lets move 3 home games nexst year to telstra dome

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
clock off
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Why just 3 games at docklands. I reckon move them all there!
All the crap about how bad it was doesnt stack up against the numbers.
On the old site Buzz had the crowd figures for each game. Except for the first "return to the graveyard" game, we then lost 5,000 spectatators by returning to OP. Olympic Park is sh*t for the spectator; cant get in, cant get a beer, cant go to the toilet, and cant dry your hands to finish up. Olympic park managment is sh*t, and hasnt improved over the years. I wont go through the boring anaecdotes that we all know.

Then, even if all those problems are fixed, that wont improve the Olympic Park precinct. Unless youre really dedicated, who wants to go there when there will be 60,000 at the MCG for some Gayfl match. What about all the other things  that are on at Rod Laver or whatever. Unfortunately, theyre going to put the new stadium right in this precinct.
To me, it seems insane.

A lot of Storm fans are attached to OP because we've had such a good time there. If you want to be comfortable, if you want bigger crowds , we should look elsewhere.
Last edited by clock off on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEvislish
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

routy21 wrote: What about round 1 next season against the broncos at Telstra Dome..?? Massive grudge match. No AFL and no A-League to compete with.  Promote the crap out of it, draw 30,000 plus and start the 2007 season on a awesome note on and off the field.…………...just a thought.
round 1 broncos v cowboys @ suncorp. cronulla has a better chance of winning a preimership than that match being changed
lotti

yeah but as the premiers the Broncos can choose who they play.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Docklands is the worst stadium to watch a game of League in this country and would cost the club big time. The difference between A-League going there is that Docklands doesn't have a summer tenant so it's a good for both parties. AFL dictate the winter schedule for the Docklands.

In 2001 we lost a lot of people who use to come to the games because of the crap venue and we would again if we went back there for a couple of reason.
1 reason would be most of our games would be on Monday night as Docklands wouldn't want our games on a Saturday considering the AFL want most Friday night games at Docklands the second reason would be as has already been posted. The venue is shithouse for the fans in every aspect.

The new stadium looks like it will be close to if not better than Suncorp Stadium from a fans point of view and being close to public transport and freeway exit/entry points makes it a better place to everyone.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
clock off
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I cant find the numbers & graphs Buzz had on the previous site, but from memory I don't think that they verify your assertions Stormwarning.
I reckon that we had a bigger loss of crowd numbers returning to OP from Docklands. A loss of about 4,000 to 5,000 I reckon.

The viewing wasnt bad the one time they moved the seats in (at a cost of $30,000!), but the mechanism has now seized & they cant be moved!

The Gayfl dictating the dates was a blessing in disguise, no clashes, therefore we got in those who like watching the other game. Those Monday night games suited lots of people. I might be mistaken, but didnt we get nearly 15,000 for Good Friday game forced on us by the other code ?

Anyway, it's all rhetoric, we'll be going to Brack's Castle and that's the end of it. 
Last edited by clock off on Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

clock off - I'm waiting for some time to integrate these features back into the website. The information you're after tho is currently wrapped here: index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=35

Not up to date beyond half way through 2005 tho. Summer project.
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

clock off wrote: I cant find the numbers & graphs Buzz had on the previous site, but from memory I don't think that they verify your assertions Stormwarning.
I reckon that we had a bigger loss of crowd numbers returning to OP from Docklands. A loss of about 4,000 to 5,000 I reckon.
We lost both supporters and members in both moves, that is fact. Those that whined about moving back to O.P. mostly hadn't been there in the first two years in the first place. You always can't just say it was because of the move back to O.P. because we were going through a bit of crap on the field as well, which didn't help the figures at all.
The viewing wasnt bad the one time they moved the seats in (at a cost of $30,000!), but the mechanism has now seized & they cant be moved!
One game out of how many...also there is NOTHING wrong with the mechanism as we will all see over the coming months with 3 games of between codes (League and Football) proposed to have the seats moved in and agreed on by Docklands management.

It was a cost thing and an AFL whine that stop the stadium management from doing it again.
The Gayfl dictating the dates was a blessing in disguise, no clashes, therefore we got in those who like watching the other game. Those Monday night games suited lots of people. I might be mistaken, but didnt we get nearly 15,000 for Good Friday game forced on us by the other code ?
The Monday night crowds were the lowest (from memory) for all our games under the roof, as people would prefer to watch it on Foxsports and that way those with kids could still have them in bed by 9.30 or so.

On the Good Friday game, League has always had games on this day for years so it had nothing to do with the AFL.

From the corporate point of venue you got extra people there from the medillion club because it didn't cost them anything to attend so if you take those figures out the crowds were....well, about the same.

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

From my point of view, if games were to be played at TD i would seriously consider not going. And this is coming from someone who has missed 1 home game since mid 98.

Veiwing is horrible.

I go to games to watch a brilliant Rugby League game, not to look at ant-like figures in the distance or watch it on a big screen, if i wanted to do that i would stay at home.

But hey, thats just my opinion.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/DaniStorm/Dani07a.jpg[/img]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

That Good Friday game was 12,489 (Storm vs Eagles - we thumped em!).
the lock8
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I agree with storm warning. I don't recall anyone who actually said they liked the dome, and the atmosphere was non existant. I like Olympic Park if only for the atmosphere and definitely want to stay there until the new stadium is built or crowds force us to do otherwise.
clock off
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Buzz, maybe that thumping has something to do with my positive memories of it!

:lol:
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I think as the current premiers Brisbane automatically geta home game in round 1 as do we. If I am wrong and thats not the case seeing there will be no AFL and A league how many people do you think we could get to the dome for round 1

my guesss 35,000
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It would depend on a number of factors there Mikey.

Things like who we play, date of game and weather would all play a part in the crowd numbers for the game but I don't think it would be 35,000.

I know a lot of people liked playing under the roof, and that is there right.

Other code supporters that we took never went back coz they thought it was the wrong place to play the game. Some of those have now become members of the club because they can enjoy the game atmosphere.

Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

yeh if we played Brisbane I;m talking about. If the victory can get 39,000 then why can't we???
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Because most of that 39,000 booked their tickets early thinking they would be seeing one Dwight Yorke. Who the week before quit the comp and moved to the UK.

A little different.

Also you have to remember that Football unlike Rugby League is loved by people from the UK, Europeans and South Americans so people from those backgrounds are going to be more likely to go watch the Victory against Sydney FC than watching Storm.

Have a look at crowd figures for A-League at the moment and apart from Victory crowd figures are down on last year for all other clubs.

I would love it if they would, but being realistic I can't see it happening for a while. We have to build and work to a sustainable growth and learn from the mistakes done after our Grand Final win.