Round 4 - Brisbane vs Melbourne Fri 29/03 7:05pm at Suncorp

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

he missed (admittedly badly) two from the sideline, then went 4/4 after that, hard to be too critical
mahoobla
Squall
Squall

That was my first game ar Suncorp Stadium and all I can say is WOW! So much Storm support. A real experience.

With us playing the Tigers next week and the Rabbitohs facing the bottom placed Warriors, our Round 6 clash against the Rabbitohs is shaping up to be a cracker with potentially the only two unbeaten teams going head to head. I can't wait!
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I don't think cams goal kicking is letting us down...he's one of the better kickers around. That said I'm partial to see gaz be the number one kick taker - I'm sure he can get the job done, and I think it'd be good for him to have more responsibility on the field (might bring out the best of him). That, and to me it looks like cam is tired...i don't mean that in a bad way - just take a bit of pressure off him, and he too may shine even brighter!

I must reiterate...bellamy knows best - I'm sure no stone has been (or ever will be) left unturned during the quest for success!

Also...we want sisa! (clapclap - clapclapclap)
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I have to agree with you Kingy.I would love to see GW kicking for goal more so Cammy can rest up during the game. Cammy has been my fave player from his very first game for Storm so I will never knock him.He is the most awesome captain in the NRL..
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea I agree too. Cam can make some important kicks but these days kicking 75% isn't great. And the point of him looking tired is a good one. Gaz might relish the opportunity and responsibility of kicking goals.
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

well judging by the criticism he's getting it seams Matt Duffie is the new Anthony Quinn!!!
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

coupy73 wrote:well judging by the criticism he's getting it seams Matt Duffie is the new Anthony Quinn!!!
Quinney ran straight and hard at the opposition line. No comparison.

Oh yeah, Duffie's awesome under a high ball.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

coupy73 wrote:well judging by the criticism he's getting it seams Matt Duffie is the new Anthony Quinn!!!
That's a bit harsh, Quinny had his moments but was by and large, when available, fairly solid. ;)

Everyone's throwing blame here, there and everywhere, largely at Chambers and Duffie. I'll admit to NOT being a Duffie fan, and, running in field to defend is a highly risky proposition, get it right and it's bouquets, get it wrong and it's brickbats. Timing is everything and Duffie hasn't quite got it (running in). Better off holding your position and forcing the passes through the hands and (hopefully) increasing the chance of error by the attacking side. At least the Duffman didn't have any loose carries this game.
Very hard to criticize the centre and wing when the rest of the team has not slid across, each of those tries were scored when the ball was shifted quickly from one side to the other. Even superman (Slater) couldn't get across in cover which shows how quickly (and well) the ball was moved by the Bronc's.

Bring on the Tiggers
Position - Left right out or hung out to dry
Blotto
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Smith's goal kicking is fine and as good as anyone else over a season, Cronk's kicking game was a bit ordinary at times during the match, It was good of the Broncos to expose and exploit the right side defence of Storms, but as Bellyache said post match, lack of training time and some residual fatigue probably contributed to it! Other Teams would have gone under after that barrage, so its credit to Storm that their attack is still the most lethal in the comp and could come back from behind! and they are still playing below par, 2-3 more games should see the Team playing it should!
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

LOL :)

I think Coupy means that Quinny copped a lot of criticism on here at times too!!! Some fair, some not so.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Blotto wrote:Smith's goal kicking is fine and as good as anyone else over a season!
No it really isn't. He kicked 69% last year. That is not good enough imo.
Blotto
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

blazza18 wrote:
Blotto wrote:Smith's goal kicking is fine and as good as anyone else over a season!
No it really isn't. He kicked 69% last year. That is not good enough imo.
Well I'm sure you will point it out to him & Bellyache, and then they will insist on Cam doing a lot more practice. While important its less of a problem with the attack Storm has at present. Cams leadership and getting the Team moving round the field while letting Cronk call the shots is the more important part of his game! He also seemed to be carrying a hip injury from the start of the game and that may have been part of the problem with the first two kicks!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Is it so hard to be critical of anything the Storm do ? We can't keep relying on scoring 5-6 tries a game. And I'm not saying Cam doesn't work hard on his kicking or doesn't come up big in moments when he needs to. But his goal kicking isn't his strongest asset. All I want to put across is maybe it would be better for him and the team to let Widdop take over.
Blotto
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

The problem is All or Most Coach's don't wish to have more than one main kicker during a match, a backup kicker is always expected to slot in, in the event of said main kicker being injured or rested during the match! I think perhaps the call especially when a Team is comfortably ahead the backup kicker should be allowed more onfield kicks at goal! There is also the psychology of if the main kicker is having an off day to immediately replace him with a backup, is not going to solve the problem and only a very short term solution with no guarantees of success
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

waveydavey wrote:
LOL :)

I think Coupy means that Quinny copped a lot of criticism on here at times too!!! Some fair, some not so.
Exactly Davey. I was a big fan of Quinny, i don't think anybody could doubt his effort whilst in a Storm jersey. According to many on this forum every try scored on his wing was his fault. Looks like Duffie is getting the same treatment.
By that thought every try scored under the post must be Cam Smiths fault or one of the props.

Playershave good games players have bad games, players have different skills. If Duffie was the best defensive winger in the league but didn't score tries we'd be calling for him to be dropped