Storm vs Warriors March 17th

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

There's an article in the Pulse section of todays HS about Webber and how he's mates with Craig Bellamy. He used to be a ball boy fro Canberra when Bellamy was playing there and they caught up in the rooms after the game.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

simo wrote: It was a great game to watch as a spectator, but as a Storm fan you can pick abit more at some things but still a good game for round 1.

Ive heard some say they werent impressed with Aitken in this game, I disagree. I dont think he was spectacular but I

thought he showed some really good potential, he played well.

Lima was fantastic, I was worried about the Gap that Cross would leave, but Lima filled it well tonight, hopefully he can keep those performances consistent. Many strong runs.

Billy and Cam - brilliant as usual

Issy's run that set up Sam T was superb. Issy is one big freakin boy... I really hope he stays with Melbourne.

Dallas played well and Chambers was solid also.

Agree with all you said. All the forwards, except White where good. And dont fret if Issy decides to to shaft us, from what I saw we have a ready made replacement in Joaseph Tomane. Another Storm youngster headed for the very top.
Silkin Storm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Nacho I also was one of the people you were disgusted in.

I have 2 kids having school photo's today & both are primary school.
MY 6 yr old has already been giving me hassles this morning due to being up 2 hours after bed time.

another 1/2 hour or more last night would have made it worse.

Get a grip this always happens on a Monday night game and why I hate them.

As for the atmosphere it wasn't to bad where we were sitting but the venue is shocking for it to be infectious. & we lacked cohesion with the chanting.
Don't Leave it to Fate
She's a Fickle Bitch
VIC
Squall
Squall

Congratulations to the Melbourne Storm for attracting a wonderful crowd of 20,000 people on a stinking hot Monday night.

In today's Age / SMH, reporter, Richard Hinds comments about Melbourne's failure to embrace a champion team. To be quite frank this is bullshit, and I wonder whether the intent of this article was more of a behind the scenes shot from the Fairfax owned newspapers of The Age / SMH against News Limited (owners of the Melbourne Storm). But anyway here are the facts:-

- There was just over 20,000 people at Telstra Dome last night. The game was held on a Monday night under heat wave conditions.

- Round 1 crowds were as follows:-
Manly v Cronulla - 15,000*
Newcastle v Canberra - 17,000
Tigers v Saints - 18,000*
Parrmatta v Canterbury - 25,000*
Souths v Roosters - 29,000*
Brisbane v Penrith - 31,000
Gold Coast v NQ Cowboys - 27,000

From the above, it is clear that the Storm attracted a larger crowd than three other matches. It is worth noting that of the above matches, 4 games (Yes 4 games) were between Sydney teams, meaning that there are supporters from two clubs attending the match, and thereby pushing crowd figures. This will, of course, always be a disadvantage for Melbourne because of it's geographic position.

- Melbourne rugby league crowds have grown markedly in the last couple of years - helped by the team's solid performance in the last couple of years. This rate of growth could have been a lot stronger if three things were present:-

a) Channel 9 does done NOTHING to lift the profile of rugby league in Victoria. Friday night games still aren't screened at a decent time! In fact, not even Sunday afternoon games are shown on Victorian television - which would not impact prime time TV ratings!

b) The NRL has alot to answer for in being negligent when it renewed Channel 9's TV contract by not considering broadcast rights to emerging markets.

c) Melbourne still does not have a suitable rectangular rugby league ground. The model rugby league grounds out there are Suncorp in Brisbane and Skilled Stadium at the Gold Coast. In 2010, we will fortunately have our own too, but for the time being we just need to tolerate the sub-standard Olympic Park.

The reality is - rugby league is growing in Melbourne and that is a fact. We are very fortunate that we have had an excellent team in the last couple of years that have allowed the code to grow in Melbourne. And once the above points are addressed in time, rugby league will continue to grow exponentially - but you cannot change the AFL culture present in this city that has existed for 150 years. We have only been here 10 years, and with our continued presence and investment in Melbourne, over the years we will become a real presence down here. Look at the Swans in Sydney - it's taken them 26 years, and only now are they averaging crowds of 25,000 people!!!!

It just pisses me off hearing all those cyncics out there who just want to belittle all the acheivements that the Storm has made in the past ten years. Maybe they should have a better look at the problems that many of the Sydney rugby clubs are facing at the moment - in terms of crowds and financial vaibility!
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Pretty good game really. They served it up to us in the 1st half. The way to beat us to to throw the ball around and they did that. Opened up a few gaops in our usually rock-solid defence. Having said that, throwing the thing around always opens you up to leaking points.
They tired badly in the 2nd half which was to be expected. It's been hot here during the past fortnight and our guys were more acclimatised to it. Their big packs were always going to struggle. They needed to score the 1st try after half time to get in front and give them the self belief. It was not to be.
Full credit to the Warriors. They stuck at it, but were just overwhelmed.
We are still going to be a very good side this year. We will lose a few (SOO will sort us out more than it did last year) and we miss King on one side. Folau had little impact and probbaly needs King on the other in the aerial duels to take some pressure off him. Looked out of position. Did one breathtake piece of play that everyone knows about. I guess that's what you have to accept with Folau. Can go missing for 79 minutes, but comes up with something like that.
Slater - gun, superstar, champion.
All in all I thought 20k was a good crowd considering the weather - geez it was hot.
A few injuries this year and we're probably brought back with the pack more so than last year. If we stay relatively full strength then there won't be a side that will stop us. Shove GI and Crock back into that line-up and it's still the best roster in the NRL.
Should be another entertaining season.
Gee I love my Melbourne Storm.
2012 premiers. Legit.
erpel9999
Squall
Squall

