don't know about Jayco, although I presume they are still on the shorts (they have been for years). I want to know what's happening with the back sponsor, I remember the Storm went through the whole season without one and then Harvey Norman jumped on board during the finals. Are they going to be on the back of jerseys this year?
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Harvey Norman were only on the back of the jersey for the finals. From 2012 onwards, they'll be on the back of the shorts (white text on a red background). Jayco are gone completely. My guess is that we won't see them back until News Limited sell the club.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't expect News to sell us for at least 5 years. Part of the deal for them moving out of the way to get the IC established is a survival package for the club. There has got to be some sort of ulterior motive here. The only names that have been brandied about as buyers are Maher and Ryan and their relationship with News is strained.

Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Bourbon Rat wrote:Never saw a 'financial institution' that wasn't even more lying - underhanded & bent than Wally ever was.

You want to kiss their ass - fine ::)

Count me out
Same here.

I'd rather a sponsor that is loyal to the club than one that bails in a knee jerk reaction.

Knee jerk reaction? Perhaps Hostplus and ME Bank should sponsor David Gallop.

lima lima lima duck sponsors, I'm going cleanskin in 2012.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Hostplus = Fair Weather friends,always nice to get sponsors..but they need to show some loyalty to the club an bad times as well as good ones!!
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Noticed that Energywatch has sponsored the "Melbourne" teams in different football codes (Demons, Victory, Rebels).
Wondering if this mobb will be on the back of the 2012 jersey?
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I keep seeing Billy's Suzuki ads. I wonder if they'll consider upgrading their sponsorship from sleeve to back of jersey one day...

absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

MENACING*STORM wrote:Noticed that Energywatch has sponsored the "Melbourne" teams in different football codes (Demons, Victory, Rebels).
Wondering if this mobb will be on the back of the 2012 jersey?
I had the same thought. Although, with the insane amount of money they're spending on the Demons (if I remember correctly, their deal is worth $2m a year for three years), I was surprised they could afford to sign on as the major sponsor of Victory, too - and even more surprised when they signed on with the Rebels (although, that's only a sleeve sponsorship). If they wanted to hit as many different sports and audiences as possible, it would only make sense to get into league as well.

I'd be very surprised if we got a back sponsor during the season. If we don't have one now, I don't see it happening. That might be for the best, though. I think if we perform well this year, we'll be in an even stronger position to negotiate a better deal in time for 2013. I'm sure the club is thinking that way, too. I think it's interesting to note that despite saying that they wanted to sponsor a Melbourne sports team, Bank of Melbourne still haven't signed any deals (at least to my knowledge).

The thing about Suzuki is that their logo is seen whether you're seeing the front or back of a player. Despite being a smaller position, I always think of the sleeve as being worth as much if not more than the back. I think the real upgrade for Suzuki would be moving to the front - and their logo would look great there. Since the club had to announce Crown's renewal for 2012, I'm guessing they're on some kind of year-to-year deal (or one year with the option for a second). Suzuki have been such a great supporter - do you think they'd ever move up?

Some clubs are moving the jersey manufacturer to the shoulder and putting a small sponsor below the collar. I wonder if we'll ever do that. I know it sucks having more and more sponsors on a jersey, but for the right price and the right sponsor, it could work quite well for us.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Given the season we had last year finishing MP and one game from the GF i'm very surprised we haven't picked up a back sponsor and didn't we'd have to wait another season to prove our "worth" so to speak. While i understand anything can happen, history shows a Craig Bellamy team doesn't just have an off season form wise like many teams do and if we can stay relatively healthy i don't think there's any doubt whatsoever we'll be right up there in the top few challenging for the title so it would've been a perfect opportunity for a sponsor to get on board.

IMO injuries will be the only thing that could stop that from happening so hopefully a sponsor wises up sooner rather than later and realizes what a smart move it would be to have their name plastered on the back of our jerseys come GF day ;)