Cam to 5/8? What do you think?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 14,00.html

What does everyone think about this?  I think Ryan Hinchcliffe would have to be outstanding at hooker in the trials and early rounds for this to be a certainty.  He would have big shoes to fill stepping into the role filled by the best player in the world for the last 2 - 3 years!
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I trust Craig Bellamy will do what's right by the team.  If that means Cam to 5/8th, then so be it.
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

hmm it is a big risk to move the once worlds greatest player into a differnt position, but if that means giving one of the worlds best centres room to move then it might just be worth it.

id say that the coaches will play cam at 5/8th against the broncos next week. i wouldnt chuck cam at hooker next week, see how hinchy goes with a full game
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I seriously doubt he'd do it full-time. I think he's just keeping the rest of the NRL coaches guessing. OF course its not rare for Cam to go to 5/8, he did plenty of that in 06 & 07. Hinchliffe gives us the option of doing that more. Particulary when Bellamy said Ryan would be wasted only getting 10-15 min a game.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Too slow, cant break the line. Too good a dummy half to move. Moving Cam would mean a not so good five eight and a not so good hooker!
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
coopergirl
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

i think its a wonderful idea and i have every confidence in the craig & his coaching staff that they will do the right thing by the team. why not try something outside the square????????
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't really care what we try this year, as long as we try something!!

Last year we were so predictable, and as good a team that we had, our defense was the only thing keeping us in games at times.  I'm kind of glad that we don't have Issy this year, as it will force us to try something other than 5 attempts at breaking through the line followed by a chip or bomb to Issy...
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cam played all his junior football at number 6.  It was not until he came to Melbourne and we needed a replacement for Richard Swain that he first went into the number 9.  It was Craig Bellamey's idea back then, and he became the best hooker in the game.  Craig's ideas are usally good for the team.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

I really like the idea of Cam at hooker...but if hinchcliffe can show that he has a top notch kicking game and can do the job at dummy half then i think we give it a go...cams kicking and passing game are first class and we could use that in the 5/8 role. But with that being said im not sure dramatic changes is the way to go...we have done well the past few years...we need to change up our attack a little bit...but not change to much postion wise...i know we have lost players but those spots can be spilled.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

cam and ryan hinchcliffe were the last players out after the trial
my guess is they were chatting about what they did in the trial i actully think it will work for this year till we get arana back next year
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Anything that releases GI to the centres has my stamp of approval, but moving Cam away from hooker? Not so sure about this. Robbing Peter to Paul I reckon.
2012 premiers. Legit.
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I doubt very much  you will see Cam run out with  6 on his back, well not straight away  in the start of the season, perhaps later on if it is a success,

What I do think you will see at the start,  is Hinchcliffe starting on the bench,  Cam wearing 9,  playing his normal role,

Hinchcliffe coming off the bench as a pinch hitter at dummy half, when a foward gets rested,

Cam shifting into the halfs, Inglis moves to the centes, Quinn into the back row, with perhaps the centre moving wider if Quinn is on the wing, every one on the left side moves out one,

Try it in passages of play ,  to see how it goes,

I think it is a smart move, provides some variety. We used to do something similiar with friend and Aubussun coming off  the bench.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Considering the media crap we copped last season about Storm's 'boring & predictable' style of play I think a bit of 'Now you see me here - Now you see me there' positional work during the game will confuse our enemy no end  :P
I say try it now whilst the season is fresh & give everyone a chance to build flexible partnerships.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ok fair enough, throw Cam in there. Hinchcliffe could be the money man this year. If the team can perfect the whole rotation in games that will give us an advantage, not that we need one.
I hope all this talk on Inglis isnt just hype.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote: ]I hope all this talk on Inglis isnt just hype.
If what I saw on Sat. is any indication, its not. I thought he treated the Knights with contempt in defence and attack, and in todays RLW Cory Paterson and Hoffy both said it was basically a man agaisnt boys out there. I cant ephasis how much bigger he is this year.

And your right what you said in the other thread, Issy will find it hard to able to hadle GI combo of size & speed. Heres some links which may give you some idea.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/84958 ... ages-Sport

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/84970 ... ages-Sport

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/84870 ... ages-Sport