Finch loves new home

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Finch loves new home with Storm
Herald Sun
Monday, June 22, 2009
MELBOURNE Storm five-eighth Brett Finch may stay at the club for the minimum wage.

Finch loves the Storm so much he's contemplating staying on a minimum contract
Finch, 27, crossed to Storm from Parramatta this year.
He was paid more than $300,000 a year at the Eels and knew Storm's tight salary cap meant he could not get close to that in Melbourne.
He earns as little as $50,000 with Storm but loves it so much that he could shun a likely flood of big offers from Britain and other NRL clubs.
He has even thought about a job outside Storm to supplement his football income.
Finch said he liked the idea of playing with a team that could win a flag or two.
"Opportunities to play in football teams like this don't come around too often," he said. "I am still looking to Britain and the NRL, too.
"But (staying) is definitely an option. The more and more I play with the guys and the more we win the more it grows as an option to stay.
"I am really enjoying Melbourne, and it would be hard to walk away."
Finch said he would not rush into a decision, but hoped something could be finalised within a month.
Melbourne has the money it had reserved for departing centre Joseph Tomane, but may prefer to spend it on the centre or two it needs to replace Tomane and Will Chambers who is also leaving.
At best, Melbourne has about $100,000 to offer Finch.
Finch has the support of his teammates, particularly Ryan Hoffman, who has greatly benefited from the five-eighth's presence.
"We'd definitely love him to stay," Hoffman said.
"He's a great bloke and he has become a really good friend really quickly and a part of the Storm.
"Hopefully he can stay but we know he has to do the best thing for him.
"The salary cap may not help us out. It's very much a Catch-22.
"He has mentioned that he wants to stay, but it is his job, and he has to look after himself."
its an encouraging sign and good to hear it from finchy, hope the club can work something out with him
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Temi
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It would be great if he stayed - but it is doubtful.

Finch is not the sort of player to attract third-party deals, and as such, it is unlikely Storm will be able to offer him all that much more.

$100k a year isn't a bad salary in comparison with every-day jobs, but when you consider the fact that he only has three to five good years left in him - who knows what he'll do?

We can only hope :)
Bullets
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Even if he does get pushed out at the end of all this its still great to hear this from players.....that he would even consider staying on minimum wage because of his love for the club.

can we find money anywhere to keep him? we need to do something
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/Yeungy01/Stormcopy.jpg[/img]
http://s13.zetaboards.com/The_Colosseum/index/ - The Colosseum - Arena of Entertainment
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

You can see that he is enjoying his footy on the field...he is usually the first one in to congratulate a try scorer and is very excited when we do something good on the field. He has totally changed my perception of him....im glad he is at the club and hope he can stay. We need to find money for him and Sika to stay longer.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Bullets
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yeh we need to sign Sika up for life
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/Yeungy01/Stormcopy.jpg[/img]
http://s13.zetaboards.com/The_Colosseum/index/ - The Colosseum - Arena of Entertainment
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Bullets wrote: Even if he does get pushed out at the end of all this its still great to hear this from players.....that he would even consider staying on minimum wage because of his love for the club.

can we find money anywhere to keep him? we need to do something
Agree with your post. 
It was a great read.  He's been terrific  for the club and I would love him to stay.

The only thing I could think of is 3rd party agreements as someone said above...
Times like this I wish there wasn't a salary cap in rugby league :D
Temi
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

CooperCronk wrote: The only thing I could think of is 3rd party agreements as someone said above...
Times like this I wish there wasn't a salary cap in rugby league :D
I think the Salary Cap is important to level out the talent distribution amongst clubs, but either the cap needs to be set higher, or the rules have to change regarding marquee players.

Finch obviously wouldn't be a marquee player, but if the salary of say, GI or Billy or Cam Smith or possibly even Cronk was considered to be external to the cap, it would certainly open the doors.

Every single team that has found a period of sustained success in the modern NRL, has found it difficult to retain the talent they have helped nurture.

I think that during the offseason, the Cap as well as the interpretation and implementation of the rules needs to be seriously reviewed by Gallop and his colleagues.
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

Super Cronk wrote: You can see that he is enjoying his footy on the field...he is usually the first one in to congratulate a try scorer and is very excited when we do something good on the field. He has totally changed my perception of him....im glad he is at the club and hope he can stay. We need to find money for him and Sika to stay longer.
Cooper Cronk (2013), Billy Slater (2013), Cameron Smith (2012), Greg Inglis (2012), Ryan Hoffman (2012), Dallas Johnson (2011), Jeff Lima (2011), Adam Blair (2011), Anthony Quinn (2011), Kevin Proctor (2011) and Sika Manu (2011) have all penned long-term deals along with NSW Origin prop Brett White (2010).

Sika is right until the end of 2011.  No need to worry yet.
Ahhh McGahan; you've done it agahan....
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

He needs to be signed for life as bullets said.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yep after he signed with us and the reading all articles posted about him, i've really changed my perception on Finch as well. I hope he could stay and it's great he can say something like that about the club after only a few months being here. Onya Finchy!

And in regards to Sika, yessss please I'd watch him til hes 50 if I could. lol (maybe)
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Where does it leave us if Finch isn't signed? It leaves us in the same position as we were in before he arrived, in need of a 5/8.
And a new 5/8 of a half decent standard will cost money. I don't know how the club structures its use of the salary cap money but
surely it can find $150k, an amount that Finch may consider to stay here for...
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

which might be where the club needs to take a punt on an unknown number 6... like a Luke Kelly from U20s.  Or, don't be surprised if Tamata comes back still given the right situation
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]