Press conference called for Wednesday

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sure is a relief. but i cant help but think about the drama we will have when it comes to re-signing billy.

im sure our cap has taken an absoloute belting and he'd be looking at getting half of what he could be getting in union or from other countries.

im sure theyl figure something out , and good on cam. i agree with what he said during the press conference that he is a loyal man, and its good that hes signing, what may be his last contract, with us
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

won't be his last... he'll only be 29 when it runs out.  One more to go at least
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Honestly. out of the core/key players we have ie: Cronk, Smith, Inglis and Slater...i think Billy would be the easiest to re-sign...he seems to really love Melbourne, club and the state. His girlfriend is from Victoria yeah? So thats a good sign for us. I think he will obviously ask for, and the way he is going (form wise), deserves a fair chunk of change...nothing to outrageous but i highly doubt Billy will go to union or will leave the country especially after his girlfriend just gave birth this year, his contract expires the end of 2010...so she will only be around 2-3 years old...i know i wouldnt move over-seas in those circumstances.

Also i see Billy developing into a leader, maybe not be our captain, but he is very vocal on the field has gained plenty of experince in first grade and at rep level and can see the storm maybe using that as a carrot to dangle in front of him to get him to stay.

In the end i will be extremely surprised if Billy left for another club...and even more surprised if he left for union especially over-seas. cannot see it happening IMO.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
STORM 2007
Squall
Squall

Out of everyone that has resigned Cam is the most important. Without him i always think our attack looks disjointed and his a real leader that carries the team so well. If we'd have lost him i could see why some people would have felt our period of dominance would be over, but with him, Cooper, Greg and Billy staying the nucleus remains and we have enough talent to get our crown back.  :D
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

STORM 2007 wrote: Out of everyone that has resigned Cam is the most important. Without him i always think our attack looks disjointed and his a real leader that carries the team so well. If we'd have lost him i could see why some people would have felt our period of dominance would be over, but with him, Cooper, Greg and Billy staying the nucleus remains and we have enough talent to get our crown back.  :D
storm 2007, not only our attack relys on him but our defence is where cam really shines with 30+ tackles a game. we miss him so much when hes out for rep footy, i couldnt imagine what it would be like without him for good!
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Temi
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Super Cronk wrote: His girlfriend is from Victoria yeah?
I thought his girlfriend is from Innisfail also, she just moved down to Melbourne to be with Billy. But you're right, he does seem to love it here, and why wouldn't you? Other than being away from family (which is probably not such a big deal considering he has started his own family now), you're out of the media spotlight, you're playing for a successful club that seems to really take care of its players, and you're living in the undisputed sporting capital of Australia.

Ultimately, it comes down to the money Storm can offer him, versus other offers, and how much of an impact his family has.
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I cant see Billy leaving - mainly because if you look at the others it has not come down to $$, for most (like DJ, Coops etc) its the chance to be coached by the best one going around, play for a club that looks after players, away from the distractions of the Sydney scene. All the juniors we have brought through have stayed around, if you look its the external players who we sign and then leave  - kidwell, crocker, smith as they have less attachment to the club  having played elsewhere. Being brought through as a junior is important - look at the Tigers, Farrah has resigned where he could have earned more at the titans.

Billy also isnt like Izzy being homesick - if you look at what he did he drove himself down to Brisbane for a trial - that someone who is determined to be a sucess.
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
"Fortune favours the brave, stand tall Storm your time is now. Go hard, go Storm!! "
pauliedude
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

storm_rhinos wrote: I cant see Billy leaving - mainly because if you look at the others it has not come down to $$, for most (like DJ, Coops etc) its the chance to be coached by the best one going around, play for a club that looks after players, away from the distractions of the Sydney scene. All the juniors we have brought through have stayed around, if you look its the external players who we sign and then leave  - kidwell, crocker, smith as they have less attachment to the club  having played elsewhere. Being brought through as a junior is important - look at the Tigers, Farrah has resigned where he could have earned more at the titans.

Billy also isnt like Izzy being homesick - if you look at what he did he drove himself down to Brisbane for a trial - that someone who is determined to be a sucess.

Also, you gotta look at the fact that there are alot of good fullbacks in other teams, none better than Billy of course, so all of a sudden the choice of teams suddenly diminishes. unless of course he is willing to change posies. If it was to be closer to family well that leaves only 2 teams to choose, forget SL or european rugby, and I think thats a bullshite excuse for a player anyway, unless the players quite young like Issy is.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

In 2007 Izzy said he wanted to stay in Melb. and play with the Storm...so what happened.?  :o Got the article in my scrapbook.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

CooperCronk wrote: In 2007 Izzy said he wanted to stay in Melb. and play with the Storm...so what happened.?  :o Got the article in my scrapbook.
Izzy's parents told him to come home to QLD - with Izzy's upbringing and religion, his decision was not really his decision.  Billy will be able to make up his own mind.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Insomniac wrote:
CooperCronk wrote: In 2007 Izzy said he wanted to stay in Melb. and play with the Storm...so what happened.?  :o Got the article in my scrapbook.
Izzy's parents told him to come home to QLD - with Izzy's upbringing and religion, his decision was not really his decision.  Billy will be able to make up his own mind.
That's what I thought.  I read an article in the Sun that same year that his brother was talking to the Courier Mail and telling them he is a Broncos supporter and wants to play for them and come home....hell....he's not a baby...but I guess their religion etc. had a big influence on him...but it made Izzy look like a liar...and Izzy is able to speak for himself...surely.
Didgi
Squall
Squall

Cowboys = Matt Bowen, Titans = Preston Campbell, really not much of an opening to return home even if he wanted to.
[color=#0000FF]COW[/color][color=#FFFF40]BOYS[/color]
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

gold coast is as much my home as Billy's - the only thing in common with Innisfail is that its its in the same state, besides that its still best part of 11500km away - hardly home. Townsville is his only 'home' town team and thats a few hours away
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
"Fortune favours the brave, stand tall Storm your time is now. Go hard, go Storm!! "