phil gould v david gallop

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Tigger wrote: Who'd a thunk Gus would turn out to be such a bloody great champion of Storm??

I now have totally changed my opinion and have the utmost respect for him and would like to say "Thanks Gus, Melbourne appreciates your support"
I'm thinking 'Gus' is more a champion of Rugby League & what is best for it's expansion & long term future.He doesn't have the bean counter mentality of Gallop or the Super League war hangover.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Temi
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Just rewatched this video, and my word, this man echoes the same sentiments that I do!

1. Where is the incentive to breed your own talent? You make them who they are, only to lose them to NRL clubs with more room in their cap, or overseas codes altogether?! Doesn't seem fair to me!

2. To provide clubs an incentive to breed talent (rather than poach it like SOME clubs - i.e. Broncos/Bulldogs), a certain percentage of the salaries of players who have debuted in first grade for the team should be omitted from the cap. Either that, or ALL third party deals, whether negotiated by the club or not should be omitted! $4.1 million for 25 players simply is not enough!

3. A 'marquee player' system should be adopted, in a similar fashion to A-league. Here is a good article to read regarding this proposal.

We are weeding out our talent by forcing them to different codes or overseas, not spreading the talent amongst the league. Until the narrow-minded attitudes of Gallop and co are rectified, this great game (and hence our great club) will continue to disintegrate.
Joe_Storm_FB_2025
Squall
Squall

Temi wrote: Unfortunately I can't give you a direct link, but here is a link to the league videos on WWOS:

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/video.aspx?tab=4

The caption of the video is "Salary cap works: Gallop". Scroll down a bit and look on the right hand side, there will be a link.

Great video. Gould is basically summing up everything the Storm fans are feeling right now.

Gallop is an absolute turd!
fkn awesome.

But what about the Tandies, Lowreis and other no-names that are, in part, the back bone of the team
[quote="billythekidslater"]
Yeah I am a troll. [/quote]
PurpleBlooded
Squall
Squall

Gallop has lost touch with the game & i agree with everything Gus said.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tigger wrote: Who'd a thunk Gus would turn out to be such a bloody great champion of Storm??

I now have totally changed my opinion and have the utmost respect for him and would like to say "Thanks Gus, Melbourne appreciates your support"
I didn't like Gus for a while but about 5 years ago was when I started to warm to him. First and foremost he truely is a rugby league fan and a very passionate one at that. I think he is one of these people that thanks God (whatever God he considers significant anyhow) that he is fortunate to be in the position his is in with the game he loves. Player, coach and now commentator. If I got to spend all my life involved in my passion and make it my livelihood then I'd count myself very lucky!

This is not the first time Gallop and Gould have had a publically heated debate. When SBW farked off in 2008 they had an interview on Triple M MNF and Gould took Gallop to task. That Thursday Gallop was going to be on TFS to discuss SBW and the producers hooked Gould from that evening's panel.

From an article last year when Khunt went to AFL;

The NRL is a partnership between the decaying and ineffective ARL and a media company, News Ltd, whose publications and journalists attack people within the game and the code itself with such unbridled vindictiveness, unfairness and ferocity that it belies any suggestion they even remotely act in the best interests of rugby league.

Says a lot don't it?

For someone who is a lawyer by qualification Gallop doesn't seem good at making counter points to people's arguments. Its almost as if he's being cross examined in the witness box.
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]