grapples.

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

rugby is a collison sport they have to learn to deal with the occasional grapple.
im happy that parker isnt as one-eyed as petero and bennete
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

nacho I wouldn't say either of those pics show a grapple tackle.  The first one is maybe a bit high but you'd need to see the video of it to see where it starts off.  The second one no way.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

jellyhead wrote: nacho I wouldn't say either of those pics show a grapple tackle.  The first one is maybe a bit high but you'd need to see the video of it to see where it starts off.  The second one no way.
Actually reading statements in the press from Gallop it sounds like they now consider the definition of a "grapple tackle" has changed to include those pics shown by Nacho.

Obviously the Storm weren't getting penalised enough under the original definition because, surprise surprise, we don't do them any more frequently than other clubs as has been shown by previous crackdowns on "grapple tackles".

The contact that shits me more than those tackles is where players push themselves off the tackled player using their face or neck. That involves a lot more pressure on the face/neck region than a "grapple tackle".
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Just want to add, who was Bellamy's coaching mentor for years?  ;-)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/DaniStorm/Dani07a.jpg[/img]
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surandy wrote:
jellyhead wrote: nacho I wouldn't say either of those pics show a grapple tackle.  The first one is maybe a bit high but you'd need to see the video of it to see where it starts off.  The second one no way.
Actually reading statements in the press from Gallop it sounds like they now consider the definition of a "grapple tackle" has changed to include those pics shown by Nacho.

Obviously the Storm weren't getting penalised enough under the original definition because, surprise surprise, we don't do them any more frequently than other clubs as has been shown by previous crackdowns on "grapple tackles".

The contact that shits me more than those tackles is where players push themselves off the tackled player using their face or neck. That involves a lot more pressure on the face/neck region than a "grapple tackle".
yeah also thats what started that little scuffle in the panthers vs cowboys match
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

this article is from the ABC (Tuesday, May 3, 2005.)
doesnt tell u all that much, just proves that storm have been targeted for over 4 years

Grapple tackle a non-issue: Bellamy

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy says he is unaware of new concerns over the grapple tackle after Sharks prop Jason Stevens said he was left "gasping for air" after being tackled on Saturday night.

Stevens was left lying on the pitch after being tackled by the Storm's Cameron Smith and Alex Chan.

The grapple tackle is one where a player is immobilised by grabbing him around the head or neck.

The Storm was accused of using the tactic two years ago, but Bellamy said he did not believe the National Rugby League had an issue with his team's behaviour.

"If we've got a problem with anything in our game, as far as giving away penalties or we're pushing the edge somewhere, I always hear from [referees director] Robert Finch," he said.

"And I haven't heard from Robert Finch about our grapple tackle and I haven't heard from [match review committee co-ordinator] Greg McCallum so I don't see that we've got a problem there."

Stevens' claims were investigated by the match review committee but no Storm players were charged over the incident.
evilc
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Grapple tackles, head high tackles should be deemed any tackle that is higher than the ball being carried, then and only then can anyone complain. The ref's and linesmen must be uniform in their call of head high tackles and if that rule was adopted there would be no debate from anyone.
evilc
mb09
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Wonder how Bellamy's friendship with Bennett is these days
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

mb09 wrote: Wonder how Bellamy's friendship with Bennett is these days
can't be great.

The pics of grapples in the Australian showed storm player grappling while the pics in the HS showed the Broncs's grapples.

The whole things is a beat up to sell papers and cost the Storm momentum.
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hey Bennett..................Don't look now but YOUR BOSS is doing a quick back pedal
Cullen conceded his own players could be guilty of the offence but said players were sick of the tactic and wanted it stopped.

"Let's not get too cute about it because we got penalised for one on Sunday," he said.

"This is a game thing, it's not an anti-Storm thing, it's just something we want to see out of the game.

"If you talk to the players who've experienced it, they don't like it.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

bourbon_rat wrote: Hey Bennett..................Don't look now but YOUR BOSS is doing a quick back pedal
Cullen conceded his own players could be guilty of the offence but said players were sick of the tactic and wanted it stopped.

"Let's not get too cute about it because we got penalised for one on Sunday," he said.

"This is a game thing, it's not an anti-Storm thing, it's just something we want to see out of the game.

Where'd that quote come from?
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
lotti

From here:
Keep focus on original grapple: Cullen
Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 7:06 PM

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen has warned the NRL not to lose focus of the traditional grapple tackle after introducing rules to punish the new "crusher" technique.

NRL judiciary chairman Greg Woods revised directions in relation to what is considered a grapple tackle after several incidents in the spiteful Melbourne - Brisbane clash last Sunday.

While a grapple tackle places direct pressure with an arm on the head or neck, the "crusher" technique recently detected involves using the body to apply pressure on the head or spinal region.

Woods has amended the judiciary guidelines to be able to punish such tackles from this weekend onwards.

But Broncos boss Cullen remains upset several Storm tackles went unpunished from their heated game.

He says there were traditional grapple tackles in the game and reminded the NRL suspending players is the best deterrent for the illegal techniques.

"I'm pleased they're doing something but disappointed they haven't put more emphasis on the original grapple tackle which we still see happening every weekend," said Cullen.

"It's a new style of head tackle I suppose, I wouldn't even call it a grapple tackle.

"The grapple or neck tackle really restricts to the player's movement, takes a bit out of them and hurts them. It slows down the play the ball which is the whole idea."

Cullen said officials had almost succeeded in eradicating the dangerous lifting tackle from the game because they started charging and suspending players.

He said the same blitz was needed on serial grapple offenders.

"If they are serious about it then they should start suspending players," he said.

"Coaches won't allow players to do it because they won't want them suspended or having penalties cost them games."

"I won't say they're frightened because they're tough men, but they get a bit anxious about the position they get put in sometimes.

"Any move forward is positive."
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

I hope this crack down is like every other crack down they've done on grapple tackles. Storm are one of the least penalised generally coz we aren't the only ones doing them!
cam
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Surandy wrote: Petero should shut the *I SHOULDN'T SWEAR, But I have anger issues!* up as he did a number of tackles some of which were as bad as what we were being penalised for, same with Thorn.
Exactly. I counted a number of high shots on the w/e. And guess who also grapples... (Posted these on LU), *I SHOULDN'T SWEAR*ing hypocrite  :x -

Lets sue him for tackling Billy from behind which could cause a knee injury  :P :x

Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Now that they've altered the rule interpretation and made it more open, my concern is its gonna cost us a hell of a lot. I hope i am wrong but i can see us being penailsed out of the game and out of the finals over this issue.