How can we make a statement about 9 at the game this week?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Goat
Squall
Squall

bunnies wrote: Buzz

Time to do something here!!

Cheers
Bunnies :D :D
Is Buzz some kind of ShadowKiller?  Cos only a sword wrapped in four leaved clovers can hurt me.  Oops, shouldn't have said that.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

We see it time and time again, that a channel will put big ratings programs up against another channels programs to try to hurt it. Only during major events (Olympics etc) do the stations without the rights back off and let the other station have the glory.

So why is it that ordinary games of football (AFL or League) can't be shown against the other? And surely our argument must be if Nein isn't going to show League the same day - let Foxtel show it. Even at 9:30pm is an infinite improvement on this weeks 11:45 or the standard post midnight display.

So Goal is very much coming across at a Nein Apologist here. Obviously someone who doesn't care about the rights of sporting viewers. Surely, that's the reason why these networks pay so much for them - why don't they use them?

Oh - no Shadowkiller. Pretty much sure they'd scare me off! Four leaved clovers? Why I have a patch of them growing out the back right now! ;)
Goat
Squall
Squall

Buzz wrote: We see it time and time again, that a channel will put big ratings programs up against another channels programs to try to hurt it. Only during major events (Olympics etc) do the stations without the rights back off and let the other station have the glory.

So why is it that ordinary games of football (AFL or League) can't be shown against the other? And surely our argument must be if Nein isn't going to show League the same day - let Foxtel show it. Even at 9:30pm is an infinite improvement on this weeks 11:45 or the standard post midnight display.

So Goal is very much coming across at a Nein Apologist here. Obviously someone who doesn't care about the rights of sporting viewers. Surely, that's the reason why these networks pay so much for them - why don't they use them?

Oh - no Shadowkiller. Pretty much sure they'd scare me off! Four leaved clovers? Why I have a patch of them growing out the back right now! ;)
I'm a pragmatist.  No FTA TV station will put on a program that will lose in the ratings just to be loyal to a handful of fans. 
lotti

what about getting Foxtel to allow customers to elect which channel 9 they view, the League fans would be flocking to sign up for the Sydney or the Brisbane channel 9.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
pommy storm
Squall
Squall

lotti wrote: what about getting Foxtel to allow customers to elect which channel 9 they view, the League fans would be flocking to sign up for the Sydney or the Brisbane channel 9.
They do that on UK pay TV (Sky TV). You automaticaaly picked up your regional BBC Channel but could also access the other regions further down the channels. e.g BBC scotland, wales, ireland. Most of the main shows were the same but had regional differences especially sport (the RU 6 Nations, soccer)
I think their argument is that they are losing viewers for the more regionalised advertisers but 'if' viewing figures for league are 'soooo low' surely the advertisers wouldn't be bothered about losing a 'few' viewers'
When the red, red robin goes bob,bob,bobin'
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

lotti wrote: what about getting Foxtel to allow customers to elect which channel 9 they view, the League fans would be flocking to sign up for the Sydney or the Brisbane channel 9.
That's (regrettably) illegal in Australia.  Something about emergency services or emergency public broadcast information IIRC.
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
lotti

yeah but Austar has the NSW ABC on in QLD.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Cheers
YEP !! Stop feeding the TROLL  ;D
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
joefromthesideline
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Goal wrote: No FTA TV station will put on a program that will lose in the ratings just to be loyal to a handful of fans. 
It's not about being loyal to a handful of fans.  It's about being loyal to the organisation that helps channel 9 win the ratings in Sydney and Brisbane.  The NRL controls the product which helps channel 9 earn heaps in NSW & QLD and shouls, as a minimu, get Storm games only shown on channel 9 or on main event in victoria as they do in NSW/QLD for AFL.
glynny
Squall
Squall

joefromthesideline wrote:
Goal wrote: No FTA TV station will put on a program that will lose in the ratings just to be loyal to a handful of fans. 
It's not about being loyal to a handful of fans.  It's about being loyal to the organisation that helps channel 9 win the ratings in Sydney and Brisbane.  The NRL controls the product which helps channel 9 earn heaps in NSW & QLD and shouls, as a minimu, get Storm games only shown on channel 9 or on main event in victoria as they do in NSW/QLD for AFL.
I agree with that but we aren't even getting the storm (away) games at a decent hour, but our 1st home game we did I still can't figure out how the tigers game is in their eyes obviously a bigger game than the broncos game
Go the mighty storm.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

glynny wrote: I agree with that but we aren't even getting the storm (away) games at a decent hour, but our 1st home game we did I still can't figure out how the tigers game is in their eyes obviously a bigger game than the broncos game
So Channel 9's Director of programming  :roll: could point to the low ratings figures anytime through the season & say
"See this is why we don't show NRL games at a sensible time"  :bootyshake:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
glynny
Squall
Squall

bourbon_rat wrote:
glynny wrote: I agree with that but we aren't even getting the storm (away) games at a decent hour, but our 1st home game we did I still can't figure out how the tigers game is in their eyes obviously a bigger game than the broncos game
So Channel 9's Director of programming  :roll: could point to the low ratings figures anytime through the season & say
They got over 300,00 victorians watching it on top of the 15,000 at the game and last year the NRL gf outrated the AFL gf in this town
Go the mighty storm.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Sam Newman on tonights AFL Footy Show. He was just in the process of bagging Seven over their shortened end to the V8's so they could start the footy on time when he said:

"If they're going to buy the rights to all these sporting events, the least they could do is find some time to show them!"
Goat
Squall
Squall

bourbon_rat wrote:

Cheers
YEP !! Stop feeding the TROLL  ;D
I'm not a troll, I'm only saying things that Waldron himself says  . . . I listened to SEN this morning when he was on, did you?  Then you'd know we're of like minds.
Goat
Squall
Squall

glynny wrote:
bourbon_rat wrote:
They got over 300,00 victorians watching it on top of the 15,000 at the game and last year the NRL gf outrated the AFL gf in this town
Really? 300,000 . . . Brian Waldron doesn't think so . . .  more like 220, which is about 200 thousand short of what normally goes to air.