Storm Michael Crocker

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

wenjo wrote: If Crocker  doesn't end up playing in the UK.
Would it be in Storm's best interests to offer Crocker a non playing role at the club if he does retire? Surely his experience would be an advantage around the club?

Wenjo
I hope so. A mentoring role for the young blokes like Proctor and Manu would be great for everyone involved!
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]
gothestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I see Mick is still training with the team. Why don't we play him on a "payment per match" type basis.

We need some Mongrel back in our forward pack!  8)
estormboy
Squall
Squall

Looks like Crocker will be going to play at Hull after all ......

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 31,00.html

After initially being refused a visa to play with Super League club Hull, Michael Crocker had some good news this week when the British Sports Minister said he would intervene on behalf of the former Melbourne, Queensland and Australia forward.

Although no explanation was given, it is believed Crocker's initial application was rejected because of a previous conviction for affray.

The British Government's clamp-down on visas also resulted in former Cronulla forward Greg Bird being denied an opportunity to play for Bradford. Bird is now with French club Catalans.

While Bird was forced to look elsewhere, Crocker has refused to countenance anything other than playing for Hull despite interest from several NRL clubs.

His determination looks likely to be rewarded thanks to British Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe.

"I am happy for the club if they want to get in touch with me to do so and I will speak to the relevant minister," Sutcliffe told the Hull Daily Mail.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
pauliedude
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

estormboy wrote: Looks like Crocker will be going to play at Hull after all ......

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 31,00.html

After initially being refused a visa to play with Super League club Hull, Michael Crocker had some good news this week when the British Sports Minister said he would intervene on behalf of the former Melbourne, Queensland and Australia forward.

Although no explanation was given, it is believed Crocker's initial application was rejected because of a previous conviction for affray.

The British Government's clamp-down on visas also resulted in former Cronulla forward Greg Bird being denied an opportunity to play for Bradford. Bird is now with French club Catalans.

While Bird was forced to look elsewhere, Crocker has refused to countenance anything other than playing for Hull despite interest from several NRL clubs.

His determination looks likely to be rewarded thanks to British Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe.

"I am happy for the club if they want to get in touch with me to do so and I will speak to the relevant minister," Sutcliffe told the Hull Daily Mail.

But hasnt Hull already moved on. I am happy for crocker if it goes ahead. Although I guess he shouldnt have put him self in this messs to begin with.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Michael Crocker set to join Souths
By Andrew Webster | May 05, 2009  The Daily Telegraph
THIS is the cold, hard proof that stranded back-rower Michael Crocker is on the verge of signing with South Sydney.
As club sources insisted an announcement was "imminent", The Daily Telegraph can today reveal a private email to Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson from sponsor McGrath Estate Agents outlining a lucrative third-party offer to Crocker.

The agreement is almost identical to the one involving Craig Wing that has fallen apart and has the Souths star sniffing out alternative deals elsewhere. As revealed in the email sent from McGrath sales manager Stuart Rutherford to Richardson last Friday, Crocker will earn $25,000 a year and has the potential to make more if he attracts new clients.

He would work one day a week - a part of the deal Wing failed to satisfy under the terms of his agreement with McGrath.

Crocker's potential third-party agreement comes on top of a three-year offer, believed to be worth more than $200,000 a season.

While mystified that The Daily Telegraph had obtained the email, Richardson confirmed the external arrangement was part of the offer to Crocker.

"We're definitely chasing Michael Crocker - and we hope we're in with a real chance," Richardson said last night. "Michael has a genuine interest in going into real estate, and we contacted some companies we're associated with - not just McGrath - on his behalf.

"But rumours that it's a done deal are off the mark. I wish it was."

Crocker is still sweating on an appeal to the UK Home Office, which has blocked him from taking up a lucrative three-year deal worth almost $1 million with Hull after he was convicted of affray in 2006.

He has been living in Melbourne and training with his former Storm teammates, and Hull officials are privately resigned to the fact he will not join them.

The Warriors were the only other serious contender for Crocker's signature but it is believed the move to New Zealand was an ocean too far for his partner. If Crocker is to stay in the NRL, he must sign before June 30 - although Souths officials want the deal done as soon as this week.

"We haven't started negotiations with any NRL clubs," Crocker's manager Andrew Purcell said last night. "He is still confident of going to England."

Asked about the third-party agreement with McGrath, Purcell replied after a long pause: "It's all very exciting . . . who told you that? Whoever did, can you ask them to ring me?"

Richardson insisted any deal with Crocker did not hinge on the club releasing Wing, who is struggling financially after losing $600,000 in a Vanuatu property investment gone sour. Souths have room to move under their cap after releasing winger Shannon Hegarty.

"This has nothing to do with Craig Wing whatsoever," Richardson said. "We want Wingy to play for South Sydney for as long as possible."
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wont be happy if this goes through, after all he was released from his contract a year early so that he could get a long term contract overseas.

And it's a little concerning about clubs relying on all these 3rd party deals to secure a player when most for the 'high profile' players in Sydney have fallen through
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Stormwarning[c] wrote: Wont be happy if this goes through, after all he was released from his contract a year early so that he could get a long term contract overseas.

And it's a little concerning about clubs relying on all these 3rd party deals to secure a player when most for the 'high profile' players in Sydney have fallen through
Remind me again how many years Melbourne Storm got kicked in the gut because 3rd party deals they were locked into put them over the salary cap ?
I guess the rules change when you head North of Albury  :roll:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
CJ09
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I think if he is available then the storm should definitely sign him to an off field role. There is no doubt he could provide some great input with his large amount of experience. 
singlemalt
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

CJ09 wrote: I think if he is available then the storm should definitely sign him to an off field role. There is no doubt he could provide some great input with his large amount of experience. 
Why would he take an off field role when he still has so much to give on field - remember, he was on a million dollar deal to go to Britan, if the Bunnies have $200,000 a year to give him then he has to go... simple as that. Unfortunatly our wallet is empty.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

alot of people have experience but its a matter weather he can coach them the skills that he has.

its like teaching, you might be really smart, but that doesnt mean you can teach people

i dont think an off field role would suit crocks
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Temi
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

If I were Bellamy, and I released a star forward a year early for the sole purpose of chasing a lucrative overseas offer, I'd be pretty pissed if he ended up signing for another NRL club. He could have been playing for us this whole time.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Bourbon Rat wrote:
Stormwarning[c] wrote: Wont be happy if this goes through, after all he was released from his contract a year early so that he could get a long term contract overseas.

Remind me again how many years Melbourne Storm got kicked in the gut because 3rd party deals they were locked into put them over the salary cap ?
I guess the rules change when you head North of Albury  :roll:
Exactly, besides that I thought Crocker said that his body could not withstand the rigors or nrl any more.