GF excuses

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

KimmorleyKiller wrote: It's tough to post to be honest, that game robbed me of my soul.
but you managed to post  ;-) As for your ' soul ' have you ever noticed my signature ?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
STORM 2007
Squall
Squall

Plenty of excuses  ;D. Firstly the origin period where players like Jamie Lyon refused to take part in so he could remain with Manly. Cam Smith's suspension which in my mind was probably correct yet why was action not taken on the countless other decisions in the comp. Losing him was a massive blow as it destroyed any shape we had as a team which forced us to play conservative and as a result get massacred in the GF. Also our season was so much longer then Manly's and as a result they were fresher then us whereas we were running on empty.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Here's my excuse for Storm not winning - Manly scored and we didn't!! That is all!   8)

Life goes on, I've already forgotten much if not all of the game (was I really there?) the after party with my fellow Storm supporters was great, no tears and much talk of next year! 

Bring on 2009!!!  ;D
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Grass was cut to short, made them run faster and we could get a grip....on anything on the night.....

Oh, it was just a pre-season game wasn't it ;) so it didn't really count.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bullets wrote:
Play the ball wrote: yeah I agree, no excuses,

We probably in the end became victims of our own success, not an excuse , just a realistic viewpoint IMO.

Origin hurt us , teams hunt you down more when you are the bench mark side,

We peaked earlier in the year and limped into the finals, and in hindsight we probably did well to make the GF.

Not our year, shit happens.
When did we actually peak? i don't remember us really playing outstanding at any stage. Most games we were not great but just did our usual play average and win.
Well perhaps we did'nt quite peak but there were stages that we were the best team in the comp I thought

Some stage just before Origin, and when we beat Manly at brookvale ,

Around  those two stages I thought we are number 1 and we are building , and we should go back to back ,

Even if we were not great, i still thought we looked better than the rest , particularly when we beat Manly at their home ground, they were building for that game for a while , it meant alot to them to win at that stage.
Last edited by Play the ball on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

...it still hurts  :icon_frown:
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
STORM 2007
Squall
Squall

Its annoying more than anything. All that work to get their and now we have to start all over again. Am getting over it then i think about what happened and theirs still disappointment their. Izzie, Mick and Boofa deserved a better send off then that. However theirs no point dwelling on what happened.

GO STORM IN 2009
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

No excuses, just reasons....

They held onto the ball, we didn't.
They stayed calm, we didn't.
They had a plan and kept to it, we didn't.
Their tackles stuck, ours didn't.
They played with energy and passion, (with the exception of Billy and a couple of others) we didn't.
We gave up, they didn't.

They were not 40 points better than us, and I am appalled the boys let it blow out.
We were never going to come back after 45 minutes, but the last 20 was just a train wreck.
Last edited by TC on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

GF excuses?

Why make excuses? I'm damn glad we made it to another grand final, remember the feeling in 2001 & 2002 when we didn't even make the top 8? That was devestating, plus made it hard to stay interested in the finals series.

Or the feeling in 2000 when we got bundled out week 1? Then there were the build ups to the finals in 2003, 2004 & 2005 when we won week one but lost week two.
KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No excuses for 40-nil.

Except for the curtain raisers. DID YOU KNOW, both openers in 06 also went to golden point? True fact.

I agree with Surandy though, getting mauled by the dogs in 04 hurt just as much.
[quote="Buzz"]
I really have to say that the only way that Boofa played at that kick from Orford was if he cracked a fat.
[/quote]

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/KimmorleyKiller/TheT
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

*shrugs shoulders* the nature & scale of this defeat kind of negates the depression/anger felt in 2006.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Yeah being Boofs last game makes it worse.

NOTAMEXICAN
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

No excuses, except maybe a little arrogant or cocky, melbourne thought all they had to do was go out there and play the same way they do every week, try and put the opposition off their game, but it didn't work. manly did a melbourne on melbourne and they got flogged. storm have to learn how to take it not just dish it.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

NOTAMEXICAN wrote: No excuses, except maybe a little arrogant or cocky, melbourne thought all they had to do was go out there and play the same way they do every week, try and put the opposition off their game, but it didn't work. manly did a melbourne on melbourne and they got flogged. storm have to learn how to take it not just dish it.
who do you support champ?

stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

NOTAMEXICAN wrote: No excuses, except maybe a little arrogant or cocky, melbourne thought all they had to do was go out there and play the same way they do every week, try and put the opposition off their game, but it didn't work. manly did a melbourne on melbourne and they got flogged. storm have to learn how to take it not just dish it.
I never once thought that STORM were cocky or arrogant.I am so proud of STORM and the season they had.no other team can claim they had a more successful season.Minor premiers 3 years in a row,9-10 players in soo,plus coach.so we lost in the GF. It was easier to take losing 2008 than 2006 where we were reffed out of the GF.manly did a 2007 version of STORM in this years GF.I will be supporting STORM loudly and proudly again next season.