Melbourne at 'home' in finals?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
pommy storm
Squall
Squall

Does this mean that all storm finals games (assuming we finish top of the ladder) will be in Melbourne Olympic park/telstra????

SCG Trust and NRL Strike New Finals Deal
Wednesday, May 2, 2007 - 10:59 AM

The SCG Trust has reached agreement with the National Rugby League to host NRL Telstra Premiership Finals Series fixtures at Aussie Stadium through to the end of the 2011 season.

Under the agreement, and the new NRL Finals scheduling programme, Aussie Stadium will qualify for all home team semi-finals involving the Roosters and be available as a ‘home city’ venue for Sydney clubs in week two and a ‘home region’ venue for all NSW teams in week three.

The new agreement continues and extends Aussie Stadium's strong association with Rugby League which commenced when the Stadium was opened in 1988.

SCG Trust Chief Executive, Mr Jamie Barkley, said the agreement was great for the game and the fans.

"The NRL recognises that Aussie Stadium is an outstanding Rugby League venue and we are delighted that more Finals series matches will be scheduled  here through to 2011," said Mr Barkley.

"Aussie Stadium's magnificent match day atmosphere has been enhanced with installation of an additional 3,000 seats which takes the seating capacity to 45,500 while spectator facilities have been upgraded as part of the recent $6.95 million capital works program," he added.

NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said the agreement was another positive step for the game.

"The NRL wants to showcase the Telstra Premiership Finals Series at the best available venues and Aussie Stadium is an outstanding Rugby League ground with a proud history and tradition," said Mr Gallop.

“While our new format gives us greater flexibility in where we schedule finals, it also recognises Aussie Stadium as a preferred finals venue.”

Source: NRL
When the red, red robin goes bob,bob,bobin'
billies later
Squall
Squall

Yes.  If we win in week one at OP, the Prelim will be at Telstra Dome in Week 3 (guaranteed.

If we lose in week one, I think we'll host the final at TD in week 2 (but this is not guaranteed).
pommy storm
Squall
Squall

Wohoo!! :lol: :D :)
When the red, red robin goes bob,bob,bobin'
givemeas
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

You guys are sooo wrong. If Melbourne wins at home in Week one we play in the Preliminary final in week 3 in SYDNEY (not Melbourne)

Week 1 is the only game we have in Melbourne. Same as last year!
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

givemeas wrote: You guys are sooo wrong. If Melbourne wins at home in Week one we play in the Preliminary final in week 3 in SYDNEY (not Melbourne)

Incorrect.  During last year they re-wrote the finals sequence.  It was reported at the time that if they brought the new sequence in immediately instead of delaying it until 2007, our (3rd week) finals game against St George would have been at Telstra Dome.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/sinbin/archives ... _chan.html
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

I don't know if there is any agreement with Telstra Dome per se regarding a Melbourne finals match at the week 2/3 stage.

The arrangement as announced by the NRL was that from 2007 if Storm are entitled to a home final in weeks 2 or 3 that Melbourne will host the final. One condition placed on this is that the stadium must have a minimum capacity of 25,000. Telstra Dome would be the most likely venue in that scenario but I am unsure how that would go with the scheduling of the Melbourne Victory soccer matches being played there.

Who knows, we might end up with another MCG game if TD is unavailable.
givemeas
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

It was announced the other day that in Week 2 or 3 the Storm would not be playing in Melbourne but would be playing at Telstra Stadium in Sydney
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Where was is announced and by whom? This would represent a change in policy of the NRL and thus makes your statement suspicious...
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Buzz wrote: Where was is announced and by whom? This would represent a change in policy of the NRL and thus makes your statement suspicious...
No doubt he is confusing Telstra Dome with Telstra Stadium.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Didnt they sort something out as to if 2 out-of-Sydney teams meet in week 3 the game will be played out of Sydney??. This was after the Storm lost to the Cowboys in 05!
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surandy wrote: I don't know if there is any agreement with Telstra Dome per se regarding a Melbourne finals match at the week 2/3 stage.

The arrangement as announced by the NRL was that from 2007 if Storm are entitled to a home final in weeks 2 or 3 that Melbourne will host the final. One condition placed on this is that the stadium must have a minimum capacity of 25,000. Telstra Dome would be the most likely venue in that scenario but I am unsure how that would go with the scheduling of the Melbourne Victory soccer matches being played there.

Should we host a prelim final there won't be a problem with scheduling that weekend as the Victory play in Newcastle. If we do happen to lose in week 1 and have to play week 2, that may be a problem depending on when the NRL schedules the games as the Victory play at the Dome on Sunday that weekend. But in saying that, last year the week 2 semi's were played on Friday and Saturday nights so if that's the case again it won't be a problem.
billies later
Squall
Squall

givemeas wrote: You guys are sooo wrong. If Melbourne wins at home in Week one we play in the Preliminary final in week 3 in SYDNEY (not Melbourne)

PS  Calling someone SO WRONG only gets them off side.

I confirmed with WALDRON on Monday night that we would get a home prelim final if we win the first week!
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Surandy wrote: I don't know if there is any agreement with Telstra Dome per se regarding a Melbourne finals match at the week 2/3 stage.

Can't see the MCG being accommodating during the AFL Finals
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
givemeas
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

PS  Calling someone SO WRONG only gets them off side.

I confirmed with WALDRON on Monday night that we would get a home prelim final if we win the first week!
[/quote]

Sorry I must have heard incorrectly. Please accepy my apology.

It would be great to get two home games during the finals. Bring em on!!!
Storm19
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Telstra Dome is available for NRL Preliminary Final weekend as the Victory are travelling to Energy Australia Stadium that weekend. As long as we don't clash with the Victory for their first home game on Sat 1 Sep as we host the Titans on the same round. Last year we clashed with the Victory when we played the Sea Eagles.
Lima's Lunatics. Stuff Kaufusi, IT'S LIMA TIME.