Newton next year

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cross signed with the novacastrians
[quote="Buzz"]
I really have to say that the only way that Boofa played at that kick from Orford was if he cracked a fat.
[/quote]

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/KimmorleyKiller/TheT
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

You can't make a great or even good player out of one that has no talent,so most of the guys who came here unwanted or unknown had talent.The difference is in the team mate structure & the coaching staff in Melbourne. If they then want to take that re-discovered talent elsewhere  :salute: It's their talent - their future.Salary cap & the pecking order also play a big part.

As for post 2010  ??? Who knows  ??? We may even be fielding Victorians by then  ;-)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
ryanstorm
Squall
Squall

you can't blame them for wanting pay rises as they want to make plenty of money while they are in the game.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mike_The_Undertaker wrote:
steaming stormer wrote: how long is Falou signed?? May not require an upgrade yet
he'd be on not much more than match payments. Upgraded contract for sure next year.
no need to upgrade him next year though if he's signed already.  I'd expect the year after to be the upgrade time
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

steaming stormer wrote:
Mike_The_Undertaker wrote:
steaming stormer wrote: how long is Falou signed?? May not require an upgrade yet
he'd be on not much more than match payments. Upgraded contract for sure next year.
no need to upgrade him next year though if he's signed already.  I'd expect the year after to be the upgrade time

Disagree strongly.

Part of it is about showing good faith.
"We know you're a talent, we think you're worth more than you're currently getting and we're willing to show our appreciation".
Storm have been doing this for several years and the dividends of showing faith are there to see. That sort of loyalty and respect run both ways and add to club culture. Slater, Inglis, Coops, DJ, Hoff - all knew they would be offered huge amounts to go elsewhere and all extended existing contracts rather than play the field and take the cash.

Like the Broncos - players take less money to be a Bronco.
That's how you develop a dynasty, and that's where Storm are heading.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
bnz
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

if king is definately leaving, with the departure of cross, donnelly, and bartlett, there is a bit of cash left over......

we could probably expect a couple of departures over the summer too.....crock is always injured and may throw in the towel or something like that.....we may however have to increase the money we are paying to our reserves, players like aubs and lima to help retain them.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote:
steaming stormer wrote:
Mike_The_Undertaker wrote: he'd be on not much more than match payments. Upgraded contract for sure next year.

Disagree strongly.

Part of it is about showing good faith.
"We know you're a talent, we think you're worth more than you're currently getting and we're willing to show our appreciation".
Storm have been doing this for several years and the dividends of showing faith are there to see. That sort of loyalty and respect run both ways and add to club culture. Slater, Inglis, Coops, DJ, Hoff - all knew they would be offered huge amounts to go elsewhere and all extended existing contracts rather than play the field and take the cash.

Like the Broncos - players take less money to be a Bronco.
I agree in principle, but at the same time, you need to juggle the cap, so that doesn't allow for upgrades all the time during a contracted period.  Reality is that the next contract you sign is a reward for what you've done in the previous contract. I am not saying no upgrade at all, particularly if he is on match payments, which I doubt anyway being a highly sought after aus schoolboy, but you can't afford to go silly when we are losing a few forwards
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Does anyone think Geyer will be going around next year - a little more cash should be available if he isnt
evilc
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

mystormboys wrote: Does anyone think Geyer will be going around next year - a little more cash should be available if he isnt
Geyer would play for $1 if asked he is one of the few dedicated Storm players.
evilc
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Geyer will make the right decision for the club. If that means signing on a minimum contract and play during periods of need (e.g. Origin) he'd do that. He has already indicated several times he won't burden the club as his priority is the club. He is the consummate clubman.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

TC wrote: That's how you develop a dynasty, and that's where Storm are heading.
And I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Rod and Danny say...
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Slightly annoyed with Danny. Been coming to almost all the home games and not ONCE has he joined us up on the Bai Stand! Bah! ;)
Mrs Cooper Cronk
Squall
Squall

I think with Cross heading to Newcastle, Newton will be a good pick up as his replacement. He has shown he has slipped right in and he is worthy of wearing the Storm jumper. I thought he played a great game last night, and he scored his first try with us!!

So is King set to leave us is he?? Dont hear much about the League stuff over here in WA.
[img]http://i20.tinypic.com/2wmf60p.jpg[/img]
mb09
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

luvlicca wrote: I think with Cross heading to Newcastle, Newton will be a good pick up as his replacement. He has shown he has slipped right in and he is worthy of wearing the Storm jumper. I thought he played a great game last night, and he scored his first try with us!!

So is King set to leave us is he?? Dont hear much about the League stuff over here in WA.
Apparently for King to stay he wants a long term deal & some sort of post career work like Robbie Kearns has had.Appears he wants to stay.