dont play tomane again

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

I think people are being very hard on Joe.  Lets look at how things have transpired;

- Joe signed a 3 year development contract with the Storm as a 17 year old for around $2,500 that he thought would help his family with school fees.  The first year he was still to attend school and then move to Melbourne.
- After the first year he approached the Storm about getting out of the contract as he did not want to leave Qld.  Offered to pay back any money he had already recieved.  Storm enforced the contract and threatened (nicely of course) that if was to play any where it was with Melbourne.
- Joe moved to Melbourne to honour the contract.  He left his family, girlfriend and no baby in Qld to fulfil his obligation.
- Over the course of his time in Melbourne communicated how hard it was being here and away from his family.
- Honoured his contract as required and choose to sign with the Titans.  Storm actually thought he would go to Union to move back home.  Yes, he didn't give the Storm a chance to make an offer but 1. he didnt have to 2. he was always going to go home.

Look back on the discussion of Steve Turner and peoples response to the Titans trying to make him honour his contract.  Joe honoured his contract and signed elsewhere.  We might not like it as he choose to leave the club we barrack for but I see nothing wrong with what he did other than ethically he could have been more up front with the club about the Titans offer as I believe he was with the Union contact.
Ahhh McGahan; you've done it agahan....
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

that's the issue I think most people have - Bellamy included going by his article.  He wasn't up front, and that's the whole difference between him leaving with peoples blessing and the negative sentiment around at the moment IMO.  I understand fully why he may have wanted to leave, but he should have manned up and told the club straight up
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
your kettle is black
Squall
Squall

steaming stormer wrote: He wasn't up front, and that's the whole difference between him leaving with peoples blessing and the negative sentiment around at the moment IMO.  I understand fully why he may have wanted to leave, but he should have manned up and told the club straight up

He did man up and tell the club straight up, it just wasn't what the coach and fans wanted to hear.
This will happen time and time again at every club.
Steve Turner is an excellent example of karma if you want to look at it that way.
What he did was actually break a contract, after accepting an offer, which in my eyes is a whole lot worse than signing on at another club without giving your current club (who have spent ALOT of their cap) an opportunity to lodge a counter offer of comparable value (because this is an unfortunate example of the salary cap at work) because they can't.

If the info bootsie16 gave is accurate, Tomane MORE than fulfilled any contractual obligation.

As for searle slipping a contract in while he was signing autographs, that's a great idea.
I'm getting into player management!
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

well bellyache played him last week....so he cant be to cut about it....
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote: that's the issue I think most people have - Bellamy included going by his article.  He wasn't up front, and that's the whole difference between him leaving with peoples blessing and the negative sentiment around at the moment IMO.  I understand fully why he may have wanted to leave, but he should have manned up and told the club straight up
Spot on.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I dont care if his staying or going. But since he is going Id drop him.

If Anthony Quinn had of been in the side the last 2 weeks he would have scored 4 tries as well as stopped Simpson scoring his second.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

your kettle is black wrote:
steaming stormer wrote: He wasn't up front, and that's the whole difference between him leaving with peoples blessing and the negative sentiment around at the moment IMO.  I understand fully why he may have wanted to leave, but he should have manned up and told the club straight up

He did man up and tell the club straight up, it just wasn't what the coach and fans wanted to hear.
This will happen time and time again at every club.
Steve Turner is an excellent example of karma if you want to look at it that way.
What he did was actually break a contract, after accepting an offer, which in my eyes is a whole lot worse than signing on at another club without giving your current club (who have spent ALOT of their cap) an opportunity to lodge a counter offer of comparable value (because this is an unfortunate example of the salary cap at work) because they can't.

This is where we'll have to agree to disagree - being called into the offices because the coach had heard rumours he'd already signed with Gold Coast where he decides to fess up is not manning up and being up front IMO. 
Anyway, he's played 10 games or whatever it is, I think we're wasting too much forum space on someone who may go on to be a nobody... we'll never know what may have happened with him down here, so sit back and watch the kids future.  Good luck to him
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
clock off
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'd like to see Joe score a last minute, winning try in the 2009 Grand Final.

Off topic, it's Aaaon Moule's 32nd birthday tomorrow.
Happy Birthday Aaron & thanks for 99!