as posted by "me" in the other "20,084" thread
erpel9999 wrote: Now i'm pissed off

quote page 88 herald sun 18/3/08 - no link

"But the figure finally gave an answer to a question as old as Storm itself.

Given their moment in the sun, could the men in in purple generate a crowd the nation's best league team deserves?

Even with the planets aligning - an AFL-free weekend, a brilliant night with an open roof and the premiership trophy doing a pre-match lap of honour - the short answer, finally, is no"

FFS - it was a MONDAY night which sucks for attendances - and always will.
It was not a brilliant night, it was 35degrees at kick off, thats just f*---- hot.
It was our 3rd best home and away attendance EVER

It is throwaway comments like this that are read by non league fans, that will stick in their minds if they are thinking of attending a game.
"should i go? no i wont bother because they cant pull a crowd"

thanks muppet

:cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

how big is my weekend going to be? again....
[url=http://userbars.org][img]http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4459/stormfanbf6.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://userbarmaker.com/][img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6094/751172770404iy8.png[/img][/url]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The atmosphere at the Dome is always crap!  The stadium is a sterile TV studio, and I've been there with 50k at an AFL game (dragged along! :lol:), and still don't think it has atmosphere.
Get me back to Olympic Park!!
As for the crowd - I thought it was a good number.  Took one mate along with me and wanted to get a reserved area ticket and it was sold out!  Not happy though as we then thought we'll just get a reserved seat and I'll upgrade my membership only to be told no upgrades either - not sure if we just got a bloke who didn't have a clue what he was doing!

Solid opening round game I thought - Slater is a gun.  Last year he was outstanding and looks like he's picked up where he left off.
Lima was very good again, and I like the look of Tagatese this year too.
Thought Cronk controlled the game pretty well.  Would like to see the game again to see about Aitken in attack, but I loved his defence - a few really solid low tackles in our own 10-15m area.  

Just hoping Hoffy's rib damage isn't too bad!
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
grey sub
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

IMO i thought Cronk was great and Aitken did well you could see that he is trying to find his feet in the team but he is prepared to take the ball to the line and more importantly hang on to the damn thing... anyway happy with the win as the Warriors are a team that always have me concerned even on their bad days I think that the throwing of offloads can cause a lot of damage to any side....
I am back again.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

ok, ok, ok i was going hard on the supporters but i felt embarrassed for the team really, like come doing a lap to 1/20th of the supporters that went to the matcha and  having GI and crocker talk at the after party to like 20 people. there was more players than supporters at one stage.

i take back the word 'disgusted' and replace it with 'dissapointed' i wasnt in the best of moods when i got home

also about the easter sunday game its a difficult timeslot if some families have an easter lunch
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

the 3 o'clock start is a bit better than a 2 o'clock start.  Really, there's no way around it. Someone has to play sunday.  We'll still get 10k minimum
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

nacho wrote: i am disgusted at the amount of people that left before the victory lap and the presentation of the trophy, shit house effort its the least we could do after the boys put on a great show.
Well, excuse me, I'd been there for four hours, the game was running late, the trains and trams were going to be packed if I stuck around, and I had to be in the city at 7:45am sharp this morning.

Besides, after being f_cked over at last year's GF being refused entry to the after party because I stuck around for the lap of honour, I'm insulted at the insinuation that not sticking around for the lap makes one less of a fan.
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
Andy
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Nacho.  I'm sure most of us have forgiven you.  ;)
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Nacho, for future reference, it would be wise that you don't EVER question the commitment people have to the club on here again without a damn good reason.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/DaniStorm/Dani07a.jpg[/img]
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yeah I left early and its no one's freakin business as to why I did..

Im not explaining myself to anyone..I do what I freakin want.

word!..lol
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

nacho wrote: i am disgusted at the amount of people that left before the victory lap and the presentation of the trophy, shit house effort its the least we could do after the boys put on a great show.

then the afterparty, shit crowd, no one near the stage listening to the band or robbo and kearns, everyone in the back on the piss and shitty mic's

i honestly hope that storm fans find there voice and haul there ass over the the afterparty

ALSO WHATS WITH AN EASTER SUNDAY GAME FFS!!! have fun with a crowd topping 4k
I stayed & got home at 11:30pm - My alarm went of FOR WORK at 4am.My brother,who also stayed,normally starts work at midnight.He had to take a day off,(with loss of earnings) so he could attend the game.

Maybe you should consider what adults & parents do before shooting off your mouth schoolie  :twisted:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields